• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Pittsburgh/Western Pa Weather

Yeah, I picked up 3 inches overnight as well. We had a very persistent line train right over Allegheny County overnight which still appears to be doing so. Roads are in good shape this morning around here. Mostly wet. It would be nice if this line holds together long enough to let the moisture from the south catch up to it.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would be nice to see that heavier snow slide SE about 50 miles. :snowwindow:

Does that include this mornings 2-3?

I don't know. I assume it is the storm total.

i still do not think some of the local mets don't have a handle on it.

I just had Dennis Bowman on Channel 2 and he is saying 1-2 today as snow mixes with rain and then more snow overnight. Then a total of 3-6. I think if we stay all snow today we will get more than 1-2 unless the snow lightens up at times. 

MY NWS forcast is 2-4 this afternoon which I think is a better call for the day.

I think my call of 5-9 yesterday will still hold, maybe more.

I don't know. I assume it is the storm total.i still do not think some of the local mets don't have a handle on it.I just had Dennis Bowman on Channel 2 and he is saying 1-2 today as snow mixes with rain and then more snow overnight. Then a total of 3-6. I think if we stay all snow today we will get more than 1-2 unless the snow lightens up at times. MY NWS forcast is 2-4 this afternoon which I think is a better call for the day.I think my call of 5-9 yesterday will still hold, maybe more.

I think 1-2 for my area today is a pretty good call. I know that warm tongue is going to get me eventually. It usually does. You'll stay snow longer than me of course, but might still have to deal with a mix eventually too.

Winter Storm Warning

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PITTSBURGH PA

756 AM EST TUE NOV 26 2013

OHZ039>041-048>050-057-058-PAZ013>016-020>022-WVZ001-002-262100-

/O.CON.KPBZ.WS.W.0009.131126T1500Z-131127T1800Z/

TUSCARAWAS-CARROLL-COLUMBIANA-COSHOCTON-HARRISON-JEFFERSON OH-

MUSKINGUM-GUERNSEY-LAWRENCE-BUTLER-CLARION-JEFFERSON PA-BEAVER-

ALLEGHENY-ARMSTRONG-HANCOCK-BROOKE-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...NEW PHILADELPHIA...CARROLLTON...SALEM...

COSHOCTON...CADIZ...STEUBENVILLE...ZANESVILLE...CAMBRIDGE...

NEW CASTLE...BUTLER...CLARION...BROOKVILLE...BEAVER...

PITTSBURGH METRO AREA...KITTANNING...WEIRTON...BETHANY

756 AM EST TUE NOV 26 2013

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1 PM EST

WEDNESDAY...

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...5 TO 9 INCHES...EXCEPT 4 TO 6 INCHES IN

SOUTHEASTERN JEFFERSON COUNTY OHIO...SOUTHERN

BROOKE...SOUTHEASTERN ALLEGHENEY...AND SOUTHEASTERN ARMSTRONG

COUNTIES.

* SNOW BEGINNING...LIGHT SNOW HAS ALREADY DEVELOPED. STEADIER

SNOW WILL MOVE FROM SOUTH TO NORTH LATE THIS MORNING.

* PERIOD OF POSSIBLE TRANSITION...SNOW MAY MIX OR CHANGE TO

SLEET OR RAIN FOR A PERIOD LATE THIS AFTERNOON AND EVENING...

PARTICULARLY IN SOUTHEASTERN JEFFERSON...BROOKE... ALLEGHENY...

AND ARMSTRONG COUNTIES. ALL PRECIPITATION WILL CHANGE BACK TO

SNOW OVERNIGHT.

* PERIOD OF MOST INTENSE SNOW...TONIGHT.

* SNOW ENDING...WIDESPREAD SNOW WILL END WEDNESDAY.

* IMPACTS...HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED DUE TO

REDUCED VISIBILITY ALONG WITH SNOW AND SLEET ACCUMULATION.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WARNING MEANS THAT SNOW...SLEET...OR ICE WILL MAKE

TRAVEL HAZARDOUS OR IMPOSSIBLE. REPORT SNOW OR ICE ACCUMULATION

TO THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BY CALLING...412-262-1988...

