• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh/Western Pa Weather

12z GFS has the weekend storm currently moving across and wrapping up over the New Jersey Coast. It throws good snows back over Western Pa and Ohio but precip typ could be an issue. We are in that mix area too. Still too early as this storm's path will go back and forth. At least it has a storm and we will have to wait and see if the other models have it too. 

Yeah, on the GFS at least it has been in a different location on almost every run. Just yesterday it was pretty far east so at this point pretty much any soltuion from lakes cutter to off the coast are possible.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, on the GFS at least it has been in a different location on almost every run. Just yesterday it was pretty far east so at this point pretty much any soltuion from lakes cutter to off the coast are possible.

Check out the latest GGEM. It brings the rain/snow line practically through Allegheny County again. This far out that is probably good because it most likely won't happen.

http://collaboration.cmc.ec.gc.ca/cmc/cmdn/pcpn_type/pcpn_type_gem_reg.html

Also I know a lot of people don't like JB but I read on his twitter that he thinks the weekend storm is too far north. With the cold air coming in it should move the storm south (which would benefit us and give us all snow) Like I said before way too early but it looks like another busy week of watching the models. :santa:

Ready for more winter weather? The graphic below details amounts, timing, and impacts. If we had an odd range map (e.g. 1-3", 3-5", etc) that would be better to fully capture snowfall amounts, but in the mean time take an inch off each end of the range for forecast snow amounts (e.g. 2-4" would be 1-3"). 

BbD__zqCMAAaqgP.png

Wait when did the amounts get bumped up to 2-4??

That map is deceiving. We are more likely to get 1-3 and southern counties 3-5.

This is the wording that was attached to the map.

Ready for more winter weather? The graphic below details amounts, timing, and impacts. If we had an odd range map (e.g. 1-3", 3-5", etc) that would be better to fully capture snowfall amounts, but in the mean time take an inch off each end of the range for forecast snow amounts (e.g. 2-4" would be 1-3"). 

Arctic Air will arrive midweek. Temperatures will feel like they are in the single digits for much of the area at dawn Wednesday, with below zero wind chills forecast for locations north of Pittsburgh and in the mountains of West Virginia and western Maryland that morning.

US National Weather Service Pittsburgh PA

Wait, what? They can't use odd numbers??

Very odd

BbD__zqCMAAaqgP.png

Bethel Park might be the good zone then.....almost washington county....

The more South and East the better, so it can't hurt. :snowman:

I'm expecting 1 inch of fluff in my area but hoping for 2.

It seems like this winter we have either been to far SE or to far NW to really cash in. Its been a very active period so I can't complain.

US National Weather Service Pittsburgh PA

Wait, what? They can't use odd numbers??

Very odd

BbD__zqCMAAaqgP.png

NWS said they are working on a new map which should include odd number accumulation totals for future storms.

The more South and East the better, so it can't hurt. :snowman:

I'm expecting 1 inch of fluff in my area but hoping for 2.

It seems like this winter we have either been to far SE or to far NW to really cash in. Its been a very active period so I can't complain.

yea exactly....Im gonna be in deep creek this weekend and hoping for a little event friday or saturday!.....

Still a long way out but is it me or does Western PA look like it is in a dry slot compared to the rest of the mid atlantic and northeast on the snow models?

Yeah the precipitation distribution isn't worth worrying about this far out, but I would guess from looking at the 18z GFS that we get caught in the dry slot of the storm this weekend hence the disparity. That storm almost looks like a double barrel low, and we are in the dry slot.

Yeah the precipitation distribution isn't worth worrying about this far out, but I would guess from looking at the 18z GFS that we get caught in the dry slot of the storm this weekend hence the disparity. That storm almost looks like a double barrel low, and we are in the dry slot.

Yeah, looking at the GFS, the low tracks right toward us and then transfers it's energy to a coastal low. Bad setup for us obviously. We get dry slotted and it's too warm of a setup for snow with the initial low anyway. I'm sure this will change a bunch of times between now and then so we'll see.

We had this set up a few years ago. It was highly dependent on how quick the energy transferred to the low. I believe we didn't fare too poorly but those to our south and east had some amazing deform bands and thundersnow! I would much rather be in the dry slot this many days away than the sweet spot. Considering how interesting things have been so far I'm sure his one will test our best forecasting skills and will be fun to watch.

So do we want to see a faster and stronger transfer or the energy being held longer.

Again, using the 18z GFS as our reference point, you want that primary low to transfer to the coast faster. We can do well with Miller Bs if the primary dies off quickly before pumping the upper levels with warm air, and also keep us out of the dry slot the often develops when the secondary starts to absorb the energy from the primary storm. It also helps if the secondary takes a more inland track rather than redeveloping off shore.

VD 2007 is an example of a good miller B, we got a good front end thump as the primary approached, and a strong cold high to the north. We did change over to sleet and zr for awhile, but changed back to snow several hours later as the secondary took over. I'm sure there are some better examples where we maybe even stayed all snow but that storm always comes to mind when I think of high impact Miller B in recent history.

Verbatim, its a double barrel low (2 distinct areas of low pressure) all the way up into new England. That scenario is unlikely in my opinion.

Wasn't the 2010 storm a Miller B with the low transfer off the Delmarva coast? We did quite well with that storm. I have seen first hand how storms can trend slowly but surely to benefit us, so lets see what the models pump out tonight...

Yeah, I believe it was, and as perfect as could be. Primary rode up into the ov, and transferred early enough to keep us all snow. The secondary was far enough west to keep us in heavy snow.

I'm probably the only one up seeing the radar, but it doesn't look good for us right now. The dry slot is heading right for us. I was looking at it earlier and wondering if this was going to be a problem. I'm thinking that we see very little snow at this point unless that dry slot somehow fills back in before it gets to us. I said around an inch with my call earlier. I'm thinking that might be generous right now. Maybe an inch or less would be a better call at this point. Hope I'm wrong. Folks to our east will get the better amounts once again.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PITTSBURGH PA
545 AM EST TUE DEC 10 2013

...SNOW IS CAUSING HAZARDOUS TRAVEL FOR THE MORNING COMMUTE...

OHZ049-050-059-PAZ014-020>023-029-073-WVZ001>004-101500-
/O.EXB.KPBZ.WW.Y.0032.000000T0000Z-131210T1500Z/
HARRISON-JEFFERSON OH-BELMONT-BUTLER-BEAVER-ALLEGHENY-ARMSTRONG-
INDIANA-WASHINGTON-WESTMORELAND-HANCOCK-BROOKE-OHIO-MARSHALL-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...CADIZ...STEUBENVILLE...
ST. CLAIRSVILLE...BUTLER...BEAVER...PITTSBURGH METRO AREA...
KITTANNING...INDIANA...WASHINGTON...GREENSBURG...LATROBE...
WEIRTON...BETHANY...WHEELING...MOUNDSVILLE
545 AM EST TUE DEC 10 2013

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 AM EST THIS
MORNING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN PITTSBURGH HAS ISSUED A WINTER
WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 AM EST
THIS MORNING.

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...2 TO 4 INCHES.

* PERIOD OF MOST INTENSE SNOW...DAYBREAK UNTIL 9 AM.

* IMPACTS...HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED DUE TO SNOW
COVERED ROADS.

Archived