• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2013 New England Severe General Discussion

Quincy

Early morning RAP looks bullish wrt the ingredients at least. 6z NAM simulated radar shows a squall line moving into western CT by 4pm, and it looks decent until it begins to collapse with loss of daytime heating and interaction with a more stable air-mass in the CT River valley by 6pm.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think your yawning might be do to Bryce waking you--that's pretty earlly post even for you!

Would be nice to get a storm, but I'm ready to merely enjoy a cool, showery kind of day.

I think your area runs the best risk of getting good storms. Other than that, I'm not sure it's much of anything for most other than typical tstms.

Today is certainly not a great setup by any means, however, helicity values are pretty high and LCL's are extremely low.  Vertical shear should also continue increasing as the afternoon goes on.  Lack of instability is certainly an issue and satellite doesn't really show any substantial breaks in the clouds until you get towards DCA.  Anyways, mlvl lapse rates have slightly increased and we do have 500-1000 J/KG of SBCape just to our west.  If we can really get 1000 J/KG into at least western regions you certainly will have to watch any cores that develop.  Extremely marginal but certainly interesting.   

It's possible we can get some breaks of sun just out ahead of the line but we'll see.  

We'll certainly need to see some instability though

Yeah, that would help.  ;)   It looks like the SPC slight risk aligns with where the best instability is present, basically cutting off near Jersey/NY.

Yeah, that would help.   ;)   It looks like the SPC slight risk aligns with where the best instability is present, basically cutting off near Jersey/NY.

Yeah they have stronger instability down that way.  

We did have 500-1000 J up to the NY?CTborder, however, showers have been developing and we've seen mlvl lapse rates weaken so instability has decreased.  

Just have to watch and see if anything gets going where the better instability is.  If they can get action then it could spill into perhaps SW CT

With regard to instability in CT, it seems all the models have now backed off their earlier optimism. GFS is the only model still showing a small area of CAPE = 1000 that barely extends into a part of SNE.  Satellite trends are not encouraging either, any sunlight will likely be minimal in area and brief in duration. In short, as others have already said, it's looking very meh. Cold still be a surprise or two, but if so it will be because of unpredictable small-scale interactions, again as others have already said. Worth keeping an eye on, I suppose, if you have nothing else to do today.

Wiz, threat looks real down here today. Thoughts?

Pretty solid presence of instability down your way along with some pretty strong shear.  Should have multiple lines of t'storms, all with the potential to produce damaging winds.  While helicity isn't really high, there is enough vertical shear present along to where large hail (1'') could be possible in the really strong cores and can't even rule out some rotation...especially with the cells capable of large hail.  

Archived