• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
April 17-19 Potential Late Season Snowstorm

Hoosier

Been watching this for the past couple days. Potential for a late season snowstorm is on the table as another storm traverses the country and taps into some unseasonably cold air. There is decent multi-model agreement on the general scenario with the usual differences in track/timing/evolution etc. Right now it appears that roughly the same area as last time (i.e. upper Midwest) could be under the gun again for accumulating snow but with some chance for this one to spread snow farther south into more of the subforum.

There may also be a severe aspect which we can start a separate thread for.

Discuss.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was just thinking when someone would post a thread on this. Well the GFS has been showing it on quite a few runs. Last run has the snow swatch hitting Eastern/SE WI and NC IL really good.

In fact I'll post what it's showing now.

post-2499-0-16117500-1365788320_thumb.pn

side note, probably a great time for last minute deals for some spring skiing in the rockies

Skiers might be skiing into May, if a storm like that happens. Ice fishing into May in the U.P. like BowMe was saying.

Looks like the EURO is a tad later with the system. Would be more of a night storm on the EURO.

Perfect, I thought this had the potential of being a night storm if it was just a tad later on the GFS.  I'd be happy with a slushy inch or two and call it a winter, just want some snow in April, esp with it being such a cool/cold one.

Skiers might be skiing into May, if a storm like that happens. Ice fishing into May in the U.P. like BowMe was saying.

You know what.... Being able to Ice Fish in the month of may inside the lower 48 is completely unprecedented. That's more notable than last years "Morch" if it really happens.

You know what.... Being able to Ice Fish in the month of may inside the lower 48 is completely unprecedented. That's more notable than last years "Morch" if it really happens.

I'm not a climo guru, however even though the northern Plains and upper Great Lakes are on track to have an incredibly cold April, I don't think the anomalies and coverage of anomalies are as extreme and widespread as last March.

Ice fishing in May has happened before and is local. Most areas they do not keep ice into May, but that is not a 100% coverage.

the GFS is beyond garbage right now. Never seen a model lately that disorganized. NCEP has issues.

Local, meaning the top of North Dakota on a 1 in 100 year event time scale.

I'm not a climo guru, however even though the northern Plains and upper Great Lakes are on track to have an incredibly cold April, I don't think the anomalies and coverage of anomalies are as extreme and widespread as last March.

No, but last "Morch" was confined to a 2-3 week period. In order to have ice fishing ANYWHERE in the lower 48 in the month of May, it takes CONSECUTIVE below normal months without interruption. One big warmup... Lasting a week... The ice is terribly dangerous.

Pass, oh and the Euro will be right just like it was with the last system. I don't know why people are chasing the GFS mirage yet again...

The Euro at this range with the last system was giving mby 3-6" of snow, so it's not like the Euro's been Mr. Right.  They probably will all be wrong, and this will pass even further NW than the Euro (which still yields some snow around here).

I understand why the hobbyists want no more snow, but why does nearly everyone else want to avoid it as well?  In April and May it is a unique experience, so even though it isn't great for travel or welcomed by the general public, it's hard to believe this snow enthusiast dominated forum wants it to stay away.

I understand why the hobbyists want no more snow, but why does nearly everyone else want to avoid it as well?  In April and May it is a unique experience, so even though it isn't great for travel or welcomed by the general public, it's hard to believe this snow enthusiast dominated forum wants it to stay away.

I think everyone is just sick of the cold weather. If we would have had a week or so of sustained warmth already, I think people would be more accepting to one last snow. I would like warmer weather like most everyone else... but why not, let's have one last snow to make this cold month worth while and hit our average snowfall for the month! 

Archived