amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
April 17-19 Potential Late Season Snowstorm

Hoosier

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back to the drawing boards for the POS NAM and GFS.    What junk.

Yeah they're pretty bad.  What I don't understand is computing prowess is increasing exponentially, yet our American models have not only not improved, I think they've even regressed.  Really don't get that.  Euro isn't perfect by any means, but it seems to be the best model overall IMO. 

Yeah they're pretty bad.  What I don't understand is computing prowess is increasing exponentially, yet our American models have not only not improved, I think they've even regressed.  Really don't get that.  Euro isn't perfect by any means, but it seems to be the best model overall IMO. 

How about we get the GFS to work half ass out to 120 hrs.. no no... we'll run that pile of crap out to 384 hrs.

NAM shouldn't even be looked at...outside 24 hours, if that. Complete whiff locally with the last storm. 

The short term complete failure by the GFS with the March 24-25 snowstorm is one I'll remember.

Euro has its relatively minor burps, from time to time, but remains the go to model of choice in the end.

Can't remember the last time I've looked at the NAM.. Probably the last big storm here in Feb..  If there is no snow threat I have no use for it as I don't care about severe.   Not having the Euro at my disposal anymore to look at you really start to see just how much a  pile of Junk the GFS is when it's your only model to look at.

With some of the Sandy supplemental going to buying a new supercomputer for NCEP even more powerful than the ECMWF has, the major upgrade to the GFS in 2014 or at the latest within the next 2 years should help bridge the gap. It's going to be improved to I think 15km resolution and the data assimilation will be as close to 4DVAR without actually being 4DVAR (forgot what the name is at the moment). So hopefully the ECMWF being a consistently better model than the GFS will be a thing of the past. As for the NAM, if I'm not mistaken it'll be getting some form of upgrade too. Let's hope it goes back to being a useful model again because agreed that it's been mostly terrible for quite some time now with only a few exceptions.

Best news in a long time! Thanks much, Ricky.

Much obliged. Straight from the director of the NWS who we met with when he was in town last weekend for Skilling's seminar. He also presented the info at the seminar. As for what the GFS is likely to struggle with now is its moisture fields, specifically dewpoints. Still seems to be showing a similar high bias with dews like last year.

With some of the Sandy supplemental going to buying a new supercomputer for NCEP even more powerful than the ECMWF has, the major upgrade to the GFS in 2014 or at the latest within the next 2 years should help bridge the gap. It's going to be improved to I think 15km resolution and the data assimilation will be as close to 4DVAR without actually being 4DVAR (forgot what the name is at the moment). So hopefully the ECMWF being a consistently better model than the GFS will be a thing of the past. As for the NAM, if I'm not mistaken it'll be getting some form of upgrade too. Let's hope it goes back to being a useful model again because agreed that it's been mostly terrible for quite some time now with only a few exceptions.

Ensemble Kalman Filter (EnKF)?

To me it doesn't seem like the GFS problem is just inferior data assimilation.  It seems to have a worse progressive trending bias than the ECMWF for the medium-long range, even inside truncation.  It also seems to maintain straight skinny troughs that in reality always end up breaking into cutoffs or multiple lows.  I don't get it.

Duluth. +SN...2"/hour...20" OTG.  :wub:

METAR KDLH 182355Z 01014G19KT 1/4SM R09/2000V2600FT +SN FG VV005 01/M02 A2957 RMK AO2 SLP031 SNINCR 2/20 P0012 60041 T00061017 10017 20006 58012

D*mn! A lot of snow for April 18th, even up there.

duluth and far nw tip of wi getting smoked.  Plows are off the road for the night in Ashland.

PM0816 PM     SNOW             OULU                    46.63N 91.53W   04/18/2013  M10.0 INCH       BAYFIELD           WI   TRAINED SPOTTER  
PM     SNOW             HAWTHORNE               46.50N 91.86W   04/18/2013  M11.0 INCH       DOUGLAS            WI   TRAINED SPOTTER   
0819 PM     SNOW             GRANTSBURG              45.78N 92.68W   04/18/2013  M9.0 INCH        BURNETT            WI   TRAINED SPOTTER   

Archived