Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh/Western Pa Weather

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i know it looks like a mess but I think it looks like a 2-4 inch event with some mixing. Not a strong storm but I would take an off and on snowy Saturday with lake effect on Sunday. Still time to change.

I could see 2-4, so long as it doesn't get to weak and strung out that all the moisture goes by to the South.

The only thing I don't like about how things have played out over the past couple events is that it seems to warm up just enough to melt the snow pack in between events. If it would stay cold enough that we could keep adding all these 1-3  & 2-4 events up it would make for snow on the ground you can actually do something with. I admit though this winter thus far has been nothing to complain about, just me nit picking.

with this cold air I wonder how long the lakes will remain "liquid"....

Probably not long. This doesn't seem like a winter where we will be getting LES in late January like some years. We haven't had a favorable trajectory off lakes very much this winter for our area but it looks like a very short window for some light LES could open tonight.

So is this looking like this a bust for some of the meteorologists forecasts so far. It doesn't look like we torch in January. As we get closer to the next month, the models flip to cold such as what we saw with December. I wonder if this will be a good old fashioned winter like my grandpa used to talk about. Back when it would be cold enough to freeze your spit and it snowed sideways.

So is it safe to say around 2-4 saturday?

It's looking that way now. Both the 00z and 06z GFS had between .4 and .5 total qpf. 06z is colder than 00z, but ratios aren't the best. If this ends up a bit colder, that should bump ratios up too so we could even see 3-5. Lets see if 12z today continues the cooling trend.

It's looking that way now. Both the 00z and 06z GFS had between .4 and .5 total qpf. 06z is colder than 00z, but ratios aren't the best. If this ends up a bit colder, that should bump ratios up too so we could even see 3-5. Lets see if 12z today continues the cooling trend.

12Z Nam is even colder. Precip about the same so I think you are right. 2-4 in most areas with a 3-5 in some. I also think the ice and rain are slowly going away and will be further south.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. Not to be the pessimistic one here but more times than not, the models tend to underestimate that dreaded "warm tongue" that we always seem to have issues with in this area, especially the southern communities. The NWS brings it up in their discussion too. They think the NAM is too warm and the GFS is too cold, but they kind of lean more toward the NAM with the SREF model. No matter what, we'll see some accumulation from this but mixing or even a changeover in some areas may cut down totals once again. This isn't a very strong system to begin with so I think the only way we see 3-6 out of it is if we get lucky and that rain/snow line stays to the south. May be yet another case of Allegheny County being the dividing line with that.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. Not to be the pessimistic one here but more times than not, the models tend to underestimate that dreaded "warm tongue" that we always seem to have issues with in this area, especially the southern communities. The NWS brings it up in their discussion too. They think the NAM is too warm and the GFS is too cold, but they kind of lean more toward the NAM with the SREF model. No matter what, we'll see some accumulation from this but mixing or even a changeover in some areas may cut down totals once again. This isn't a very strong system to begin with so I think the only way we see 3-6 out of it is if we get lucky and that rain/snow line stays to the south. May be yet another case of Allegheny County being the dividing line with that.

I saw that discussion where they talk about the Nam. this was before the 12z Nam came in. I think that will change with the next update as the Nam came in colder. The Canadian, which has done a good job with these last few events draws the mix line at the Allegheny/Washington County line so I think Bethel Park will still be in the gray area but the trend is our friend.

http://collaboration.cmc.ec.gc.ca/cmc/cmdn/pcpn_type/pcpn_type_gem_reg.html

Are you ready for the next round of snow? Just think, winter has not even officially started yet! The image below details the snow forecast for late Friday night and Saturday. Snow will begin while most are sleeping and continue for much of the day. If rain mixes in sooner than forecast, amounts will be less across parts of southwestern PA, southeastern OH, and northern WV. We will keep you posted on the latest winter weather event to affect our area.

1488257_511369558961132_1075378508_n.png

It seems our biggest snow enemy so far this year, has been dry air/dry slot.

The last AFD mentions a possible dry slot again.

I'll probably be wrong, but I think a possible dry slot will be more of an issue than temps on Saturday.

I agree, the trend this winter has been for the cold air to to beat out the warm air. We want that low to scoot to the south of us to keep the dry slot at bay and it will help with the warm air threat.

Nam is colder and wetter  :snowman:  :santa:

Hopefully that not just the NAM being the NAM and overdoing precip and the rest of the models follow suite tonight! NWS doesn't seem very impressed at the moment.

Looks like the nam wants to keep the storm unwound for the most part.

That's not so bad, considering what the 850 vort is trying to do.

Pretty awesome to be tracking another storm so soon.

At least for my area, looks like NWS is only forecasting 1-3 with rain and slop toward the end. Had a feeling that would be the case. The low is just going to track too far north before the transfer. Of course, a dry slot is also a possibility with the low getting that close to us. That'll cut the totals down a little in my area. Maybe you guys to the north will hang on to the snow longer and get better totals.

At least for my area, looks like NWS is only forecasting 1-3 with rain and slop toward the end. Had a feeling that would be the case. The low is just going to track too far north before the transfer. Of course, a dry slot is also a possibility with the low getting that close to us. That'll cut the totals down a little in my area. Maybe you guys to the north will hang on to the snow longer and get better totals.

Yeah, if that warm tongue is strong enough the typical SWPA screw zone will be likely, especially if you are South of the city. This advisory map says it all, warnings and advisories to the North, East, & West but we get snow followed by rain and slop.

post-328-0-82800000-1386940340_thumb.jpg

Same old song and dance, watching the radar hoping the mix stays to your south. It does seem that guidance wants to keep surface temps below freezing so that should be interesting to watch. Also, at least on the GFS, it seems like the dry slot may be to our SE, so that could help things out as well if we manage to stay all frozen. Pretty amazing start the the season thus far whatever the outcome of this system, as tracking is half the fun anyways. :santa:

Not to get to far ahead of ourselves here, but if the GFS is correct, that blinding rain storm next weekend will pretty much obliterate what falls this weekend anyways I think, so optimism for a white Christmas is waining. My hope is that the lakes cutter shown follows what seems to be the trend in the pattern of storms becoming less wound up and further SE as we apprach. Either way the storm parade continues. I feel like I may go into some sort of withdrawl syndrome if we get a stretch of 5 days without a storm. :lmao:

Archived