Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
E PA/NJ/DE/Okle: Banter/Non Storm OBS thread

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just came out of a 50 minute power outage here in downtown West Chester.  Not storm-related, but had me running to my iPhone radar wondering what's up!   Temp 72F now, slight breeze from east.

Great outflow from the first round moving south through SNJ.  Cecil County now lighting up, and that big line coming through Reading heading right into the DE valley.  Looks like a doozy - enjoy!

Record high today here in NW Chester County

We hit 86.4 at 1:20pm eclipses the old record for Chester County of 86.0 way back in 1922....back in 1922 we were in the middle of a 3 day period of 80+ temps - I am sure back then folks didn't believe in all this global warming...ah sorry about that but I think Al Gore had to change that warming to "climate change" chatter we have to deal with today!

Its hard to tell, but I wonder if perhaps the thunderstorms might've "destroyed" the backdoor front in a sense, or maybe shoved it back northeast...

the high res NAM (grain of salt applied) has Philly getting to 70 for a couple of hours around midday before sending that backdoor through and sending us into the 50's by dinner.

It likely won't be *as* warm today but I think 70 is pretty realistic for Philly and south and points west...might even crack 80 south of ILG for a couple of hours.

the high res NAM (grain of salt applied) has Philly getting to 70 for a couple of hours around midday before sending that backdoor through and sending us into the 50's by dinner.

It likely won't be *as* warm today but I think 70 is pretty realistic for Philly and south and points west...might even crack 80 south of ILG for a couple of hours.

There's some low clouds in N NJ, so we'll have to watch what they do...  however fast they spread S and W will probably determine just how warm anyone gets.

Its hard to tell, but I wonder if perhaps the thunderstorms might've "destroyed" the backdoor front in a sense, or maybe shoved it back northeast...

I figured the rain falling in the cool sector would enhance the momentum of that front overnight into this morning, but not so much. It was cool how the front stalled and cut philly in half with a 15º temp gradient for 3 hours yesterday evening.

PHL

19:54  81      

18:54  83

17:54  86 

PNE

19:54 66

18:54 68

17:54 72 

it appears that front is gaining some steam now per visible sat

I figured the rain falling in the cool sector would enhance the momentum of that front overnight into this morning, but not so much. It was cool how the front stalled and cut philly in half with a 15º temp gradient for 3 hours yesterday evening.

Yeah I would've thought that too, but just watching the radar you could see how disruptive the outflow boundaries were even in areas that had already been passed by the front, so it looked like the leading edge of the advecting airmass had been effectively mixed.  That's no longer the case now of course.

Considering I thought it was supposed to be cloudy all day, today was a pretty nice day with the sun being out for quite a while. Yeah we have dropped 4 degrees from our high of 70 in the past 90 mins but then again it is april and its still about average (i think).

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the aurora forecast touted by Accuwx that is currently being shared on FB. I think many of those folks are mixing up the good viewing conditions (for any type of phenomena due to clear skies over the Delmarva and paets of PA) with good chances of the aurora actually being visible so far south. Nevertheless, I am going to have a look-see around 8 pm tonight.

Archived