joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
May 2013 General Discussion/Obs

wisconsinwx

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That would make it sting a little more. There's not a whole lot of difference between 40 and rain and 37 with flakes so if forced to pick between those 2 bad choices, I'd take the latter.

Well, it won't be pretty either way...if anything close to that verifies. I guess we'll see.

Don't look at the 12z GFS for the beginning of the month. I hope it's not right...been taking the cool shots in stride up to this point but it's really going to get irritating.

Yeah, no thanks to that run. 

Going to be melting a lot of snow in the upper Midwest in the next 5 days, so these cool shots will be more moderated.

It's really hard to keep temperatures under 50 during the day in May, so I'm thinking the GFS is lol worthy for the late next week snow system.

40's for a high is actually quite common here even until late may.  Every May going back to 2002 has had 40's for a high except for one - 2009

It's really hard to keep temperatures under 50 during the day in May, so I'm thinking the GFS is lol worthy for the late next week snow system.

It's also really hard to see snow in LAF on April 24. ;) But, sub 50º high temps in May in Chicago...not that rare.

You can see the top 3 lowest maximum temps for each day in May for Chicago in the link below: 

http://threadex.rcc-acis.org/threadex/process_records

The forecast below is centered on WI, but similar data can be found for the entire Midwest, here.

Utilizing intraseasonal oscillations and a cycling weather pattern called Lezak's Recurring Cycle I attempt to project weather conditions weeks and months into the future. Currently the data used to generate the forecast are based on a full blend of cycles. I am in progress of creating a three member ensemble that will enhance future forecasts. The outlook for May, based on the current interpretation of the cycle, is listed below. http://tiny.cc/isowiwx

•Multiple precipitation events lead to above average totals.

•Temperature roller coaster ending slightly below average.

•Three notable storms to affect the region;

Around the 13th.

Around the 20th.

Around the 31st.

•Severe weather is probable with the notable storm systems.

More information on LRC and ISO.

05-wiwx-fpn-all.png

(Originally posted on the Wisconsin Weather Facebook page.)

I remember one Sat. in May sometime between 1986-1995 when I took the train to Chicago and we had snow flurries in the loop that day.  People had come up from Florida by train and had no winter weather clothes with them.  Guess they added to the retail sales when they got off the train.  Wish I could be more specific as to the date.  Winter didn't really start this season till later and now it seems it won't end.  Going to enjoy the 70's in the near term before the cut off low dampens my hopes once again for awhile.

I remember one Sat. in May sometime between 1986-1995 when I took the train to Chicago and we had snow flurries in the loop that day.  People had come up from Florida by train and had no winter weather clothes with them.  Guess they added to the retail sales when they got off the train.  Wish I could be more specific as to the date.  Winter didn't really start this season till later and now it seems it won't end.  Going to enjoy the 70's in the near term before the cut off low dampens my hopes once again for awhile.

May 6, 1989.

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KORD/1989/5/6/DailyHistory.html

That's darn impressive for May 6th in Chicago and MKE that shared in on that may snow also..  Chicago even had snow reported one hr over night on the 7th.  Great stuff, guys.  I would have never even known or remembered (ORH_wxman I'm not) that it snowed in May 1989 and I was like 14 back then  :oldman: 

Archived