• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
May 2013 General Discussion/Obs

wisconsinwx

That's darn impressive for May 6th in Chicago and MKE that shared in on that may snow also..  Chicago even had snow reported one hr over night on the 7th.  Great stuff, guys.  I would have never even known or remembered (ORH_wxman I'm not) that it snowed in May 1989 and I was like 14 back then  :oldman:

I remember it quite well. I was pitching in a Pony League baseball game that day. Though not sure how well I threw that day. :D

That may have been the weekend I went to the Talladega 500 and while driving down on Saturday, I passed through Louisville during the Derby with snow falling.

That's impressive...snow at the Derby. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember it quite well. I was pitching in a Pony League baseball game that day. Though not sure how well I threw that day. :D

Now that's a true snow weenie.. only remember the snow and not how you pitched..  Might be a good thing you don't remember how you pitched though lol, Brrrr.

I don't remember any snow falling during my little league days.. lots of raw days and rain outs though early in the seasons.  I hated that.

That's impressive...snow at the Derby. 

It wasn't sticking but it was falling.

Do you maybe mean Daytona 500 in February?    Talladega is run a lot later in the yr if I'm not mistaken.

Nope, we are talking about an early May snow.   

Now that's a true snow weenie.. only remember the snow and not how you pitched..  Might be a good thing you don't remember how you pitched though lol, Brrrr.

I don't remember any snow falling during my little league days.. lots of raw days and rain outs though early in the seasons.  I hated that.

lol, I was good back in the Little League, Pony League, and early High School days. Then I stopped growing. :lol:

But yeah, early season in baseball was always a roll of the dice. I remember a few HS games postponed/cancelled due to snow and/or cold.

It wasn't sticking but it was falling.

Nope, we are talking about an early May snow.   

Doh - You're right they run the race there twice a yr..  I always seem to miss the first weekend in May one  because it's opening weekend of fishing season here or something else when its run in April..   I love that track to especially the late laps when they really get going.. Just waiting for the Big one Like at Daytona..  RIP -  Dale Earnhardt :(

Doh - You're right they run the race there twice a yr..  I always seem to miss the first weekend in May one  because it's opening weekend of fishing season here or something else when its run in April..   I love that track to especially the late laps when they really get going.. Just waiting for the Big one Like at Daytona..  RIP -  Dale Earnhardt :(

I used to enjoy going to races but no longer follow NASCAR.  Restrictor Plates and sissy boys like Jeff Gordon have turned me off. 

Lol at the GFS Ensembles: let me just give the short abridged version.  Wednesday night is looking very interesting on some of the ensembles, but I am not going to bite on it.  Will probably just be a very cold rain, unless there's some better low development and a tighter baroclinic zone.

Snow mixed in or not, this area doesn't need any more precipitation.  The amount of cold rain being painted by the GFS is just ugly.  Maybe it won't be enough to cause additional flooding as bad as what we've already had but still, nothing is ever going to dry out.  It's still looking like swampmageddon in places.

Lol at the GFS Ensembles: let me just give the short abridged version. Wednesday night is looking very interesting on some of the ensembles, but I am not going to bite on it. Will probably just be a very cold rain, unless there's some better low development and a tighter baroclinic zone.

Op run looks kinda interesting too.

Several of the GFS runs of late have been reminiscent of some of the more significant May cold shots. Euro seemingly a little less extreme at this point but probably a nasty period either way.

Wouldn't be a spring without a few big cutoff that bring nothing but misery and chilly rain. W/E and lol at the snow threat. Doubt it happens but it wouldnt be the 1st time Ive seen snow in early May. 2005 or 06 it happened. Didn't stick very well considering the strong giant ball of fire above the clouds. Next 4-5 days look great though!

In the late 70's, I went mushroom hunting up in bo's area (Antrim Co.) around May 25th. The locals told me that they had an accumulating snow there the week before. I wish I could remember the exact year. Ever since then, it hasn't surprised me to hear of snow in MI, especially the upper lower.

