northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Aug 8th-10th Severe Wx

free_man

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would someone who is going to be around and checking things often during the day be able to shoot me any texts with any latest developments? I may not be able to respond b/c they have very strict cell phone policies here but I can sneak and take a look at my phone every now and then.

Send me a DM on here or Twitter for my #. I'll closely be monitoring.

Well you need the LLJ for shear. 

Yeah but if you have LLJ winds of 30-35 knots over you but the core (streak) of like 40 knots is just east that isn't necessarily a bad thing.  I swear I've read somewhere that being just west of the axis of the LLJ is good...as long as the winds over that area are still sufficient...although I could be mistaken. 

Socked in with heavy rain ongoing and upstream looks no better.  Saturated atmosphere with not a hint of CIN and that much llv helicity is a recipe for this.  Perhaps we can clear out this afternoon and have another go but I have to think it's going to be very hard to recover any meaningful instability.

Socked in with heavy rain ongoing and upstream looks no better.  Saturated atmosphere with not a hint of CIN and that much llv helicity is a recipe for this.  Perhaps we can clear out this afternoon and have another go but I have to think it's going to be very hard to recover any meaningful instability.

Yeah radar does not look good. Lots of +RA I guess lol

Bigger story may be the sultan signal today from BDL to ORH.

WV doesn't look very good for hopes of clearing, although SE of 84 may see a few quick breaks. Moisture filling in, not the opposite that you'd hope for to ramp up the severe potential.

WV doesn't look very good for hopes of clearing, although SE of 84 may see a few quick breaks. Moisture filling in, not the opposite that you'd hope for to ramp up the severe potential.

TBH I really didn't expect any sun today so that's not a huge surprise. We'll see what happen... I still think there's severe/tornado potential especially after seeing that 12z OKX sounding. 

Yeah - it has enough sb CAPE for some decent action if convective mode is right - maybe a severe threat NYC metro to Long Island and coastal CT south of the main slug of rain?

Yeah this prolonged rain isn't helping areas further north...a concern that is real right now. I wonder if those cells in SE NY state are ones to watch as they head into CT and more unstable air across srn CT gets advected into it?

Yeah this prolonged rain isn't helping areas further north...a concern that is real right now. I wonder if those cells in SE NY state are ones to watch as they head into CT and more unstable air across srn CT gets advected into it?

Latest HRRR seems to favor the 84 corridor in the western half of CT by midday for some stronger storms. We'll see. It's too bad the best kinematic support is displaced further north where it's just a solid slug of rain.

Latest HRRR seems to favor the 84 corridor in the western half of CT by midday for some stronger storms. We'll see. It's too bad the best kinematic support is displaced further north where it's just a solid slug of rain.

This actually is pretty common. If you think about it physically... where you have the best low level shear or "turning" you have the strongest warm air advection and lift. So you're favoring synoptic scale lift where helicity is the highest in many cases.  

This actually is pretty common. If you think about it physically... where you have the best low level shear or "turning" you have the strongest warm air advection and lift. So you're favoring synoptic scale lift where helicity is the highest in many cases.

This makes sense. It's a reason why with this type setup, it's much more common to see low CAPE/high shear, or in the case further south, elevated CAPE/lower shear.

12z RAP likes LI, southern CT by 2-4 p.m., although probably overestimating instability. HRRR is similar with the time frame, but says eastern CT has more issues destabilizing.

Maybe the area to watch is eastern PA/NJ and see how that advects northeast.

Here in AUG it's been mod-hvy RA since just before 7 AM, and Doppler estimate is in the 1.5" to 2" range, with some 2"+ pixels in the area (and under 1/2" IMBY, which is just fine with me.) More bright echoes upstream, then the forecast includes a 2nd +RA episode this aft as the CF approaches.

Here in AUG it's been mod-hvy RA since just before 7 AM, and Doppler estimate is in the 1.5" to 2" range, with some 2"+ pixels in the area (and under 1/2" IMBY, which is just fine with me.) More bright echoes upstream, then the forecast includes a 2nd +RA episode this aft as the CF approaches.

Nice!  Much more than here.

68.4/68, with 1.37" in the bucket.

Archived