NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PITTSBURGH PA
111 PM EST FRI DEC 6 2013

OHZ039>041-048>050-057>059-068-PAZ013>016-020>023-029-073-074-
WVZ001>003-070215-
TUSCARAWAS-CARROLL-COLUMBIANA-COSHOCTON-HARRISON-JEFFERSON OH-
MUSKINGUM-GUERNSEY-BELMONT-NOBLE-LAWRENCE-BUTLER-CLARION-
JEFFERSON PA-BEAVER-ALLEGHENY-ARMSTRONG-INDIANA-WASHINGTON-
WESTMORELAND-WESTMORELAND RIDGES-HANCOCK-BROOKE-OHIO-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...NEW PHILADELPHIA...CARROLLTON...SALEM...
COSHOCTON...CADIZ...STEUBENVILLE...ZANESVILLE...CAMBRIDGE...
ST. CLAIRSVILLE...CALDWELL...NEW CASTLE...BUTLER...CLARION...
BROOKVILLE...BEAVER...PITTSBURGH METRO AREA...KITTANNING...
INDIANA...WASHINGTON...GREENSBURG...LATROBE...LIGONIER...
DONEGAL...WEIRTON...BETHANY...WHEELING
111 PM EST FRI DEC 6 2013

...ACCUMULATING SNOW FOR THE LATE EVENING...

RAIN WILL MIX WITH SLEET THIS AFTERNOON BEFORE CHANGING TO SNOW
TOWARD SUNSET. A PERIOD OF HEAVIER SNOW CAN BE EXPECTED BETWEEN
600 PM AND 10 PM WITH SNOWFALL RATES APPROACHING AN INCH AN HOUR.
THIS WILL MAKE FOR SLICK AND SNOW COVERED ROADS.

THE SNOW WILL QUICKLY DIMINISH TOWARD MIDNIGHT. 

Guys, a comment on p-type changeover.  850 and 700 hPa isotherms are roughly parallel to the wind vectors.  This means that little cold air advection is occurring at these levels and thus the 850-700 hPa temperature will not change much *due to advection* over the next few hours.  However, good upward vertical motion should cause the cooling that we want to switch precip. over to snow.  So, the way it appears to me is that PIT should go from light mixed precip. to moderate-heavy snow near/shortly after 21z.

Guys, a comment on p-type changeover.  850 and 700 hPa isotherms are roughly parallel to the wind vectors.  This means that little cold air advection is occurring at these levels and thus the 850-700 hPa temperature will not change much *due to advection* over the next few hours.  However, good upward vertical motion should cause the cooling that we want to switch precip. over to snow.  So, the way it appears to me is that PIT should go from light mixed precip. to moderate-heavy snow near/shortly after 21z.

Good stuff.  Thanks for the input.  Hope you are wrong with the timing and we get the heavier snow much sooner if we are to maximize snow potential.

Yep... which means most of the cooling in the warm nose aloft will be due to endothermic cooling as snow melts in the warm nose. Thus you might find some significant discrepancies in P-type this afternoon and evening as the heavier snow bands start to move in. To add insult to injury, the synoptic pattern is favorable for training snowbands (due to the neutral temperature advection with snow bands paralleling isotherms). Thus, some locations will get lucky and under one of these potent bands and switch over to snow pretty early on the event. Those that get caught in between bands might not be so fortunate. 

Good afternoon everyone. I just joined the forums after being an avid follower for about 2 years! I always feel like there aren't many people from my area so I finally decided to join.

I received a Meteorlogy degree from Penn State in December of 2011, but ended up getting a job as a computer programmer so I thought I would put my degree to good use here!

I am reporting out of the Mccandless area. I'm excited ride this storm out with you all!

Good afternoon everyone. I just joined the forums after being an avid follower for about 2 years! I always feel like there aren't many people from my area so I finally decided to join.

I received a Meteorlogy degree from Penn State in December of 2011, but ended up getting a job as a computer programmer so I thought I would put my degree to good use here!

I am reporting out of the Mccandless area. I'm excited ride this storm out with you all!

Welcome. I am in Ross so I am very close to you. It would be nice to have a fellow poster nearby.

BTW I am now getting some light sleet!!!!!

Nice. My buddy lives just off Ingomar. You'd think he lived in the middle of Westmoreland County, nice wooded lot, etc., and not close to the city. Welcome. I'm from York, now live near State College but lived 15 very wonderful years in Pittsburgh. I miss it. I'm a Burgh boy and proud of it. 

Great! I'm looking at the radar and it appears the rain/snow line is at west view but I didn't have any confirmation. I'm still at work in Braddock where it's a very cold rain. NWS changed my forecast from 2 to 4 to 5 to 9. I think the 9 would be wishcasting but someone who is sitting under one of those bands could be in for a nice surprise.

I have radarscope on my cell phone and I love it. It does cost $9.99 one time but well worth it. Great for thunderstorms and the new precipitation Depiction mode is great. It came in handy with last weeks storm. I can't remember if I posted this or not but this is a screenshot from last weeks storm when most of the County went to rain. (Remember this is not a current radar. This is a screenshot from last week)

post-337-0-55913600-1386359401_thumb.png

Welcome! Glad you decided to join. The more posters, especially those with meteorolgy expereince the better! :snowing:

Archived