Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Pittsburgh/Western Pa Weather

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Light rain mixing with sleet and a few wet flakes here too.

Looking at my new radarscope on my phone it shows the changeover rather well. The rain/snow line looks to be from around Wheeling through my house and into New Kensington. This line looks to be moving farther north. A lot of the models had all of Allegheny County over to rain late this afternoon and they may be right. 

As I type I can still hear the pings on the window but the precip has really lightened up.

Maddening to be sitting between 32 and 33 degrees while it pours down rain. So far the radar looks pretty close to what the models showed. The surface is not the problem, its the upper levels. I took a snapshot for all the new folks to see, we seem to do battle with this all the time and more ofthen than not it wins.

post-328-0-38671100-1385508184_thumb.jpg

Maddening to be sitting between 32 and 33 degrees while it pours down rain. So far the radar looks pretty close to what the models showed. The surface is not the problem, its the upper levels. I took a snapshot for all the new folks to see, we seem to do battle with this all the time and more ofthen than not it wins.

I agree, so far everything is playing out as forecasted. 

Nws has done a good job for our area.

The earlier disco mentioned stronger mid and upper level dynamics tonight with the northern stream approaching.

Hopefully this will be enough to change us back, before we lose too much QPF.

One good thing is with the surface already at or near freezing once the change over happens accumulations can resume. I am skeptical that anyone who is seeing the rain right now will measure more than 4 inches tomorrow when all is said and done. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

One good thing is with the surface already at or near freezing once the change over happens accumulations can resume. I am skeptical that anyone who is seeing the rain right now will measure more than 4 inches tomorrow when all is said and done. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

I really think a good 4-6 overnight still. I'm not sure why you are so low on totals? Where are you in the city?

I really think a good 4-6 overnight still. I'm not sure why you are so low on totals? Where are you in the city?

I'm in the New Kensington area in Westemoreland County, right on the border of Allegheny. I'm just anticipating the warm air aloft may hold on a bit longer than progged, especially considering it has made it a bit further NW than anticipated. We have a pretty narrow window of time from what I can tell when the best dynamics are here to get our snow. The back end snows are more from the upper level low, than what you would typically call wrap around so that does give some credence to the idea.

At this point my opinion is more based on past experience than actual numbers and science. I hope to bust badly. :snowing:

about 3" of snow in Sarver area today at 1PM, Changed over to a mix around 1:30, then plain rain, still rain as 10PM approaches.. 

Yesterdays forecasts for Tues/Wed totals were:

KDKA: 2-6 in 

WTAE: 4-8 in

WPXI: 6-8 in

NWS: 6-8 in

Didn't expect such a long period of rain... probably lucky to get 3-4 inches at the most tonight into tomorrow

Archived