Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh/Western Pa Weather

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm probably the only one up seeing the radar, but it doesn't look good for us right now. The dry slot is heading right for us. I was looking at it earlier and wondering if this was going to be a problem. I'm thinking that we see very little snow at this point unless that dry slot somehow fills back in before it gets to us. I said around an inch with my call earlier. I'm thinking that might be generous right now. Maybe an inch or less would be a better call at this point. Hope I'm wrong. Folks to our east will get the better amounts once again.

Yeah, that dry slot is affecting the snow fall in Greensburg so far. Ground is almost bare, with just some ligth snow falling.

On the other hand, when I left home I had moderate snow falling, and an inch of fluffy snow on the car tops. Roads were terrible til I got into Delmont area, then South of  Route 22 it was like it didn't even snow.

Probably going to end up with 2-3. Ill take it seeing as though last night it looked like an inch was probable. So I like to see what other Mets have to say about storm and although hes not always accurate, HM thinks the heaviest axis of snow this weekend will be from St Louis to Boston. This would put us around that axis, lets see how this pans out.

Probably going to end up with 2-3. Ill take it seeing as though last night it looked like an inch was probable. So I like to see what other Mets have to say about storm and although hes not always accurate, HM thinks the heaviest axis of snow this weekend will be from St Louis to Boston. This would put us around that axis, lets see how this pans out.

Do you mean Henry Margusity or the HM that posts at this forum? They are 2 different people.

Yeah, I believe it was, and as perfect as could be. Primary rode up into the ov, and transferred early enough to keep us all snow. The secondary was far enough west to keep us in heavy snow.

Yeah, that storm had historic blocking as well. Given that setup the storm had no other option but to redevelop. Also had extreme cutoff of snow totals on the northern edge.

I'd love to get a big storm in the Mid December thourgh mid January period with some prolonged cold and several smaller events to follow after.

Doesnt look like anything heavy is coming our way , but most likely what we have been seeing 1-2, 2-4. We shall see though, the models are doing a terrible job on these storms.

GFS looks like more frozen though than what has been shown the last several days. Not a bad trend. GGEM still appears to keep the double barell low look.

So realistically what are the chances we see significant snow from this system?

I guess that depends on what you define as significant, 4-6 inches? I'd say 10% at this point given current guidance. It just looks like we will need to rely on a front end thump, then we go to mix and rain before the dryslot moves in after we are cold enough for snow. Given this will likely be a mixed precip event that wxbell map is probably not close to accurate, at least for our area, but then again I don't have access to the Euro.

System looks very disorganized until it gets North of here as well. If we see the seocndary take over sooner and some better organization in the coming days I'd quickly change my tune though. I do like the strong arctic Highs coming down out of Canada so we have that going for us.

Winds are pretty gusty tonight.

The snow is blowing in spots across Brownsville Rd.

My west facing location, has some decent sustained winds.

notcied this myself when we left the movie theatre this evening, rather strong breeze going. Fittingly I suppose, we took my daughter to see Frozen and it sure felt it on the way back to the car!

We could sure use an Elsa around here, maybe she could lend a helping hand for this weekend storm? :)

post-328-0-66760300-1386730031_thumb.jpg

One last post from Accuwx forums then Im going to sleep.

Man, I don't think you guys appreciate the evolution of this storm over the last 3-4 days. This is actually really close to being a monster storm, particularly for the interior. There is a bit of 50/50 blocking because of the obnoxious PV. When you look at hours 84-96, if the vort areas could just condense we'd have quite the storm. It eventually all comes together and it bombs out to 968 mb, but that's the potential if it all comes together at the right time.

Every day the forecast plots have changed to show something else. Looking forward to see the new wrinkles that tomorrow brings. No one should be worried about not being in the jackpot zone or seeing specific p-types this far out. Lots of things to iron out.

Doesnt look like our storm but we may see something to watch.

What happens if the models arent picking up the fact that the southwest energy is being propelled too fast and this phases earlier. Would this be good or bad for us?

I don't think we want a fast phase, that would likely mean a stronger primary that will drive further North. We want that primary to transfer to east of the Apps South of us to keep the dryslot away and keep WAA from scowering out all the cold air. I'm not a big fan of the double barrell low look either, although models have seemed to slowly back away from this idea. Definilty would not write this off yet or throw in the towel by any means as some wintry precipitation is very likely at this point, its just a matter of how much and what type.

Nam looks to give us about 3.5 inches of snow. Storm looks colder and more strung out. Keeps us in more snow though. Progressing.

To me it looks like a good deal of overrunning and then forms SLP in georgia at the end of its range. So maybe more to come betond 84.

Not sure how realistic that is, but that would seem to set up nice for a potential one/two punch

To me it looks like a good deal of overrunning and then forms SLP in georgia at the end of its range. So maybe more to come betond 84.

Not sure how realistic that is, but that would seem to set up nice for a potential one/two punch

Yeah that does look intersting. Of course the tpyical NAM after 48 hours caveat applies but it will be interesting to see if the GFS looks similar.

Wait did I say NAM after 48, I meant 24 er 12 er 3.. :lmao:

GFS looking pretty animec for the weekend storm. Still some time to develop into something more favorable but it seems the models have been trending towards an unorganized broad area of low pressure with some week over running ahead of it.

i know it looks like a mess but I think it looks like a 2-4 inch event with some mixing. Not a strong storm but I would take an off and on snowy Saturday with lake effect on Sunday. Still time to change.

Archived