• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2013 New England Severe General Discussion

Quincy

May is here and the severe weather season is starting to get underway.

It's been off of a relatively slow start nation-wide, but as Wiz mentioned, there could be some convective activity today. Radar has been lighting up over and around Long Island.

Perhaps the first legitimate shot, albeit a relatively marginal one, could come into the Northeast by Saturday. Pump up the warm sector and dew-points into at least the lower 60's with some instability aloft and we could see some isolated severe weather on Saturday. Wind shear may not be as high as one would like to see, but CAPE and LI values could support isolated severe storms. I'd imagine the highest probability for such activity would be northwest of I-84 and more-so as one moves westward into New York state and Pennsylvania.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saturday still looks like it could get interesting, especially towards western Mass. and western Conn. Haven't looked at anything new since last night, except for the 6z NAM simulated radar, which shows a few cells firing by mid/late afternoon. Let's hope we can get a few hours of sunshine to break through the clouds and destabilize the atmosphere.

SPC is not impressed.

Looks wild tomorrow FTW

SATURDAY...
EXPECT SHOWERS AND SCT THUNDERSTORMS TO MOVE ACROSS SNE AS THE
LOW LEVEL JET SHIFTS EAST. HAVE LIKELY POPS ALL ZONES BUT FOCUS
FOR SHOWERS/TSTMS FOR SE NEW ENG WILL LIKELY BE LATE SAT/SAT
EVENING. INTERESTING SITUATION FOR SAT AFTERNOON AHEAD OF THE
COLD FRONT AS DECENT MID LEVEL JET LEADS TO 0-6KM SHEAR VALUES
GREATER THAN 40 KT DEVELOPING IN THE INTERIOR COINCIDENT WITH
CAPES OF 500-1000 J/KG. INSTABILITY IS THE WILDCARD AS CLOUD
COVER MAY LIMIT INSTABILITY AND MID LEVEL LAPSE RATES ARE
MARGINAL WHICH WOULD LIMIT SEVERE WEATHER POTENTIAL.
HOWEVER...MODEL CROSS SECTIONS INDICATE SOME THINNING OF THE
MOISTURE WHICH COULD LEAD TO SOME BREAKS OF SUNSHINE THUS
INCREASING INSTABILITY. HEAVY DOWNPOURS IS THE MAIN THREAT...BUT
CANT RULE OUT POTENTIAL FOR SEVERE WEATHER IN THE INTERIOR IF
MORE INSTABILITY IS REALIZED. THIS BEARS WATCHING. EXPECTED TEMPS
WILL REACH THE LOW/MID 70S AWAY FROM THE COAST

Looks wild tomorrow FTW

SATURDAY...

EXPECT SHOWERS AND SCT THUNDERSTORMS TO MOVE ACROSS SNE AS THE

LOW LEVEL JET SHIFTS EAST. HAVE LIKELY POPS ALL ZONES BUT FOCUS

FOR SHOWERS/TSTMS FOR SE NEW ENG WILL LIKELY BE LATE SAT/SAT

EVENING. INTERESTING SITUATION FOR SAT AFTERNOON AHEAD OF THE

COLD FRONT AS DECENT MID LEVEL JET LEADS TO 0-6KM SHEAR VALUES

GREATER THAN 40 KT DEVELOPING IN THE INTERIOR COINCIDENT WITH

CAPES OF 500-1000 J/KG. INSTABILITY IS THE WILDCARD AS CLOUD

COVER MAY LIMIT INSTABILITY AND MID LEVEL LAPSE RATES ARE

MARGINAL WHICH WOULD LIMIT SEVERE WEATHER POTENTIAL.

HOWEVER...MODEL CROSS SECTIONS INDICATE SOME THINNING OF THE

MOISTURE WHICH COULD LEAD TO SOME BREAKS OF SUNSHINE THUS

INCREASING INSTABILITY. HEAVY DOWNPOURS IS THE MAIN THREAT...BUT

CANT RULE OUT POTENTIAL FOR SEVERE WEATHER IN THE INTERIOR IF

MORE INSTABILITY IS REALIZED. THIS BEARS WATCHING. EXPECTED TEMPS

WILL REACH THE LOW/MID 70S AWAY FROM THE COAST

No.

Anybody have any information about the tornado in Stoughton, MA. yesterday? I've heard it described as a cold air funnel that touched down, but the pictures and video I've seen sure look like there was a mesocyclone involved. I could see on radar that there was enough shear to generate some localized areas of strong vorticity embedded in yesterday's convection, I wonder if this tornado wasn't a direct result of that. 

