• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh/Western Pa Weather

This has really been a surprise. Since my rain post 2 hours ago I have picked up about 1.5 inches of heavy wet snow.

My temp has fallen from 34.7 to 33.6 in the last hour.

The rain/snow line seems to have stopped. I am at a high elevation and I have visibility 0.5 mile and heavy snow.

It seems like a lot of our area has been all snow. I haven't heard from anyone south of here. How are the Bethel people doing? Rain or snow?

I'm a few miles south of downtown, and it's been mod to hvy snow for about 1/2 hr.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I left here and went down to Robinson around 1:30. Just north of KPIT, it seemed to have pretty much changed to rain. I kinda thought that was going to be the end of any possibility for accumulation. Been back home in Hopewell for around an hour, and it's been snowing hard the whole time. There's at least a couple of inches here, very heavy and wet.

Moderate to heavy snow here as well, easily the best rates all day. Aside from some sleet in the afternoon I stayed all snow. I'm pretty sure the R/S line is retreating now.

Aside from the delayed start, which was partially due to dry air, the models did a good job in terms of what they showed was going to happen vs sensible weather today. NWS may have been better off leaving the 3-5 though I would have bet against the cold winning out too.

Well, if the snow can hold on another hour or so, it looks like the bulk of the precip will be out of here. Just incredible snow fall rates right now!

Yes I picked up 2 inches of snow in the last 3 hours and it is the very heavy wet snow. 

Looking at the traffic cams you can see the roads have snow on them to the North and East and are just wet from the West and South.

http://trafficland.com/city/PIT/index.html

Moderate to heavy snow here as well, easily the best rates all day. Aside from some sleet in the afternoon I stayed all snow. I'm pretty sure the R/S line is retreating now. Aside from the delayed start, which was partially due to dry air, the models did a good job in terms of what they showed was going to happen vs sensible weather today. NWS may have been better off leaving the 3-5 though I would have bet against the cold winning out too.

Well, the warm tongue basically did what it almost always does around here. Split through Allegheny County. If the NWS would have split its advisory up, that would have worked out better. Say 3-5 north of Pittsburgh and maybe 1-3 south of pittsburgh. There's no way south of Pittsburgh is going to end up with anywhere near 3-5 like you guys to the north may get. The NWS actually did that with a previous storm from what I remember. Should have done it with this one as well. The mixing and changeover was going to happen south of the city and cut totals down substantially. It is tough to judge how far north that line will go, I admit. History tells us that with systems like this one, the warm tongue almost always creeps above the Washington/Allegheny border at the very least.

I saw these echoes in Kentucky earlier and thought maybe they get here about the time the secondary low gets going....gives us a bit of a wind shift....but doesn't completely rob the western edge of the system yet.

Thought maybe it was weenism....and maybe that isn't "exactly" what happened, but I think that is essentially the reason for this burst. Heaviest daytime snow I have seen at least since that after Christmas storm last year. Turned over to sleet briefly, now back to snow/sleet mix.

Hope you make it home ok. I know you were rooting for a period of heavy snow, so enjoy it! I didn't expect to see this today thats for sure!

So I decided to adventure out to Wexford area after my final, and the snowfall rates were incredible. It had to be an inch if not more per hour. Visibility was extremely low. Im glad I got to experience the heavy snow, but I wont be driving in a snowstorm like that anytime soon

Still snow here. I went to the mall when it first changed to rain and I thought that was it. I came back out to it completely pouring snow. It's amazing. McKnight road is nearly a parking lot and conditions got much worse when I went up the hill to Mccandless. It looks like around 2 inches. Maybe more like 2.5 with melting. Really nice after people were already ripping on all the mets saying look it didn't snow again.

I have to say the mets got it right 2-4 was a good call but hopefully we can see more. I read on accuweather forums of a possible storm the 22-24 and looks to have huge amounts of precip with it. This of course will change a million times, but there will be an arctic front coming with it.

I have to say the mets got it right 2-4 was a good call but hopefully we can see more. I read on accuweather forums of a possible storm the 22-24 and looks to have huge amounts of precip with it. This of course will change a million times, but there will be an arctic front coming with it.

3.5 inches here. 

1 inch this morning thru lunch and 2.5 inches in the afternoon in about 3 hours.

My son and I just shoveled the driveway. Very heavy and wet. Great for snowballs and snowmen.

Light sleet and light rain/snow falling now.

I'm not sure there was a forecast that could cover exactly how this evolved.....but...

I think it was forecasted well - lots of potential for a big snow-maker, but a couple mitigating factors that prevented it from being widespread

Well, the warm tongue basically did what it almost always does around here. Split through Allegheny County. If the NWS would have split its advisory up, that would have worked out better. Say 3-5 north of Pittsburgh and maybe 1-3 south of pittsburgh. There's no way south of Pittsburgh is going to end up with anywhere near 3-5 like you guys to the north may get. The NWS actually did that with a previous storm from what I remember. Should have done it with this one as well. The mixing and changeover was going to happen south of the city and cut totals down substantially. It is tough to judge how far north that line will go, I admit. History tells us that with systems like this one, the warm tongue almost always creeps above the Washington/Allegheny border at the very least.

I agree with this and will add one caveat....

Not sure why mets around here don't emphasis differences in elevation - especially in borderline temperature scenarios. That has been the story of this month.The only thing you hear is "in the ridges"

Well yeah...the ridges....but when you have an urban area around 700 or 800 feet.... and suburbs that range from 1,000 to 1,400 feet, you are going to have differences. So I'd like to hear "above 1,000 feet", etc introduced in the forecast.

Sure - people won't know what the hell the difference is at first, but they will learn. I beat on the "split the Westmoreland and Fayette CWAs" thing for a couple years and that finally happened (unlikely due to me :santa: ).

I completely agree. The NWS got the allegheny county gradient spot on. Also it seems that once again we can go with whatever happens here will happen here. Even though the last minute model runs appeared warmer, northern allegheny and westmoreland counties got the snow. I know it's not extremely scientific but I tend to make better forecasts from experience and intuition coupled with model runs instead of reading every little piece of data from every model that exists.

Freeport (Armstrong County) just reported 6 inches, right at 6.5" here, definitely surpassed expectations today!

I am going to take a guess and say that has got to be the back part of Freeport heading toward Slate Lick.  My in laws live there and my husband and son were there hunting mid afternoon and said it was unreal.

Also, there is a weather belt there that always seems to give a couple of inches more snow than we get up in Ford City.

I am going to take a guess and say that has got to be the back part of Freeport heading toward Slate Lick.  My in laws live there and my husband and son were there hunting mid afternoon and said it was unreal.

Also, there is a weather belt there that always seems to give a couple of inches more snow than we get up in Ford City.

Yeah, the report came from 5 miles North of Freeport: http://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/lsr/#PBZ/201312142204/201312142204/0100

Yeah, the report came from 5 miles North of Freeport: http://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/lsr/#PBZ/201312142204/201312142204/0100

My parents live about 5 miles north of Freeport, I'd say about 2 miles North of South Buffalo Elementary, and I can confirm they always have more snow than I do baring some fluke LES band or something. I also notice temps run 2-3 degrees cooler pretty much year round. I only know this from the car themometer so it could be off.

Archived