Newest Member
    northernriwx
Aug 8th-10th Severe Wx

free_man

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

*Fingers crossed for tomorrow*

I just spent about 40 minutes reading a thread from last summer. It was mainly posts from July 18th. But I didn't want to bump a thread that old. Someone posted a video of a possible funnel in Lynn MA. That video was all over the news the next day and drove me crazy because it wasn't from Lynn. It was recorded in Woburn. In my office park. While I was about 50 yards away on the other side of the building. My avatar is a picture I took less than a minute before that video was filmed. It moved out of my sight quick due to all the buildings and trees. Most of the local news meteorologists thought it was a funnel. There was definitely rotation where I was. I'm still bitter about not being on that side of the building :angry:

Anyway, back to the discussion....

*Fingers crossed for tomorrow*

I just spent about 40 minutes reading a thread from last summer. It was mainly posts from July 18th. But I didn't want to bump a thread that old. Someone posted a video of a possible funnel in Lynn MA. That video was all over the news the next day and drove me crazy because it wasn't from Lynn. It was recorded in Woburn. In my office park. While I was about 50 yards away on the other side of the building. My avatar is a picture I took less than a minute before that video was filmed. It moved out of my sight quick due to all the buildings and trees. Most of the local news meteorologists thought it was a funnel. There was definitely rotation where I was. I'm still bitter about not being on that side of the building :angry:

Anyway, back to the discussion....

I had a trip to boston that day down i93 and drove through it in medford/stoneham. Was a nice storm.

First batch of heavy rain over NE PA/SE NY should progress through western New England over the next several hours. We then might get a break and the level of destabilization will be key. NAM has backed off somewhat and the model reflectivity is actually very meh now. HRRR is in range and really likes early to mid afternoon across southern New England. FWIW Wiz, SPC SREF still has 30% 12-hr severe probs for part of CT and now there's a 5% circle around the state for tornado ingredients at 18z I believe.

First batch of heavy rain over NE PA/SE NY should progress through western New England over the next several hours. We then might get a break and the level of destabilization will be key. NAM has backed off somewhat and the model reflectivity is actually very meh now. HRRR is in range and really likes early to mid afternoon across southern New England. FWIW Wiz, SPC SREF still has 30% 12-hr severe probs for part of CT and now there's a 5% circle around the state for tornado ingredients at 18z I believe.

Yeah once that area of precip clears the area we then see if we can manage any breaks of sunshine.  We really won't need a great deal of Cape today but we will also have to watch storm mode.  With no cap and juicy atmosphere with strong lift, we just may see multiple bands/areas of heavy showers with just embedded thunder develop.  

With no cap and juicy atmosphere with strong lift, we just may see multiple bands/areas of heavy showers with just embedded thunder develop.

This is definitely a concern, especially with plenty of pwat. It's really going to come down to nowcasting and watching radar very closely.

Unless we get those breaks of sun, I would have Scooter flags thrown all over the place.

Meanwhile, the batch that's working through has some nice amounts in it.

68.2/68, .40"

Unless we get those breaks of sun, I would have Scooter flags thrown all over the place.

68.2/68, .40"

Those days where CT had some spin ups really didn't have any sun. However, no two setups are the same so it may be meh if we just have continuous shwrs/tstms. However cloud bases will be low and with the shear we have...it's certainly one to watch especially if we see a few breaks or brightening of the skies later this morning.

68.2/68, .40"

Really won't need a great deal of sun today.  Given the shear, even 500 J/KG of Cape would be more than sufficient for some weak/brief spinups...however, if we were able to manage more breaks of sun and get some temps into the low 80's or a few ticks higher, then we could possibly look at something more than just a EF0 or EF1.  

Given how dews should be 70F or even a tad higher, that alone should yield to capes close to 500 J/KG.

Back edge of the heavy/steady rain shield is basically to the NJ/NY border now. Don't have satellite imagery to work with yet, but based off of obs and WV, it looks like there's some modest drying down in the mid-Atlantic states. Keep an eye on this to see if SNE can break through to some sunshine.

Back edge of the heavy/steady rain shield is basically to the NJ/NY border now. Don't have satellite imagery to work with yet, but based off of obs and WV, it looks like there's some modest drying down in the mid-Atlantic states. Keep an eye on this to see if SNE can break through to some sunshine.

Gotta wonder if the GFS is hinting at that b/c the 6z run has some decent instability

gfsNE_con_sbcape_012.gif

Really won't need a great deal of sun today.  Given the shear, even 500 J/KG of Cape would be more than sufficient for some weak/brief spinups...however, if we were able to manage more breaks of sun and get some temps into the low 80's or a few ticks higher, then we could possibly look at something more than just a EF0 or EF1.  

Given how dews should be 70F or even a tad higher, that alone should yield to capes close to 500 J/KG.

Per yours and Scott's responses, I  realize I should spend more time reading than opining. :)

To the degree we don't need to rely on much sun is a good thing--those breaks might be a little tough to come by.

683/68

.51"

post-462-0-75819300-1376046309_thumb.gif

Wow...looking at satellite imagery, we may actually have a solid chance to see some peaks of sun...and within the next 3 hours or so as well, especially across western CT

Yup--that area does look to have some clearing inbound.  You folks in CT have really had the liion-share this  year (well, you and PF).  Clearing looks a little less pronounced for areas in NW Mass, but we might breakout for a while, too.  That those breaks might be happening through some peak heating time bodes well.

.62"

Archived