In 132 years of record, Detroit has seen May snow 27 years, but of these only 8 had measurable and only 3 had more than an inch (1.5" may 13, 1912, 5.0" May 21-22, 1883, 6.0" May 9, 1923). Since the infamous 1923 snowstorm the only dates Detroit saw measurable May snow were 0.1" on May 3, 1954 and 0.1" on May 3, 2005. The cutoff in snow from April to May is insane, and any accumulating May snow, sloppy as it may be, would be extraordinary.

In 132 years of record, Detroit has seen May snow 27 years, but of these only 8 had measurable and only 3 had more than an inch (1.5" may 13, 1912, 5.0" May 21-22, 1883, 6.0" May 9, 1923). Since the infamous 1923 snowstorm the only dates Detroit saw measurable May snow were 0.1" on May 3, 1954 and 0.1" on May 3, 2005. The cutoff in snow from April to May is insane, and any accumulating May snow, sloppy as it may be, would be extraordinary.

5" at the end of may is bonkers

Even though the models show snow verbatim, I am concerned that the 850mb temps aren't cold enough on the 18z-00z runs. At worst they get to -4 to -5 where the snow is being show. It is very very very tough to get consistently near freezing temps at this time of year, for a snowstorm to happen. Now if the models were showing -8 to -10 at 850mb you'd better believe I would be saying there is a chance of something significant. Right now I'd use a cautious approach to getting excited with this one.

The one thing however that can be agreed upon with this, is that there will be a ton of moisture to work with, with the flow off the Gulf and Atlantic, someone is going to get a ton of rain with this upper level low.

The 1990 storm has always fascinated me. 3.2" of snow fell at MKE during the morning but they still managed to make it to 50 degrees that afternoon.

Is there anyway to find the archived forecast leading up to that storm? I read today that flood watches were in place as rain was expected. https://twitter.com/T_storm/status/328146603879849984

Is there anyway to find the archived forecast leading up to that storm? I read today that flood watches were in place as rain was expected. https://twitter.com/T_storm/status/328146603879849984

Unfortunately, I don't think so. It seems like there is lack of information/data from this storm. I did send an email to former fox 6 meteorologist  Bart Adrian to see if he has anything to add.

Looking at the reanalysis data, you can really see how quickly this thing strengthened. I assume forecast models at the time did a horrible job. 

reanal_1990050912.gif

reanal_1990051000.gif

reanal_1990051012.gif

There's a chance an MCS could develop Monday night on the warm front and track into lower MI.  Might surpass 11 inches of precipitation for the month of April if that happens.  After that it looks scary.  Swampmageddon round 2 for someone in the area.

A weather/climate forecast model I've developed based on ISO and LRC paints above average precipitation for GRR in May. It is amazing how much moisture was dumped on GRR this April so far. That wasn't in the precipitation projection for April.

GRR station: http://www.theplayerstour.net/osnw3/wxclimate/trends/1213-GRR.html

May pcpn outlook: http://www.theplayerstour.net/osnw3/wxclimate/trends/maps-pn-my.html

I am certainly not afraid to admit the fails that the model has endured this year. Using ISO and applying the LRC is an everyday learning experience.  This season (Oct-Sep) the projections are based on a full blend of LRC. I am working on an ensemble for next year and introducing two new members. From what I've already found with the new members, it will enhance the forecasts.

But, yes, I foresee a Swampmageddon May as well, unfortunately.

Unfortunately, I don't think so. It seems like there is lack of information/data from this storm. I did send an email to former fox 6 meteorologist  Bart Adrian to see if he has anything to add.

Looking at the reanalysis data, you can really see how quickly this thing strengthened. I assume forecast models at the time did a horrible job. 

Thanks for finding and sharing the images. The storm certainly had rapid intensification. Awesome stuff. Hopefully BA gets back to you, if he does I'd like to know the response.

Archived