• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Moore, OK Tornado 5/20/2013

I was thinking about this last night. If there was any community that would have done it it would have been Moore after May 3, 1999. At the end of the day it's likely far too expensive and the logistics of getting hundreds of kids into a storm shelter is probably no easy task.

An interior hallway of a well built brick school is probably the best place to be 999/1,000 times.

Thing is, most schools aren't as well built as one would like to think. The amount of un-reinforced cinder block is a major problem to say the least.

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of all the awful and heart wrenching pictures from today, this one tops them all.

My wife was amazed that the backpacks were still on the hook - she noticed this from the aerial shots.

there was a shot on CNN last night that had significant destruction around a school and yet a plastic piece of playground equipment appeared unharmed and unmoved....

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I disagree with the potential of our collective capability.

I'd imagine the NWS/SPC would disagree with you as there's probably nobody more hurt/disappointed when there's wide-scale loss of life/destruction from a tornadic storm - and I do imagine they feel some responsibility. 

I don't think these guys will come into work tomorrow and say 'we did the best we could yesterday.'

While their research/risk-outlines/watches/warnings provided directionally the right forecast, not even the best mets on this board could have told you at 8 AM this morning that there would DEFINITELY BE A LOSS OF LIFE AND PROPERTY - WITHOUT QUESTION.

cannot live with saying it's 'impossible' to predict, and I don't think the folks at the NWS/SPC can either.

That's not to say they are at fault, but I certainly do not think they share your opinion that it's 'impossible' to predict.

That's why they come into work every day - make a forecast, analyze the results, and then apply learning to improve future forecasts until you can deliver a 99.9999% accurate forecast - all in the spirit of protecting public life and property.

I firmly believe a cell merger into the parent supercell near Newcastle was the trigger that took this from bad to catastrophic. Check out the animated GIF of radar here: http://i.minus.com/iluhrlDRbUSAQ.gif (I can't attach because my work blocks this website).

Greensburg, Joplin, Henryville/Pekin tornadoes (among many others) featured at least one cell merger prior to dropping tornadoes that quickly went violent like we saw in Moore. I posted this last night on Twitter and David Kenney at MSU mentioned that disrupting the meso can cause it to consolidate/focus helicity at the surface. This make a lot of sense to me and would explain why things got violent quickly.

Edit: I'd recommend looking at Bluestein's paper of the evolution of the Greensburg cell. http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/pdf/10.1175/2009WAF2222206.1

SPC/NWS did an outstanding job as always. It's now up to the local OEM's and local gov't's to re-evaluate individual tornado action plans. It was virtually impossible to survive this one above ground and it's clear that more underground shelters need to become available and put into place in this region of the country.

As a volunteer firefighter, kudos to my brothers out there in the Moore area, great job and god speed.

The Monday morning quarterbacking taking place in this thread is ridiculous. As a bunch if weather nerds, I'm shocked there is so much of it. Anyone who lived in OK knew severe weather was possible, for days NWS Norman had graphics about it. Days! That tornado had one hell of a lead time prior to coming into Moore. What more do you people want the NWS to do? Good grief.

This. And for the record, there is a community of literally hundreds of scientists in Norman (and elsewhere!), just down the road from this, who work tirelessly researching all of these things. They want to see better lead times and predictions just as much, if not more, than anyone. It is a slow process and isn't as easy as "if we researched ____, we'd solve the problem". Things like Warn-On-Forecast are being developed and investigated but not all problems are easily solvable. 

Does anyone have a timeline of events handy?  E.g.:

Tornado watch issued:

Tornado warning issued:

Tornado strikes Moore:

etc...

I see people tossing out 30+ min of lead-time, but I'm always curious in these situations what the exact timeline was.  

Tornado watch issued:

Tornado warning issued:

Tornado strikes Moore:

etc...

I see people tossing out 30+ min of lead-time, but I'm always curious in these situations what the exact timeline was.  

16 mins from warning to impact, and then an enhanced warning 5 minutes before...based on a few items I've seen

Tornado watch issued:

Tornado warning issued:

Tornado strikes Moore:

etc...

The warning was issued for Moore at 240 CT and the tornado entered Moore shortly after 310 CT. 

16 mins from warning to impact, and then an enhanced warning 5 minutes before...based on a few items I've seen

Yes the initial touchdown was at 256 CT west of Moore in Newcastle. The Moore impact was more than 15 minutes after the initial touchdown. 

