• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh/Western Pa Weather

Bringing my snow map over here for you guys, I think Pittsburgh should generally see 3 or 4 inches and have a period where it mixes and/or changes to rain/sleet. That's roughly denoted by the pink dashed line on the map. North of the line I expect mainly snow, south of it mixing or a changeover. 

post-1507-0-05717800-1387007433_thumb.pn

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bringing my snow map over here for you guys, I think Pittsburgh should generally see 3 or 4 inches and have a period where it mixes and/or changes to rain/sleet. That's roughly denoted by the pink dashed line on the map. North of the line I expect mainly snow, south of it mixing or a changeover. 

attachicon.gifSlide1.png

Curious you put yourself in the middle of the largest band of snow.

Precip has yet to begin around Allegheny County. We've had a nice little hole in the precip just sit right over top of us so far this morning and temps are going up. Bad luck in that regard since anything we would have gotten so far would be snow. I'm thinking by the time the ample precip moves into the area it's already going to be a mixed bag, especially for southern communities, Like I mentioned earlier in the week, the warm tongue almost always gets us, especially south of the city. That map above that has the pink dotted line representing the rain/snow line can almost be drawn permanently through Allegheny County with storms like this. We'll see some periods of snow before the mixing occurs but it's not going to add up to much. Maybe an inch or two if we're lucky. More to the north. Probably not even that around Bethel Park and south.

Looks like the NWS thinks the rain/snow line is going to be further north now by this afternoon, yet another bust for snow? Still nothing here as well.

Interesting AFD concerning the the storm, and possible suspect model QPF.

Also CTP's AFD mentioned a back door cold front in their area, that might be the focal point of the sudden expansion on the radar, along and north of the turnpike east of New Stanton. The precip looks like its even backbuilding west toward the metro.

Also CTP's AFD mentioned a back door cold front in their area, that might be the focal point of the sudden expansion on the radar, along and north of the turnpike east of New Stanton. The precip looks like its even backbuilding west toward the metro.

Yeah their discussion pretty much sums up how difficult this forecast was, even now.

attachicon.gifSlide1.png

Thanks for stopping by MAG, your map is similar to the NWS Pittsburgh has for us.

Starting to wonder if this storm busts low in the southern portion of the state? Lots of virga thus far, and warm air racing towards us. Just some light flurries thus far.

Yeah, the radar looked very unimpressive this morning when I checked around 2:30am, and still does not appear to have a very organized shield in our area. I feel we may see a quick burst of snow that changes over quickly to a mix later this afernoon which would put snowfall predictions in serious jeapardy. My temp, at the surface at least, is already flirting with freezing.

Are you insinuating he let his desire for snow somehow bias the snow fall map he posted here? If so, you better have some examples from models or other scientific reasoning to back that statement up. We want discussion and oppsing views are fine, but blindly accusing someone of bias without reason is not someting any of us have any time for. Our area has a hard enough time getting some professional anlysis and this sort of comment will just prevent professionals from even bothering to post ideas in our thread.

And, just as I finish posting about very little reaching the ground, moderate snow just starting coming down.  :snowing:  Looks like the atmoshere has been moistened sufficiently now for precipitiaton to reach the surface. Already a light dusting on the ground, hopefully we can sustain this snowfall rate for awhile. Now we watch the dreaded R/S line.

And, just as I finish posting about very little reaching the ground, moderate snow just starting coming down.  :snowing:  Looks like the atmoshere has been moistened sufficiently now for precipitiaton to reach the surface. Already a light dusting on the ground, hopefully we can sustain this snowfall rate for awhile. Now we watch the dreaded R/S line.

I'm currently in Washington, PA. Rain/sleet mix. Mostly rain. I'll be driving back up to Bridgeville in a little bit. We'll see if that r/s line follows me.

Sorry MAG - your thoughts and maps are welcome and appreciated here.

lwg8tr0514 - You also thought NWS was a joke because they said Wash, PA would have rain a couple storms ago. Didn't see you once the driving rain started. Don't scare off our red taggers, please.

Anyway...

Snowing moderately with about .5" new. Had a lot of virga, but the radar is impressive. Two headwinds for us. First that rain/snow line. Morgantown is already raining - may not have seen one flake. I also wonder how much of that radar rapidly vanishes as the low reorganizes to the east. That's the problem with open wave systems and why they are not typically in our wheelhouse. What looks like hours and hours of precip to come can suddenly erode.

Moderate snow here. Rain/snow line racing northward.

Per Intellicast, it looks like it's having a tough time getting above M/D line. So maybe it will be more of a crawl as the primary low dies. Although I do know it's not that reliable for P-type.

The sleet report already out of Washington was a little disturbing however.

Trying just to enjoy whats falling for now - beautiful morning out - :snowing:

Archived