Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
E PA/NJ/DE/Okle: Banter/Non Storm OBS thread

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Made it into the abnormally dry on the drought index. We need to start getting some rain systems

Plus the breadbox region of the country still stuck in severe drought category, not good as the spring planting season about to kick in

phl is only like 2.25 below normal for the year, not to bad...The euro has been rock solid on giving the region 1-2 inches of rain starting wednesday lasting through saturday. Its going to be ugly, temps in the low 40s and rain, yuck.

post-587-0-01530300-1365363454_thumb.gifNow, it would not be like Grothar to not bring up drought conditions- yes it is very dry.  I believe we will get enough rain this week to turn the pollen machine on this week and help runoff in the shaly geological areas of the state. The current national USGS maps matches the snow hole very well this year

attachicon.gifdrought map.gifNow, it would not be like Grothar to not bring up drought conditions- yes it is very dry.  I believe we will get enough rain this week to turn the pollen machine on this week and help runoff in the shaly geological areas of the state. The current national USGS maps matches the snow hole very well this year

Agree, greens and fairways were running hard and fast for so early in April also noticed some cracked ground which is a sign of dryness. 

Mike Gorse and others, I am sorry but I am getting really pissed off at Mt. Holly right now about not issuing Red Flag Warnings and not sending out press releases. A special weather statement does not cut with these morons who like to burn.  We have experienced brush fires now for three days in Lehigh and Northampton counties. Its only a matter of time that someone lights up S Mountain.  This is the same type of definitional crap that happened with Sandy. Just because you do not have the humidity factor of 30%, you do not issue one. When in doubt, issue it. No one can fault Mt Holly for being on the safe side. Schykill county has issued a complete burn ban.  I know that definitional warning criteria must be met but NOAA on the whole must look at the entire  picture of what is going on, not just what is in written in the book

1. Criteria for rapid initiation and spread of wildfires in PA:
    • Winds must be sustained at 20 mph (17 knots) for two hours or more, and
    • Minimum Relative Humidities (which usually occur in the afternoon) must be 30 percent or less, and
    • 10-hour Fuel Moistures must be 15 percent or less (and expected to remain there for two or more days).

I'm sorry, do you work in forest fire fighting?  Or have a job somehow related to it?  The state agencies have a strong working relationship with NWS and NWS products are driven by conditions because that's what the state agencies want.  They will only issue if the state agencies also feel it necessary. 

Mike Gorse and others, I am sorry but I am getting really pissed off at Mt. Holly right now about not issuing Red Flag Warnings and not sending out press releases. A special weather statement does not cut with these morons who like to burn. We have experienced brush fires now for three days in Lehigh and Northampton counties. Its only a matter of time that someone lights up S Mountain. This is the same type of definitional crap that happened with Sandy. Just because you do not have the humidity factor of 30%, you do not issue one. When in doubt, issue it. No one can fault Mt Holly for being on the safe side. Schykill county has issued a complete burn ban. I know that definitional warning criteria must be met but NOAA on the whole must look at the entire picture of what is going on, not just what is in written in the book

Criteria for rapid initiation and spread of wildfires in PA:

Winds must be sustained at 20 mph (17 knots) for two hours or more, and

Minimum Relative Humidities (which usually occur in the afternoon) must be 30 percent or less, and

10-hour Fuel Moistures must be 15 percent or less (and expected to remain there for two or more days).

I'm sorry, do you work in forest fire fighting? Or have a job somehow related to it? The state agencies have a strong working relationship with NWS and NWS products are driven by conditions because that's what the state agencies want. They will only issue if the state agencies also feel it necessary.

We're not in RFW criteria, period. Enhanced risk, yes, but none of the criteria is being met. And I love the trashing of Mt. Holly, yet they have to confer with the Forestry Service before issuing advisories. And comparing this to Sandy? Come on now. It's spring fire season, fires happen. What are they supposed to do, issue a RFW every single day, even when the conditions don't warrant it?

I'm not sure about how it works back there, but here, RFW's mean that "explosive" fire growth is anticipated. Have any fires grown "explosively"?

No, not in South Jersey for sure. Even the 150 acre fire in Tabernacle wasn't that big of a deal, most of that was allowed to burn out, which is why it got to the acreage it did. I can't speak for PA though, but I haven't heard of any major fires.

Archived