• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
July 2013 Observations and Discussions

bluewave

Isn't the record high minimum 86 degrees? Which would make this morning tied with the warmest morning on record.

Yeah, if 86 was the actual low it was a tie. I live out in Western Nassau and even I couldn't fall below 80

last night with a low of 81.9 in suburbia.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yesterday's low was 83.

So far today's low is 86 but we have to wait until tonight to see if we drop below that.

1 small pop up shower or a sea breeze would ruin that.

Are we expecting pop up storms? I don't think the sea breeze will drop LGA below 86 by midnight, if it even gets there.

I checked Wednesday when we got south winds for 7 hours from 4 or 5PM and onward and the temp dropped from 97 to 86 by midnight. If we get to 100+ and less of a sea breeze duration I can't see LGA of all places dropping below 86. We'll see.

Are we expecting pop up storms? I don't think the sea breeze will drop LGA below 86 by midnight, if it even gets there.

I checked Wednesday when we got south winds for 7 hours from 4 or 5PM and onward and the temp dropped from 97 to 86 by midnight. If we get to 100+ and less of a sea breeze duration I can't see LGA of all places dropping below 86. We'll see.

We aren't expecting pop up showers but its always possible in these steamy setups.

Today's sea breeze is gonna be much stronger. Offshore buoys are already at 15 knots and are progged to increase to 20-25 knots by noon with higher gusts.

The Nam and GFS only shows around 25kts of effective shear tomorrow afternoon and evening. Not enough for organized severe.

I'll take a quick downpour just to knock down the temps. It's already a steambath out there anyway, might as well have a cooler steambath.

H5 tells the tale. Lower than normal heights in the Mid-west / Southeast with a major positive height anomaly at H5 over New England.

21mbzup.gif

The pattern doesn't support continued heat. In fact new Euro weeklies show near to below normal temps starting next week for 4 straight weeks . Not one week above normal.

87/79, these dews are just insane.  My dew on my home station is now higher than it was when Irene hit.

All we need is to maintain a dewpoint of 72 during peak heating for a 100 degree temperature to yield a HX of 110.

The pattern doesn't support continued heat. In fact new Euro weeklies show near to below normal temps starting next week for 4 straight weeks . Not one week above normal.

Pending on rain next week 7/21 - 7/27 will likely finish above normal.  Overall warm/humid pattern (less heat / 90 degree days) next week.

Records 7/19

NYC: 102 (1977)

EWR: 100 (1999, 1977)

LGA: 99 (1977)

JFK: 97 (1963)

EWR and LGA have a high chance of breaking that record tomorrow.

JFK will be very close because there is a definite strong see breeze on the models.

NYC has no chance.

NYC will make a run but likely come up short.  any clouds or popo storms would hurt the others as well, but agree we get 3 of 4 records today 4th straight year of record July heat.

Pending on rain next week 7/21 - 7/27 will likely finish above normal.  Overall warm/humid pattern (less heat / 90 degree days) next week.

It looks like we are in moist flow with some unsettled weather, most of next week. Latest GFS and Euro bring back dews 70+ by Tuesday.

It looks like we are in moist flow with some unsettled weather, most of next week. Latest GFS and Euro bring back dews 70+ by Tuesday.

Certainly not as hot but the flow argues humid/warm but also wet.  Pending on how much rain/clouds we get I suspect next week is also above normal.  7/28 - 8/3 probably the same but warmer towards 8/2 as it is looking now.

Barring any thunderstorms that bring the minimum temperature for NYC below this morning's figure of 83°, today could mark only the 6th day on record that NYC had a minimum temperature of 83° or higher. The five dates with such high minimum temperatures are:

July 6, 1999: 83°

July 15, 1995: 84°

August 2, 2006: 83°

July 22, 2011: 84°

July 23, 2011: 83°

All of those dates with the exception of August 2, 2006 saw the temperature rise to 100° or higher. On August 2, 2006, the mercury reached 97°.

Barring cooling thunderstorms that would bring the minimum temperature below 80°, July 18-19, 2013 would mark only the 7th occasion on which consecutive days saw minimum readings at or above 80°. The six occasions on which there were consecutive 80° minimum temperatures are:

August 8-9, 1980

August 14-15, 1988

July 5-6, 1999

July 3-4, 2002

July 6-7, 2010

July 22-23, 2011

Archived