• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Memorial Day Weekend Coastal/Snow

Damage In Tolland

I missed it by 10 minutes here...I woke up at 0230 and nothing was happening but I looked at the radar and saw that those heavier echos had just passed.  I thought they would have produced some flakes.

I was outside when those echos came through, but the precip seemed to weaken as it moved southeast, and all I saw was some light rain.

I think if we got some heavier banding some flakes definitely would've mixed down...

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We had touched on this earlier in the thread, but good call on BTV with no advisories or warnings for the snowfall.  The impact was still fairly minimal on the whole.

GIVEN THE WET NATURE OF THE SNOW...ISOLATED
POWER OUTAGES WL STILL BE POSSIBLE IN THE HIGHEST MTN TOWNS ACRS
NORTHERN DACKS AND PORTIONS OF THE GREEN MTNS IN VT. NO ADVISORY
OR WARNINGS WL BE ISSUED DUE TO SMALL AREA OF IMPACT MAINLY ABOVE
2000 FT.

In the end, although we didn't really agree with the Thursday afternoon discussion at the time, it all seemed to work out pretty well for BTV's forecasters so props to them.  Gotta give credit where due.  They usually do a fantastic job and this was no different.

See this is what we were missing yesterday when the core of the cold was overhead... true NW flow upslope.  With the surface low and trough lifting northward, we now have more pure NW winds at H85 and in the low levels.

You can see how the radar echos are now moving more NW to SE where as yesterday they were going from north to south down the valley. 

This is actually pretty standard in winter storms, where in the upslope region the storm lingers for an additional day than everywhere else because of the upslope.  A few days ago we were thinking this would occur with the mid level deformation and frontogenesis... but we jumped the gun by about 24 hours.  The flow is just now NW at 21z and I should've seen this coming because in most of our winter storms, the upslope happens like 12-18 hours after the better synoptic precipitation.

Snow level is about 3,500ft though at this point with accums probably only near the summits now.

Awful day though up north...temps in the low/mid 40s with wind-driven upslope rain.

May26_5pm_upslope.gif

There are a lot of 4K+ summits in the eastern Dacs, Any pics from those areas?

EDIT: Okay found vids from the dacks. Warning shirtless dudes

EDIT2: Media blitz, Here's algonquin peak both vids show about 10" and I assume were above 3K

Nice videos.  I know where those were taken.  Nowhere near the summits, but they were wise to turn around yesterday.

The water fall is at about 3500 feet and that trail is on the way to both Wright and Algonquin.  Summit of Algonquin is a little over 5100 feet.  Wright is about 500 feet lower, but both summits are above timberline.

Nice videos.  I know where those were taken.  Nowhere near the summits, but they were wise to turn around yesterday.

The water fall is at about 3500 feet and that trail is on the way to both Wright and Algonquin.  Summit of Algonquin is a little over 5100 feet.  Wright is about 500 feet lower, but both summits are above timberline.

Okay thanks. Took a bit of youtubing to find. Looked like a good spot to chase. I probably would have turned around about where they did, without crampons, climbing steep slopes in snow can easily go wrong.  The way down is worse.

Nice vid of Algonquin. A lot more probably fell after that was made yesterday. Algonquin reaches around 5100'...higher than Whiteface where 34 inches fell. The video was made below the 4k level as the top 1000 feet or so is treeless.

I did the mountain with about a foot of snow on it back in the late 90's. :)

Advisories could have went out for a lot of NE VT though.

Ehhh, we may have to agree to disagree on that one.  Maybe if it happened in more populated areas but they wouldn't have come close to verifying a 4" advisory criteria... but lets say 2" at this time of year is worthy of an advisory, they still only got 3 reports of that much snow and all were at 1,700ft or higher.

I searched the local news outlets and didn't see anything on power outages from the snow, and even in NE VT, most towns at 1,500ft and lower had 1">.

Maybe just issue one for the novelty of the event, but the impact was pretty much non-existent in VT.  It sounds like maybe New Hampshire had more issues with more snow accumulation.