Yes the initial touchdown was at 256 CT west of Moore in Newcastle. The Moore impact was more than 15 minutes after the initial touchdown. 

So if I understand this correctly, they actually had an enhanced warning five minutes before the tornado even touched down?

I firmly believe a cell merger into the parent supercell near Newcastle was the trigger that took this from bad to catastrophic. Check out the animated GIF of radar here: http://i.minus.com/iluhrlDRbUSAQ.gif (I can't attach because my work blocks this website).

Greensburg, Joplin, Henryville/Pekin tornadoes (among many others) featured at least one cell merger prior to dropping tornadoes that quickly went violent like we saw in Moore. I posted this last night on Twitter and David Kenney at MSU mentioned that disrupting the meso can cause it to consolidate/focus helicity at the surface. This make a lot of sense to me and would explain why things got violent quickly.

Edit: I'd recommend looking at Bluestein's paper of the evolution of the Greensburg cell. http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/pdf/10.1175/2009WAF2222206.1

very interesting.  It also appears the next attempted cell merger disrupted the tornado near the end there.

Folks expecting 100% certainty on timing, path, strength and ensuring 100% risk aversion are being unrealistic and/or naive.  

SPC, NWS, spotters, chasers, local authorities, regular citizens all did an amazing job at mitigating hundreds or thousands of additional casualties.

The only way to eliminate risk entirely from an EF-5 is to relocate out of "tornado alley" or tornado prone areas, which is not a direct option for a lot of people

Folks expecting 100% certainty on timing, path, strength and ensuring 100% risk aversion are being unrealistic and/or naive.  

SPC, NWS, spotters, chasers, local authorities, regular citizens all did an amazing job at mitigating hundreds or thousands of additional casualties.

The only way to eliminate risk entirely from an EF-5 is to relocate out of "tornado alley" or tornado prone areas, which is not a direct option for a lot of people

Look, it does not matter what you do... a tornado with winds nearing 200mph is going to tear **** up regardless of what safety protocols are put into place.

So if I understand this correctly, they actually had an enhanced warning five minutes before the tornado even touched down?

Tornado emergency issued for Moore at 3:01. I was watching and listening as it happened and the NWS didn't use an automated voice for the warning - it was a live person broadcasting on weather radio. 

The tornado warning came out before a tornado ever touched down.

They issued a tornado emergency for Moore once it was on the ground and it was clear it would stay on the ground as a strong/violent tornado. 

Tornado emergency issued for Moore at 3:01. I was watching and listening as it happened and the NWS didn't use an automated voice for the warning - it was a live person broadcasting on weather radio. 

Ah, so five minutes after touchdown, and more than ten minutes before it reached the city.

Ah, so five minutes after touchdown, and more than ten minutes before it reached the city.

here's the earliest scan i have:

(the time eastern time, so subtract the hour)

3:06 pm local time

u6ematut.jpg

Pretty well defined hook/TDS as well as chaser reports

just before it hit downtown moore:

3:16 local time

anesyty2.jpg

pretty good warning time.

some conflicting info:

ap: Ok M.E revises death toll to at least* 24.

they're dropping from 91-24? very confusing wording..

After initially reporting Monday night that at least 51 people had died after the tornado tore through Moore, Okla., Amy Elliot, the chief administrative officer at the Oklahoma Medical Examiner's Office sad on Tuesday that only 24 bodies had been recovered. She cited "chaos" as the reason she had previously reported the higher figure.

Reuters reports:

"We have got good news. The number right now is 24," said Amy Elliott, chief administrative officer at the Oklahoma City Medical Examiner's Office. The prior figure of 51 dead may have included some double-reported casualties, Elliott said.

"There was a lot of chaos," Elliott said.

To go along with that, my understanding is there are 40 more bodies that were found that the ME has not yet looked at.

Someone better give some type of updated statement to stop the different reports:

8ymuze9y.jpg

I understand its chaotic, but these different reports don't help.

The ME just released the updated number 30 minutes ago. The original 51 that we heard last night was wrong, it was only 24, which they corrected this morning. The reason it jumped to 91 was because 40 more bodies were found, but had not been transported to the MEs office.

I am sure the media will update accordingly soon.

Here is where I found the change of number:

http://live.reuters.com/Event/Oklahoma_Tornado/77306327

Archived