Edit: OK, I see this was already discussed a bit in the banter thread, which of course I didn't read (hey, it's got "boring" right in its title, what can I say). Would still like more info on this event, however.  

I'll be doing an analysis/recap of the Stoughton tornado later on (this weekend due to my schedule), but here are some approximate severe weather values at 4 p.m. in the vicinity, a little bit before the tornado spun up:

STP: 0.312 (Significant Tornado Parameter)
SPC: 1.0 (Supercell Composite)
MLCAPE: 500 J/kg

Shear: 27kt (Effective Bulk)
SRH: 60 m2/s2 (Helicity)
MLLCL: 700m (LCL height)

Two things that jump out...

1. Shear was relatively low compared to historic events for eastern Mass.

2. Favorable LCL height, as it was relatively low.

What's quite intriguing is both the NAM/GFS develop a fairly strong S/W (with the NAM being the strongest) late tomorrow afternoon which passes from SW to NE over CT.  Certainly a feature which could really enhance lift/shear/helicity.  The big question is (as always) how much instability we can develop.  Looking at soundings across the region, I think there is enough dry air within the column to where we will have some sunshine across the area.  

I'm not sure if we will see widespread convection at this point, however, I think we see see a few broken squall lines and perhaps a few discrete cells. Wet microbursts would certainly be a possibility given the look of the profile but hail would certainly be a possibility as well given low freezing levels.

If the models are correct with that s/w depiction and that ends up being 3-5 hours faster then I think the situation could be a tad more interesting, especially with potential for rotating storms.  

Sometimes it just takes a little instability and shear when you have low LCLs like that. There was definitely a hint of a weak inflow notch in some of those pics.

While the setup was not a text book set-up, when you really look at how things were set up, even locally...the conditions did favor the potential for that kind of activity.  

This is why I'm really becoming to favor heavily localized conditions and small scale factors over large scale patterns and the large scale synoptic setup.  Sure the large scale is much more important when it comes to wide spread severe but localized severe is just as important, especially around here.  

While the setup was not a text book set-up, when you really look at how things were set up, even locally...the conditions did favor the potential for that kind of activity.  

This is why I'm really becoming to favor heavily localized conditions and small scale factors over large scale patterns and the large scale synoptic setup.  Sure the large scale is much more important when it comes to wide spread severe but localized severe is just as important, especially around here.  

There isn't any real terrain there..just a general 200' elevation. There may have been a little seabreeze interaction as well..or some sort of weak diffuse boundary. Something to generate helicity. If there is one thing storms love, it's boundary helicity where they can gobble that up like pac man.

Anyways, cool little storm. I know exactly where that area is as I grew up near there in Brockton.Luckily a little spinner and that's it.

There isn't any real terrain there..just a general 200' elevation. There may have been a little seabreeze interaction as well..or some sort of weak diffuse boundary. Something to generate helicity. If there is one thing storms love, it's boundary helicity where they can gobble that up like pac man.

Anyways, cool little storm. I know exactly where that area is as I grew up near there in Brockton.Luckily a little spinner and that's it.

Could it have been sea-breeze though?  I would think, especially this time of year it would have actually lead to a more stable environment.

I left for Boston about 1:00-ish so I didn't really get to look at any data but when I left CT it was very cloudy and when I got near Worcester and points NW there was much more sun...perhaps it was a differential heating boundary that escalated things?  Differential heating boundaries can really provide a great focal point for svr.  

Here's a look at the SFC-3km helicity...just enough in the right place:

post-533-0-38252700-1368233991_thumb.gif

Thanks for posting that!

150 0-3 is all you need for a weak spin-up...especially if you can get a decent core which can tap into that and there is little to disrupt the updraft

The mean helicity value for historical tornadoes (grid centered over central/eastern Mass.) is 155 and there have been multiple cases with values between 110 and 155. Having the LCL's so low certainly helped. Well below the mean for past events.

envbw.gif

The 3z RAP is showing some really nice parameters for central CT tomorrow afternoon: CAPE of 1500, 1k SRH >200, that's more than sufficient for rotating storms and yes, tornadoes. Not sure that I buy those numbers, but it certainly indicates that the day holds potential. Those kind of numbers being progged this close to the event definitely gets my attention.

Archived