I think the Special Weather Statement was a good way to cover this event, just because of how late-season it was. 

VERMONT     WALDEN 4N COOP                        6.0    JOES POND / CABOT 3.9ENE              3.8    GROTON 4.4SW (1700FT)                 2.8    BARTON 3.0ENE (1500FT)                1.6    GREENSBORO 2.3NNE (1630FT)            1.2    SHEFFIELD 2.8NNW (1340FT)             0.8    MORGAN 6.7SE (1160FT)                 0.8    SUTTON COOP                           0.7    AVERILL COOP                          0.5    DANVILLE 2.0E                         0.2    WORCESTER COOP                        0.1

Yeah I was on the treeless summit area of Algonquin in the snow and when squalls would come..it got very disorienting. You have to follow the cairns at that point...

Okay thanks. Took a bit of youtubing to find. Looked like a good spot to chase. I probably would have turned around about where they did, without crampons, climbing steep slopes in snow can easily go wrong.  The way down is worse.

Mount Mansfield Co-Op stats for the storm...

May 25th (ending 4:30pm)

High...34

Low...27

Precip: 1.60"

Snow: 7.5"

May 26th (ending 4:30pm)

High...31F

Low...26F

Precip: 1.69

Snow:  5.7"

*Snow measured in 8-inch diameter elevated precipitation can.  Winds gusting over 60mph may have led to under-catch in the precipitation can.  I say this because that is some seriously dense snow with near snow:water ratios near sleet levels (just above 3:1 on May 26th despite temps mostly in the upper 20s).  Co-Op is notorious for under-catching new snow though, so those ratios may not be as low as that in reality.  Even still, this would appear to be the heaviest 2-day late-season snowfall on record (back to almost 1950) at the Co-Op.  However, May 26 (today's reading) did not break the daily record which was 6.0" back in 1967.  This storm may have broken the daily record if it was measured this morning before temperatures warmed up this afternoon and snow melted/settled, but the Co-Op only measures once a day in the late afternoon, so no dice.  That 1967 storm had a total of 6.3" over two days, so that was broken.

48-hour Storm Totals

Precip: 3.29"

Snow:  13.2"

Given the liquid amount, its not hard to imagine more snow at the summit, and one can see how Whiteface could have gotten 30+ inches in mountain QPF was 3-4".

May26_BTV_webcam.jpg

Ehhh, we may have to agree to disagree on that one. Maybe if it happened in more populated areas but they wouldn't have come close to verifying a 4" advisory criteria... but lets say 2" at this time of year is worthy of an advisory, they still only got 3 reports of that much snow and all were at 1,700ft or higher.

I searched the local news outlets and didn't see anything on power outages from the snow, and even in NE VT, most towns at 1,500ft and lower had 1">.

Maybe just issue one for the novelty of the event, but the impact was pretty much non-existent in VT. It sounds like maybe New Hampshire had more issues with more snow accumulation.

snowfall.png

I think the Special Weather Statement was a good way to cover this event, just because of how late-season it was.

VERMONT 

WALDEN 4N COOP                        6.0
    JOES POND / CABOT 3.9ENE              3.8
    GROTON 4.4SW (1700FT)                 2.8
    BARTON 3.0ENE (1500FT)                1.6
    GREENSBORO 2.3NNE (1630FT)            1.2
    SHEFFIELD 2.8NNW (1340FT)             0.8
    MORGAN 6.7SE (1160FT)                 0.8
    SUTTON COOP                           0.7
    AVERILL COOP                          0.5
    DANVILLE 2.0E                         0.2
    WORCESTER COOP                        0.1

Well I saw reports of 4" at 1600'. Maybe nobody lives above 1500'.

Well I saw reports of 4" at 1600'. Maybe nobody lives above 1500'.

It really doesn't matter at all at this point, haha so I shouldn't be arguing...the population above 1500ft though is quite sparse in an already extremely rural part of Vermont. That's the part of VT people picture in their minds when they think of "rural" backwoods.

Archived