joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Letter Grade and What Did We Learn This Winter

mackerel_sky

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

F. This winter was equally as bad here as the last one. Sure there were more threats, but none panned out and we finished the season with a trace of snow at KCHA.

EDIT: I need to revise this to a D. Apparently KCHA did record 0.3 inches of snow this season. No idea when that occured. Probably that Saturday system 3-4 weeks ago when I managed to measure about 0.25. 

What I have learned is 1 year of misery doesn't mean you won't have 2 in a row.

I learned that going to find winter is much more productive than waiting for it to find you.  I learned that Snow Packed Chicken is a rare delicacy. I learned that Weather's wife must be a beautiful woman, because their son didn't get his good looks from Weather.

I learned that going to find winter is much more productive than waiting for it to find you. I learned that Snow Packed Chicken is a rare delicacy. I learned that Weather's wife must be a beautiful woman, because their son didn't get his good looks from Weather.

You are a mess. Glad you are back to bring some humor.

Larry Cosgrove came out with his Winter Outlook....it looked pretty good for the south. In red is the track he feels most storms will take this winter. For the south he had Dec/Feb colder with Jan average and March warmer.

j6LpB.jpg

I agree with these tracks.

Thanks for posting your outlook Allen! hug.gif

That's been the pattern all year, why should it change? I agree with the path's LC has posted. I do believe the upstate of SC and western(and northern) NC will see a return to a normal to slightly above normal winter precip. I think the cutoff will be from RDU/Charl/ATL and south. Not that I don't think anyone south has a chance of seeing any winter precip at all, but I'm not going to hold my breath for it to happen.

I give this winter a C-    Only because I had a brief flizzard and recorded a T of snow :wub: 

I forgot about this forum for like 6 months. Anyways, I give the winter an F. It was probably worse than last winter. 0.7 for 12-13 and 1.5 for 11-12. Got a dusting of snow on Christmas Day while just 80 miles west of me in Arkansas had a blizzard, a freezing rain event in January, and a few snow showers last weekend. Also the second winter in a row not falling into the teens (which is the new record.)

Give it a D-. Bad news is that as long as we maintain a cold PDO and a warm AMO, don't look for a lot of changes in the next 3-5 years. The 1950's give a good example of the type winters we are likely to have with an occassional cold one surrounded by a bunch of warm ones with little snow in the SE

D+. Had a couple of dustings and a trace or two.... Last year was an F, only saw about 7 flakes.Not sure why an fits better there but it does lol.....

It's because to say the letter "F", you have to begin with a vowel sound of "E".

On another note - I don't get how some are quipping that this winter was worse than last.  Doesn't make sense.  

I posted that because I agreed with his tracks and my response (below) on how I thought winter would be. This explains the letter grade I gave this winter.

Oh haha. I gave it an A because no one thought I would see snow here especially after this winter. With record highs and other stuff.

It's because to say the letter "F", you have to begin with a vowel sound of "E".

On another note - I don't get how some are quipping that this winter was worse than last. Doesn't make sense.

It does make sense. You don't remember all the teases this year. Where was the historic Mid to late January cold? Or that 12/27 East coast snowstorm? Or the other mess? Or that SSW event?

Precipitation

Last Winter: D+ (saw about a trace of snow and a couple of flurry days)

This Winter (so far): F (Haven't seen one flake or sleet pellet yet)

Temperature

Last Winter: D

This Winter (so far): D

Upgrading my precip grade to a D+ since I had two days of a trace of snow this month which is actually twice as better than last winter where we only had one. :lol:

Archived