POSTING TO THE NWS PITTSBURGH FACEBOOK PAGE...OR USING TWITTER

@NWSPITTSBURGH.

I don't know. I assume it is the storm total.

i still do not think some of the local mets don't have a handle on it.

I just had Dennis Bowman on Channel 2 and he is saying 1-2 today as snow mixes with rain and then more snow overnight. Then a total of 3-6. I think if we stay all snow today we will get more than 1-2 unless the snow lightens up at times. 

MY NWS forcast is 2-4 this afternoon which I think is a better call for the day.

I think my call of 5-9 yesterday will still hold, maybe more.

The big variable is if and where and for how long a change over occurs. This is the NWS Advisory for my backyard, although I am literlly 1 mile from the warning criteria:

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGENATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PITTSBURGH PA756 AM EST TUE NOV 26 2013PAZ031-073-075-262100-/O.CON.KPBZ.WW.Y.0028.000000T0000Z-131127T1800Z/GREENE-WESTMORELAND-FAYETTE-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...WAYNESBURG...GREENSBURG...LATROBE...UNIONTOWN756 AM EST TUE NOV 26 2013...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1 PM ESTWEDNESDAY...* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...2 TO 5 INCHES THIS MORNING...THEN A PERIOD  OF RAIN THAT WILL LIKELY MELT MOST OF THIS. AN ADDITIONAL 2 TO 4  INCHES LIKELY OVERNIGHT TONIGHT THROUGH WEDNESDAY.* SNOW BEGINNING...SNOW HAS ALREADY DEVELOPED. STEADIER SNOW  WILL MOVE FROM SOUTH TO NORTH THIS MORNING.* PERIOD OF TRANSITION...SNOW WILL CHANGE TO RAIN BY THIS  AFTERNOON. ALL PRECIPITATION WILL CHANGE BACK TO SNOW  OVERNIGHT. SIGNIFICANT ACCUMULATIONS ARE NOT ANTICIPATED UNTIL  AFTER THE CHANGEOVER BACK TO SNOW.* PERIOD OF MOST INTENSE SNOW...OVERNIGHT.* SNOW ENDING...WIDESPREAD SNOW WILL END WEDNESDAY.* IMPACTS...HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED DUE TO  ACCUMULATION OF A WINTRY MIX OF SNOW...SLEET...AND ICE.PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY MEANS THAT SNOW...SLEET...OR FREEZINGRAIN WILL CAUSE TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. USE CAUTION WHILE DRIVINGAND REPORT SNOW AND ICE ACCUMULATION TO THE NATIONAL WEATHERSERVICE BY CALLING 412-262-1988...POSTING TO THE NWS PITTSBURGHFACEBOOK PAGE...OR USING TWITTER @NWSPITTSBURGH.

This is why I have been thinking 2-4 all along, as in thats what will be on the ground when its all said and done. I know thats not technically the correct method for measuring snowfall, but as overall impacts go its what matters the most. For those NW of the city, I think they stay cold enough so most of what falls will be snow even if the surface warms above 32 so their overall total when its all said and done could easiy be 4-8. If it stays cold enough, but I don't see a reason why it would (just hoping) then folks will be pleasnatly surprised if they are rooting for snow. It seems that 9 out of 10 times if you overestimate the advancement of the warm tongue you will be right. Maybe this is is the 1 out of 10 that it works the opposite.

We have been lucky that this first batch of snow has over-performed.

I have 3 inches on the ground and still snowing.

Looking at the HRR, the heaviest precip will arrive around noon time and get heavier late this evening and tonight. The question will be does it stay all snow form much of the area or mix and change to rain. 

Just a note: I know most of us do not watch The Weather Channel anymore but I will still put it on to see what they are doing from time to time. They have a live reporter in Atlanta talking about the heavy rain.

The local forecast for my area is saying a slushy inch today.

NWS fail on this storm, there will be no significant rain, if any Washington, Pa and parts north. Look at the radar. Pulling the trigger on downgrading the watch, mistake. 3+ inches and this before the heavy stuff. I'd say 6-8".

Yeah, I think they tried to be a bit too fine with their forecast for each county.

A simpler, more regional forecast may have been better.

I think they'll bump up snow amounts south and east, as the afternoon progresses.

Archived