• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Pittsburgh/Western Pa Weather

Has anyone looked into a little clipper on tuesday coming through. Looks like a 1-2 event for us.

I wonder if we see a bit of a light burst tomorrow late morning early afternoon of some Lake enhanced snow showers? Nothing major, but maybe a fresh coating. Maybe I'm just halucinating looking at the 00z NAM though. :)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My parents live about 5 miles north of Freeport, I'd say about 2 miles North of South Buffalo Elementary, and I can confirm they always have more snow than I do baring some fluke LES band or something. I also notice temps run 2-3 degrees cooler pretty much year round. I only know this from the car themometer so it could be off.

LOL seems like my inlaws and your parents near each other.......If you know where Novotny's is, my inlaws are right there.

But with you saying north of SBE, then that would be out by our nice weather Sunday afternoon spot....Cabin Greens.

Here in Peters a net 0" snowfall based on my very unscientific observation, some snow on and off in the AM yesterday and then rain, some more wet snow than rain. My better half up in Franklin Township, she got about 5" almost all snow. This storm officially a bust in my book, the weather Gods just wanted it to rain at 32-34 degrees. Well I don't count on snowstorm season really beginning until after Xmas, so let's get this preseason over with. Where is our 25 year old Met living out in Altoona and his 9" snowfall map for himself..hmmmm, that was weenie extraordinaire.

My obs were pretty much the same here in Canonsburg. About 0.5" of snow before the changover to rain...all afternoon & evening was 90-95% rain with a few flakes from time to time.

Here in Peters a net 0" snowfall based on my very unscientific observation, some snow on and off in the AM yesterday and then rain, some more wet snow than rain. My better half up in Franklin Township, she got about 5" almost all snow. This storm officially a bust in my book, the weather Gods just wanted it to rain at 32-34 degrees.  Well I don't count on snowstorm season really beginning until after Xmas, so let's get this preseason over with.  Where is our 25 year old Met living out in Altoona and his 9" snowfall map for himself..hmmmm, that was weenie extraordinaire.   

Except, you know, 6-9" is what they got. Might want to actually look at reality before you rip someone.

...BLAIR COUNTY...   ALTOONA                9.0   930 PM 12/14  SOCIAL MEDIA   HOLLIDAYSBURG          8.0   900 PM 12/14  SOCIAL MEDIA   FRANKSTOWN             7.5   745 PM 12/14  SOCIAL MEDIA   1 SW BELLWOOD          7.0  1047 PM 12/14  TRAINED SPOTTER   POINT VIEW             6.0   755 PM 12/14  SOCIAL MEDIA

Here in Peters a net 0" snowfall based on my very unscientific observation, some snow on and off in the AM yesterday and then rain, some more wet snow than rain. My better half up in Franklin Township, she got about 5" almost all snow. This storm officially a bust in my book, the weather Gods just wanted it to rain at 32-34 degrees. Well I don't count on snowstorm season really beginning until after Xmas, so let's get this preseason over with. Where is our 25 year old Met living out in Altoona and his 9" snowfall map for himself..hmmmm, that was weenie extraordinaire.

I was nice about this the first time, but you need to stop and not scare off professionals

No really...you do

Again - nice call by you two storms ago ripping on the NWS for a call of rain in Washington that was RIGHT. How come you never followed up on that?

Calling a pro a weenie? And you personally add nothing of value? Thats bull****.

Not to meantion the fact that ONCE AGAIN the pros were RIGHT.

Thats historically bad posting whether we are talking Wright, Eastern, or American

My attempt to avoid the rain failed haha.  Despite being in downtown Pittsburgh, we only managed an inch or less before the rain changeover occurred even before noon yesterday.  I think the rain just follows me around wherever I go, so apologies to those in the area who wanted more snow.  My fault!

I imagine Motown didn't get any snow if the changeover occurred so early here.  Still it's only December so I guess I can't worry too much, just hope the rest of winter provides better opportunities for cold and snow at the same time.

I can attest to the sharp gradient across AGH county. I drove from my neighbourhood in the city to Wexford and a little further north and it was night and day difference. The snow was coming down probably close to 1 inch per hour and the roads were terrible. Wexford received 5 inches which was the forecast. The further south you traveled the harder the forecast was. Everyone needs to relax about getting on mets in the thread, they bring to us a pro view of the storm. Its going to snow where it wants to snow and its only mid December.

