• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2013 New England Severe General Discussion

Quincy

Thursday is heavily dependent on daytime heating (models not consistent) and timing of the cold front. Right now it appears the timing may be too late for appreciable severe, but we'll see.

Wednesday is interesting, but the best axis lies west of New England.

It looks like we may get jipped, but there's still plenty of time for things to change.

Tomorrow and Wednesday actually look quite interesting on the NAM.  Tomorrow looks interesting across western MA and perhaps extreme northwestern CT while Wednesday looks interesting across the CT River Valley.  Lapse rates look like they will be relatively weak tomorrow, however, looks like a pocket of steeper mlvl lapse rates will overspread the region on Wednesday.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tomorrow and Wednesday actually look quite interesting on the NAM. Tomorrow looks interesting across western MA and perhaps extreme northwestern CT while Wednesday looks interesting across the CT River Valley. Lapse rates look like they will be relatively weak tomorrow, however, looks like a pocket of steeper mlvl lapse rates will overspread the region on Wednesday.

Wed is the day to watch, not Thursday

Tomorrow and Wednesday actually look quite interesting on the NAM.  Tomorrow looks interesting across western MA and perhaps extreme northwestern CT while Wednesday looks interesting across the CT River Valley.  Lapse rates look like they will be relatively weak tomorrow, however, looks like a pocket of steeper mlvl lapse rates will overspread the region on Wednesday.

NAM simulated radar lights up on both Tuesday and Wednesday.

Analog mean suggests Wednesday could be interesting, but I still think the best shot is west of SNE.

post-533-0-23009900-1369067094_thumb.png

http://www.eas.slu.edu/CIPS/ANALOG/WARM/F072/EC_072/PPF24allprobgfs212F072.png

Wiz, the shear doesn't look particularly favorable despite some decent instability on Wednesday. Highest values across NYS and northern New England. The pattern may evolve more, we should watch the positioning of the frontal boundary.

Shear isn't great but it's adequate and inverted-v type profiles suggest we would probably see some strong winds as the main threat.  There isn't a great deal of lift around but there may be some boundaries around which could spark stuff off.  I don't expect widespread storms but certainly scattered storms are possible.  

Wiz, the shear doesn't look particularly favorable despite some decent instability on Wednesday. Highest values across NYS and northern New England. The pattern may evolve more, we should watch the positioning of the frontal boundary.

Yeah winds are pretty meh through the troposphere. Unless the jet shifts south (which probably means we back door) or instability way overperforms with a remnant EML plume not much to get excited about besides some pulsers.

Since this week looks pretty tame.. on the bright side, the past few runs of the gfs, including the 12z gfs,  have a fairly well-est. early summer pattern in the extended.  I like the angle of angle of attack as the ridging breaks down, with the bd/side door look.  hope it holds.

Thats what it's all about right there

It was exciting until fear overode the weather weenie enthusiasm. I will say it was unlike any T-storm I had ever been through. Part of the intrigue was watching the storm on radar as it moved almost due S out of VT. Our severe almost always comes from the W here.

It was exciting until fear overode the weather weenie enthusiasm. I will say it was unlike any T-storm I had ever been through. Part of the intrigue was watching the storm on radar as it moved almost due S out of VT. Our severe almost always comes from the W here.

Yeah the north / south movers are the most damaging. We had that one in Vernon in June of 92 with golf and tennis ball sized hail. It formed up in Central Mass along a backdoor and just ripped thru Central CT all the way to the coast.

Yeah the north / south movers are the most damaging. We had that one in Vernon in June of 92 with golf and tennis ball sized hail. It formed up in Central Mass along a backdoor and just ripped thru Central CT all the way to the coast.

Only 3 years off

Yeah the north / south movers are the most damaging. We had that one in Vernon in June of '95 with golf and tennis ball sized hail. It formed up in Central Mass along a backdoor and just ripped thru Central CT all the way to the coast.

How large did the hail get in Tolland from that cell? 

My dad was working on the Vernon/Manchester line and was right in the middle of it.  Hail was large enough to dent his new car lol. 

Archived