Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Pittsburgh/Western Pa Weather

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not looking very good for any overnight accumulations. Maybe another 1-2 at best, looks like it's really drying up out there. November or not this was a pretty frustrating storm but at least we managed to get a head start to the winter.

You're right. The storm over-performed last night and this morning and under-performed today and so far tonight.

I'm in the New Kensington area in Westemoreland County, right on the border of Allegheny. I'm just anticipating the warm air aloft may hold on a bit longer than progged, especially considering it has made it a bit further NW than anticipated. We have a pretty narrow window of time from what I can tell when the best dynamics are here to get our snow. The back end snows are more from the upper level low, than what you would typically call wrap around so that does give some credence to the idea.

At this point my opinion is more based on past experience than actual numbers and science. I hope to bust badly. :snowing:

Well, I didn't expect to bust on the low end.. :axe:  Currently, 0 new snow accumulation. Did anyone else fair any better?

But in all honestly I'm not surprised by the outcome. Yesterdays 12z ,18z GFS and NAM both showed less qpf with each run after the change back to snow. That, past experience, and time of year was enough to be weary of  forecasts for a lot of snow. I think overall the storm was modeled well as we got close. Both the GFS and NAM showed the 850 0c line well north and west of our area during the bulk of the preciptiation.

Well, I didn't expect to bust on the low end.. :axe: Currently, 0 new snow accumulation. Did anyone else fair any better?

But in all honestly I'm not surprised by the outcome. Yesterdays 12z ,18z GFS and NAM both showed less qpf with each run after the change back to snow. That, past experience, and time of year was enough to be weary of forecasts for a lot of snow. I think overall the storm was modeled well as we got close. Both the GFS and NAM showed the 850 0c line well north and west of our area during the bulk of the preciptiation.

I picked up another half inch overnight. I guess the local mets were spot on with their amounts thanks to the early changeover and the back end precip fizzling out. I probably picked up about 4 inches overall from the storm even though I don't have that on the ground right now thanks to the rain.

I picked up another half inch overnight. I guess the local mets were spot on with their amounts thanks to the early changeover and the back end precip fizzling out. I probably picked up about 4 inches overall from the storm even though I don't have that on the ground right now thanks to the rain.

Pretty much the same here.

After I posted a couple of snow showers came through as I was scraping the frozen rain off the windshield this morning. Not sure how much actually fell but probably .25-.5 of an inch. One thing that was unexpected was how the snow that fell yesterday morning hung around despite over a half inch of rain. I guess 33 degree water doesn't do much to damage a snow pack.  :rolleyes:  Should be like concrete by later today I would think.

The next 5-7 days look fairly uneventful with modest moderation towards normal in the temperature department. Might be a good weekend to get the Holiday lights up.

All and all not bad for November considering it seems the past few have been on the warmer side, although it still stings to have wasted such a nice storm track.

LMAO!!!!

CNN has a live reporter in Pittsburgh and he just said that Pittsburgh is still expecting 5-9 inches of snow over the next several hours. They are trying to hype up the Thanksgiving traveling issues. He was standing near the parkway west looking at wet roads as cars went by 60 mph.

I noticed that on KDKA this morning, they obviously planned for the "big snow" to be the top story, but instead had reporters standing by wet roads etc. It's even worse national media is here hyping an event for all intents and purposes was over 12 hours ago lol.

LMAO!!!!

CNN has a live reporter in Pittsburgh and he just said that Pittsburgh is still expecting 5-9 inches of snow over the next several hours. They are trying to hype up the Thanksgiving traveling issues. He was standing near the parkway west looking at wet roads as cars went by 60 mph.

That's just irresponsible. If you are sent to do a story, you should at least know what is going on.

I'd be pissed at stuff like that if I were a met. Next thing you know, people are telling their friends that they hear that it's "coming today" now, which makes the forecast look busted again.

I do think we were close to having things play out as expected....but that R/S just wouldn't budge last nights. Saw some 8" to 10" reports in extreme eastern Ohio - places that can't be more than 30 miles from the airport.

After I posted a couple of snow showers came through as I was scraping the frozen rain off the windshield this morning. Not sure how much actually fell but probably .25-.5 of an inch. One thing that was unexpected was how the snow that fell yesterday morning hung around despite over a half inch of rain. I guess 33 degree water doesn't do much to damage a snow pack.  :rolleyes:  Should be like concrete by later today I would think.

The next 5-7 days look fairly uneventful with modest moderation towards normal in the temperature department. Might be a good weekend to get the Holiday lights up.

All and all not bad for November considering it seems the past few have been on the warmer side, although it still stings to have wasted such a nice storm track.

I noticed that last night also. the snowpack compacted, but hardly budged.

In the end, it was the weak, broad trough of low pressure, that actually screwed us. Oh well.

The way it is looking is we have a chance at accumulating snow the next few weeks with the negative EPO and some teleconnections fluctuating. Hopefully we can get a nice little pre or even a Christmas Day storm. I cant remember the last Christmas day storm. Last year we got 6-8 inches the day after, but a Christmas eve storm would be awesome.

Archived