Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE/Okle: Banter/Non Storm OBS thread

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i seem to remember that the weather this week looked to be miserable but it is turning out to be near the best week of the year

Yup...great weather the past couple days and looks to continue right through the weekend.  Who doesn't love sunny days with temps in the upper 60's and low 70's this time of year?  Not chilly and not hot....perfect, IMO.

Yup...great weather the past couple days and looks to continue right through the weekend.  Who doesn't love sunny days with temps in the upper 60's and low 70's this time of year?  Not chilly and not hot....perfect, IMO.

And low humidity, which is keeping the awful stratus deck from forming

Beautiful day.....skipped a half day of work to go hiking instead....hiked the Batona trail from Pakim pond to Apple pie hill fire tower and back through the Franklin Parker preserve....my feet hurt but it was so nice I didnt want to stop....low humidity and the skeeters were not bad yet

Sounds like a nice hike, might have to try that.  Map?

One intersting thing that I see every year, but took a big note of yesterday since I'm shooting trucking videos and talking about where I am and what I'm doing, is that while things have really greened up in the lower evevations, even here in Tamaqua, higher elevations like Mount Pocono, and to a slightly lesser extent, Hazleton, are almost completely winter brown yet.

In the case of the Mount Pocono area along I-80, none of the typically early greeners like the low shrubbery have any kind of bloom, flower, or leaf. Even the untended grassy areas are just barely starting to green up. It's amazing what a bit of elevation can do.

One intersting thing that I see every year, but took a big note of yesterday since I'm shooting trucking videos and talking about where I am and what I'm doing, is that while things have really greened up in the lower evevations, even here in Tamaqua, higher elevations like Mount Pocono, and to a slightly lesser extent, Hazleton, are almost completely winter brown yet.

In the case of the Mount Pocono area along I-80, none of the typically early greeners like the low shrubbery have any kind of bloom, flower, or leaf. Even the untended grassy areas are just barely starting to green up. It's amazing what a bit of elevation can do.

Road trip to Johnstown, Cambria county on Thursday.    Crossed Babcock Ridge on PA 56, elevation 2700'.   Very weird to

see  daffodils and forsythias just starting to bloom and trees mid-winter bare.   Was told there was still snow in the woods

a few days earlier.

Impressive chill at night due to the excellent radiational cooling conditions and dry airmass overhead.

Here in Monmouth County, my lows since April 21st:

I've only had one night > 43.3 degrees in the last 2 weeks.

21st: 35.3
22nd: 30.4
23rd: 42.2
24th: 37.1
25th: 42.1
26th: 36.7
27th: 35.8
28th: 38.0
29th: 51.0
30th: 41.3

May 1st: 36.0
2nd: 37.0