• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
July 2013 Observations and Discussions

bluewave

NYC began the transformation during the cival war, but it was always a densley populated area. The birth of the industrial age played a large role. The 1870's also saw the beginning of a large uptick in foreign immigration. Construction began on the Brooklyn Bridge on January 3, 1870. Hard to believe that the bridge was built almost as long ago as the end of the Cival war and before automobilies were invented. Here is a depiction of lower Manhattan and Brooklyn circa 1870's

1870newyork.jpg

Not to drag this off topic but many NYC residents don't realize just how historical the land is in which they walk on. For whatever reason the British passed by New York during the war of 1812 on their way to Washington DC. Had a major battle taken place it could have greatly altered the outcome of what the city is today. Many people today argue that the wall from Wall Street came from an actual defense wall that was built in the 1600's to keep intruders out. The wall started at Pearl Street, which was the shoreline at that time, crossing the Indian path Broadway and ending at the other shoreline (today's Trinity Place), where it took a turn south and ran along the shore until it ended at the old fort.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We aren't expecting pop up showers but its always possible in these steamy setups.

Today's sea breeze is gonna be much stronger. Offshore buoys are already at 15 knots and are progged to increase to 20-25 knots by noon with higher gusts.

I don't think JFK gets nearly as high as yesterday. Maybe low 90s. But with that plus the horrible humidity, the HI may still be 100+.

cfsv2 also agreeing with the Euro. August will likely be opposite of July.

The Euro ensembles shift the WAR a few degrees east off of New England in the 6-10 day with plenty of moisture

here in the way of thunderstorms. As long as the WAR remains just off the coast into early August, fronts will

tend to stall out here with more opportunities for convection. 

The Euro ensembles shift the WAR a few degrees east off of New England in the 6-10 day with plenty of moisture

here in the way of thunderstorms. As long as the WAR remains just off the coast into early August, fronts will

attachicon.giftest8.gif

Which is the the equivalent of slightly below to near normal temps.

SSTs right now are insane.

Texas Tower off the NJ coast has been between 78 and 80F and the air temp there didn't dip below 80F overnight.

The buoy at the NY Harbor entrance is in the upper 70s.

A buoy in Nantucket Sound is currently reporting both an air and water temp of 75F (and had its water temp get up to 77F yesterday).

A buoy off the northern Maine coast has a water temp between 58 and 60F, which is crazy for way up there.

God help us if a storm comes up the coast later this season.

SSTs right now are insane.

Texas Tower off the NJ coast has been between 78 and 80F and the air temp there didn't dip below 80F overnight.

The buoy at the NY Harbor entrance is in the upper 70s.

A buoy in Nantucket Sound is currently reporting both an air and water temp of 75F (and had its water temp get up to 77F yesterday).

A buoy off the northern Maine coast has a water temp between 58 and 60F, which is crazy for way up there.

God help us if a storm comes up the coast later this season.

http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130719/NEWS/307190336

This remidns me of the end of June/early July warm/humid should keep the area overall above normal before next WAR expansion.  With that - it will certainly be cooler than this week with more limited 90s (7/21 - 7/27).  Beyond there, it wouldnt surprise me if the WAR trended fruther west on guidance in subsequent model runs.

attachicon.giftest8.gif

Not necessarily equivalent. Convection is often diurnal and widely-scattered in these setups, without a well-organized storm system.

When the dew manages to get all the way up to 80F, that's very impressive and very dangerous. Those who have to be outdoors are severely at risk for heat related illnesses and I don't envy anyone who has to get on those subways. 

It's even worse than yesterday. Many HI's are already well over 100F with dews in the upper 70s to low 80s. 

I like heat but this is un bearable. Especially in my suit walking in city and subeays. Awful

Agree. I hate wearing a suit in this heat. Thank god they told us at the Academy to leave our suit jackets home. A lot of people have been passing out this whole week from the heat.

Agree. I hate wearing a suit in this heat. Thank god they told us at the Academy to leave our suit jackets home. A lot of people have been passing out this whole week from the heat.

I've been in heat as high as 110 but it was dry as a bone. High dews just add salt to the wound.

Archived