• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh/Western Pa Weather

I only picked up about 1.5 From this one. When I can still see grass peaking out of the top of the snow, I know it was a pretty minor event. The original forecast of 1-3 for my area ended up being the accurate one. On to the next one.

Yea the NWS forecast from Thursday for my area of 1-2" was by far the most accurate, only got 1.5" here as well. It was a small time frame to get 4" or more, because of so much mixing during the day. The heavier snow only lasted from about 6 to 9 here.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I only picked up about 1.5 From this one. When I can still see grass peaking out of the top of the snow, I know it was a pretty minor event. The original forecast of 1-3 for my area ended up being the accurate one. On to the next one.

Yea the NWS forecast from Thursday for my area of 1-2" was by far the most accurate, only got 1.5" here as well. It was a small time frame to get 4" or more, because of so much mixing during the day. The heavier snow only lasted from about 6 to 9 here.

Yeah I agree.

What yesterdays models and forecast saw as a SE shift of snow, was in reality an attack of dry air moving SE.

Another perspective:

11.4" so far this year

4.0" normal

0.3 last year

And we have missed out on at least half of what we've gotten so far. LOL

Yeah I agree.

What yesterdays models and forecast saw as a SE shift of snow, was in reality an attack of dry air moving SE.

Another perspective:

11.4" so far this year

4.0" normal

0.3 last year

And we have missed out on at least half of what we've gotten so far. LOL

Lots of work getting there though. Would have rathered a bunch of snow showers than a couple tricky and underperforming storms

I'll be positive now...

Picked up 2 inches here. No big deal. Sometimes the excitement of the storm and tracking it are more fun than the storm itself. I always look on the bright side, My teenage son was out last night so the lighter snowfall made it easier on me to not worry as much as the roads stayed clear. Also, not much to shovel today so better on my back.

What does everyone think of the storm coming tomorrow? I know it will be light and mix and eventually change to rain but it would be nice to see snow falling for the Steeler game. Me may end up having our only snow for the day during the game. Comments?

Picked up 2 inches here. No big deal. Sometimes the excitement of the storm and tracking it are more fun than the storm itself. I always look on the bright side, My teenage son was out last night so the lighter snowfall made it easier on me to not worry as much as the roads stayed clear. Also, not much to shovel today so better on my back.

What does everyone think of the storm coming tomorrow? I know it will be light and mix and eventually change to rain but it would be nice to see snow falling for the Steeler game. Me may end up having our only snow for the day during the game. Comments?

I'm not sure what to expect. It looks like we don't get much precip while temperatures are cold so I don't expect much snow at this point.

Ideally, we'd get a front end thump of snow and sleet followed by dry slot after temps at the surface and column go above freezing. Not sure how likely that is at this point.

Joe Denardo from WTAE and Bob Kudzma were my 2 favorite weatherman growing up. If anyone else out there is my age and can remember the 2 we were lucky to have them.

Since Joe's name has been brought up in recent posts I am attaching the link in which most of you have seen but it is always nice to watch again to see how much I miss his weather forecasts. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzM6YVTkd-A

My favorite is around the 3:49 mark where he goes over the snow totals. That map is crazy for snow totals for a one day storm which really surprised many of us as I had to drive from work downtown to my home in Plum. While at work that morning, actually looking out the windows from the 7th floor of my office building, I think it was the hardest I ever saw it snow. (I had to abandon my car off RT 286 in Holiday Park on my way home and go get my car later that night)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ1j1hfuHvk

DeNardo was good.  Probably my favorite meteorologist on Pittsburgh TV, though, was Matt Morano on Fox 53 from 1998 to 2003.  He was accurate and did not always go low on snow totals like some others do.  Going low all the time works most of the time, but when the big one comes, this approach fails and people can be caught off guard.

I would of loved to have been old enough to enjoy the "blizzard" of 94. Snowfall rates at 3-5 inches an hour is absurd. I doubt I ever get to witness that anytime soon here.

Still my favorite storm of all time. I received 27" in one day from that one where I was living. A lot of it fell during the day too. Can't remember the last significant snowstorm we had that was mainly during the day. The 2010 storm was an all nighter. Maybe the President's Day weekend storm of 2003 would be the last one since that fell day and night. 

I know its a week+ out but has anyone taken a look at the storm in 15-20 range.

http://theweathercentre.blogspot.com/2013/12/december-15-20-potential-significant.html?m=1

I've noticed this threat on the GFS, but right now its out to sea for the most part. The author here implies it is likely to be a lakes cutter. If that's the case prepare to see a few runs in the coming days that show us in the bulls eye only to have it end up to far west and we end up in the warm sector. Without blocking I think for any strong storm we have to rely on timing if phasing is involved and ridging in a favorable location to steer the storm so to speak on a good path for us.

I'm a bit more confident we may see a couple inches from this system today. Latest NAM ( I know its nowcast time) seems to show heavier precip making it a bit further North, which seems on par with other WAA setups in that the Northern edge of precipitation tends to over perform. Then as temperatures warm, we see the precipitation shutoff or lighten up considerably.

I'm a bit more confident we may see a couple inches from this system today. Latest NAM ( I know its nowcast time) seems to show heavier precip making it a bit further North, which seems on par with other WAA setups in that the Northern edge of precipitation tends to over perform. Then as temperatures warm, we see the precipitation shutoff or lighten up considerably.

No new disco about the wwa, although not suprising for a Sunday.

Yeah, we'll see if a convergence zone sets up in the northern shield.

Mabey someone gets a cheap 3.

Archived