Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Onward Into Summer 2013

• Replies 852
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SPC upgraded the previous overall "slight risk" for today to "moderate" ... but what I like that they are doing is that they now split the details where the moderate threat is and keep a slight risk for the northeast and area in tx outside of moderate risk...

As for the eastern PA risk... I would have loved to have yesterdays severe parameters set up today with the closer proximity of the front... but that wont happen... not sure with the cloud cover how much is going to clear out over the next few hours for us to greatly destablize, but PWAT levels are still ridiculously high so there is still plenty Gulf moisture to tap into...

It was weird. There was no wind at all then had a gust to about 40. Then for about a minute had sustained winds about 45 and gusted probably about 60. Not much thunder. That's a shame about your neighbor's house. Hopefully not to many things got blown over inside. Our neighbor's trampoline was obliterated. Smashed into a fence.

Yes, exactly like that here. My next door neighbor had a tree go down into the creek and take out a wire...he's been worried that tree would take out wires so he called the electric company to come look at it and eventually remove it. Well, two hours before storm hit the tree guy from the electric company told him they would get to it at some point to remove it but it would have to be a very strong wind to take it down. Talk about ironic.

LOL...maybe gusted to 15 here...must be dying.

Did you see that bizarre eye-like feature that went over you on radar? Reminded me of the Landcane that took out Kinzua railroad bridge.

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE STATE COLLEGE PA

623 PM EDT THU MAY 23 2013

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN STATE COLLEGE PA HAS ISSUED A

* SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR...

EASTERN LYCOMING COUNTY IN NORTH CENTRAL PENNSYLVANIA...

* UNTIL 700 PM EDT

* AT 620 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM. THE STORM WAS NEAR COGAN STATION...MOVING

NORTHEAST AT 35 MPH. THIS STORM IS CAPABLE OF PRODUCING QUARTER

SIZE HAIL...AND DAMAGING WINDS IN EXCESS OF 60 MPH.

* LOCATIONS INCLUDED THE WARNING...

MONTOURSVILLE...MONTGOMERY...LOYALSOCKVILLE...MUNCY...

HUGHESVILLE...BARBOURS AND LAIRDSVILLE.

OTHER LOCATIONS IN THE WARNING INCLUDE LITTLE LEAGUE WORLD SERIES

COMPLEX.

THIS WILL IMPACT I-180 BETWEEN MILE MARKERS 10 AND 29.

THIS WILL ALSO IMPACT THE FOLLOWING MAJOR ROADS...ROUTE 15...ROUTE

220...STATE ROAD 14...STATE ROAD 118.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS CREATE WINDS OF MORE THAN 57 MPH...OR HAIL ONE

INCH OR LARGER.

SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS PRODUCE DAMAGE. MOVE INSIDE A PERMANENT BUILDING

NOW TO BE SAFE FROM STRONG WIND GUSTS AND LARGE HAIL.

PLEASE REPORT HAIL...STRONG WINDS OR WIND DAMAGE TO THE NATIONAL

WEATHER SERVICE IN STATE COLLEGE THROUGH TWITTER OR FACEBOOK.

&&

47.4 with a gusty wind at 1 pm on May 24. :banned:

Too bad we had a high of like 63 at midnight at UNV. If we are going to be this miserably cold in late May we should at least get monster departures. Will be one of those days when the daily climate doesn't really tell the story.

heaviest rain we have had here so far this year...

Speaking of heavy rain, yesterday I registered an amazing 1.31" of rain in the hour from 12:50pm - 1:50pm confirmed by my Vantage Vue and my CoCoRaHS gauge. I wonder what the record rainfall is for an hour. It is good that it didn't last longer.

Speaking of heavy rain, yesterday I registered an amazing 1.31" of rain in the hour from 12:50pm - 1:50pm confirmed by my Vantage Vue and my CoCoRaHS gauge. I wonder what the record rainfall is for an hour. It is good that it didn't last longer.

12"

Two years ago we got 2.13 of rain in 55 minutes from a stationary t-storm that collapsed right over us. Heaviest rain I've ever seen. 

Too bad we had a high of like 63 at midnight at UNV. If we are going to be this miserably cold in late May we should at least get monster departures. Will be one of those days when the daily climate doesn't really tell the story.

AVP did the same...61 midnight high. Last OBS were 45.

Only 47 here in the Wyoming Valley.

12"

Two years ago we got 2.13 of rain in 55 minutes from a stationary t-storm that collapsed right over us. Heaviest rain I've ever seen. 

I googled my own question after I posted and 12" is an unbelievable rate. Even Pennsylvania has some incredible rainfall stats. I wasn't able to find a record hourly rainfall record for PA anywhere. 2.13" for 55 minutes is very impressive. Water had to be running everywhere.

Nasty morning working outside in Lock Haven.  Really hoping we can avoid any frost issues outside of the mountains.

12"

Worst street flooding we ever had at my parents house in Lebanon County came from a similar collapsing storm, 1.8" in less than 30 minutes. 

Archived