Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Christmas/Post Christmas Threat

Nikolai

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought as much from the 168 hr psu graphic. it wouldn't take much for a much better hit.

looks like the areas with best precip in va would have some mixing issues but the euro has had this for a few runs now so... gfs out to lunch imo but i guess there's a risk at this pt

looks like the areas with best precip in va would have some mixing issues but the euro has had this for a few runs now so... gfs out to lunch imo but i guess there's a risk at this pt

In a nina year, heck, any year. The euro look is the more likely solution than a look like the gfs. Still the D+8 pattern makes me more interested than I'd be otherwise.

I find it annoying that two people on here are in semi troll mode because they have travel plans during this potential...not you terpeast.

Hmm. I hope you're not talking about my post that I quoted below. If you are, then I think you misunderstood what I meant. I've got tons of family and friends in this area and although I won't be here for the holiday, I sure hope that they get to enjoy a Christmas storm. :snowman:

I've been waiting for a true white Christmas all of my life and watch it happen this year because I'm getting on a plane Christmas eve at 7AM. :arrowhead:

I posted this in the 12z model thread also but having some models a little south is a good thing this time. The 12/19 event was different because the 'north" trend we see usually would not help us, the problems were the trough axis being too far east, not enough stj energy, and a late phase. None of that is improved by a north trend of the H5 energy. Actually it was made worse. The normal error of all models from 7 days out is to dig h5 impulses and lows too far south in the CONUS. This is why we see the "north" trend. many confused it for a west trend because the coast moves SW to NE so a north trend also brings precip further inland as you move up the coast but it is a north not a west trend in reality. Having the mean of all the models a little south of DC right now is a very good thing. I will be in Reston VA for the holidays and right now I would still be more worried about mixing issues then a miss south from the data as it is now. This setup is infinitely more promising then the last one. Not sure I buy the crazy 12z GFS solution but I think a moderate snowstorm is very possible. Then again, the euro ensemble mean is very encouraging and we are still at a range when even the euro can not be seeing the intensity of the system yet. I also like the whole pattern through New Years for the potential of snowfall in general. A retrograding block over canada, extreme -AO, and it looks like that freaking pinwheel of death over the PAC nw is relaxing for a while. This could be a good end to 2010.

Hmm. I hope you're not talking about my post that I quoted below. If you are, then I think you misunderstood what I meant. I've got tons of family and friends in this area and although I won't be here for the holiday, I sure hope that they get to enjoy a Christmas storm. :snowman:

No not you...

from hpc this morning.....

PRELIMINARY EXTENDED FORECAST DISCUSSION

NWS HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL PREDICTION CENTER CAMP SPRINGS MD

400 AM EST SUN DEC 19 2010

VALID 12Z THU DEC 23 2010 - 12Z SUN DEC 26 2010

...INCREASING CHANCES FOR A MAJOR WINTER STORM FROM THE MIDWEST TO

THE EAST COAST TOWARD CHRISTMAS...

USED THE 00Z ECMWF FOR THE PRELIMINARY FRONTS AND PRESSURES FOR

DAYS 3 THROUGH 7. THE 00Z ECMWF WAS IN PHENOMENALLY GOOD

AGREEMENT WITH THE GFS WITH THE TRACK AND RELATIVE INTENSITY OF

THE MAJOR WAVE TRACKING ACROSS THE MIDWEST DAY 5 TO OFF THE MID