joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2013 New England Severe General Discussion

Quincy

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cloud cover and lapse rates all screamed meh.

The junk ahead of the "squall line" also didn't help. NJ had a better environment, that cell that went into Manhattan pulsed up nicely and dropped a ton of rain in a very short period of time, also a fair amount of CGs. Some reports of small hail and wind damage, but I didn't encounter that.

Models really overdid CAPE for the lower Hudson Valley.

The junk ahead of the "squall line" also didn't help. NJ had a better environment, that cell that was ent into Manhattan pulsed up nicely and dropped a ton of rain in a very short period of time, also a fair amount of CGs. Some reports of small hail and wind damage, but I didn't encounter that.

Models really overdid CAPE for the lower Hudson Valley.

pretty intense in RI and New Bedford too

It's too bad that we can't get more instability into the mix Wednesday evening. Very strong wind shear and good helicity values, but close to no instability. Not to mention temps on the cool side and dew-points maybe in the lower 50's.

SCP values get really high into the mid-Atlantic states, where there's a better shot at some potential activity:
post-533-0-82152100-1368470726_thumb.gif

There's an outside shot at something middle of next week, but we'd need to get good heating. There could be a lot of cloud debris. ALso there is model disagreement on where the sfc front sort of hangs up. GFS tries to warm sector us even on Thursday while the Euro is more of a stratiform rain deal with a sfc wave going south of us.

There's an outside shot at something middle of next week, but we'd need to get good heating. There could be a lot of cloud debris. ALso there is model disagreement on where the sfc front sort of hangs up. GFS tries to warm sector us even on Thursday while the Euro is more of a stratiform rain deal with a sfc wave going south of us.

Tuesday and Wednesday both have some opportunities but it will depend on front position, cloud debris, and heating. First shot of the season though so it's worth watching.

Just look this beast

@EverythingWX: Picture of the wedge tornado from yesterday west of Shawnee. By far the most violent tornado I have ever seen. https://t.co/ZLlxP3zsUJ

Every year I realize how sucky our season is, when I see those pics. I gotta go out there and see the real deal. CG doesn't cut it for me, I want to see everything from the structure to the stove pipe. 

Every year I realize how sucky our season is, when I see those pics. I gotta go out there and see the real deal. CG doesn't cut it for me, I want to see everything from the structure to the stove pipe.

Yeah one of these yrs I am gonna go chase. Probably can't do it till kids are older and we are out of family vacation mode but one day I will do it

Thursday is heavily dependent on daytime heating (models not consistent) and timing of the cold front. Right now it appears the timing may be too late for appreciable severe, but we'll see.

Wednesday is interesting, but the best axis lies west of New England.

It looks like we may get jipped, but there's still plenty of time for things to change.

Archived