My attempt to avoid the rain failed haha. Despite being in downtown Pittsburgh, we only managed an inch or less before the rain changeover occurred even before noon yesterday. I think the rain just follows me around wherever I go, so apologies to those in the area who wanted more snow. My fault!

I imagine Motown didn't get any snow if the changeover occurred so early here. Still it's only December so I guess I can't worry too much, just hope the rest of winter provides better opportunities for cold and snow at the same time.

You have bad luck - hopefully that changes. The early to mid 90s were a great run of snowstorms where south did just as well if not better.

If we are talking P-type issues, south or downtown is usually not the spot to be. So its not you!

I can attest to the sharp gradient across AGH county. I drove from my neighbourhood in the city to Wexford and a little further north and it was night and day difference. The snow was coming down probably close to 1 inch per hour and the roads were terrible. Wexford received 5 inches which was the forecast. The further south you traveled the harder the forecast was. Everyone needs to relax about getting on mets in the thread, they bring to us a pro view of the storm. Its going to snow where it wants to snow and its only mid December.

I dont think people are getting on mets. Just one poster babbling.

It was a well forecasted storm, just a ton of different conditions within tight forecast areas. My only thing is that i would like to see elevation with the metro area introduced more into the forecasts

A little elevation went a long way with this one. 2-4 was the call and most spots I saw received a little over 3. I have a feeling our time will come this year. Either way we're nearly halfway to our seasonal total mid way through december. I for one won't complain about a little warm up, especially since the end of the month looks like another active period for us. 

Well, my take on this storm is that it was a bust for some and worked out as forecasted for others. Just depends on where you were at.  It happens. I wasn't in Bethel most of the day yesterday, but from what my wife tells me, we probably picked up about a half inch before the changeover. There's almost nothing on the ground here now after all of that rain. We've been through this many times. Like I mentioned in a previous post, that rain/snow line has split Allegheny County more times than I can count at this point. Living in Bethel, I've learned that I have to take this with a grain of salt at this point. There will be many more storms like this in the future where that dreaded warm tongue will have to be dealt with and the mets won't know exactly how far north it's going to go. Anyway, on to the next one. Here's hoping we can get a storm that works out for all of us eventually. A February 5-6, 2010 redux would be nice.  :snowing:

Here in Peters a net 0" snowfall based on my very unscientific observation, some snow on and off in the AM yesterday and then rain, some more wet snow than rain. My better half up in Franklin Township, she got about 5" almost all snow. This storm officially a bust in my book, the weather Gods just wanted it to rain at 32-34 degrees.  Well I don't count on snowstorm season really beginning until after Xmas, so let's get this preseason over with.  Where is our 25 year old Met living out in Altoona and his 9" snowfall map for himself..hmmmm, that was weenie extraordinaire.   

Really?

Looks like a pretty decent chance at a couple inches over the next few days.  And it'll be all snow! 

In fact..  it's snowing here now.  I actually get to see some snow on the grass today, as opposed to yesterday.

The upcoming clipper does look interesting. even the GFS was showing some relatively higher qpf values for th area.

The upcoming clipper does look interesting. even the GFS was showing some relatively higher qpf values for th area.

Joe Bastardi mentioned that the ratios may be really high with this one, so the GFS numbers might actually be on the low side. It'll be nice to get something without any p-type concerns for a change, even if it's not big amounts.

Temps are dipping in to the high teens with 30 mph gusts

15 years ago you probably would have heard them promote like a -20 windchill for the game. But I think the current methods are much more conservative and more like around zero for that combo of temps and wind. Not an expert on that, just know its somewhere in that area

Looks like after this clipper we start to warm up and get a heavy amount of rain. So much for a snowpack and a white Christmas.

Yeah, its unfortunate timing for a relaxation in the pattern for those rooting for a white Christmas. We shall see how things evolve though, just 24-48 hours ago everyone was on the minor warmup train followed by solid cold returning in time for a wintry event before Christmas, instead reading the other forums I feel suicide watches for some posters may be in order!

It seems most indicies seemed to argue for warmth this winter thus far, only to be trumped by a -EPO and the PV residing on our side of the globe. If we see the EPO go towards neutral and the PV lift north for awhile, it would seem to make sense to not favor the season trend of cold winning out. Then again the next runs of models may be colder again so it will be interesting to follow how the pattern re-load progresses.

Archived