Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE/Okle: Banter/Non Storm OBS thread

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ray, if you look at the description on this site and compare it to your picture, I think that might be the blackjack oak tree. One of the most common deciduous type trees in the barrens, well adapted to nutrient poor, sandy soils, and tend to have skinnier trunks and shorter overall than red/white oaks. I don't think those are white oaks. Maybe the blackjack oak takes longer to leaf out due to a combination of sandy, acidic soils, and the colder overnights as well. 

But I tend to think the species has much more to do with it than the temperatures. Areas all the way up in Vermont are leafing out more than those pictures you posted.

With regard to pine barrens versus the highlands, I believe that the dominant deciduous tree in the pines is oak, which leafs out late and the proximity to the cold ocean really account for the difference.

Agree it's oak, but my guess is it's the blackjack oak, which seems to leaf out later than the usual red/white oaks around here which are just about fully leafed out.

100% sure this is White Oak. Anyway, plenty of other oaks besides those in the pines. And all species were significantly further ahead in Ramapo than in Byrne.

Interesting stuff. I wonder if the fall leaf drop has similar differences in timing, though my guess would be it's much less significant than in the spring.

only got down to 36F on thermometer and didn't see any frost at 7:15. Actually haven't seen any frost the last three weeks even with other cold snaps the woods must keep the temps up enough or something

Usually its warmer under trees at night.

only got down to 36F on thermometer and didn't see any frost at 7:15. Actually haven't seen any frost the last three weeks even with other cold snaps the woods must keep the temps up enough or something

interesting.

i was 33.5 and your around the corner. 

when i left for work there was lots of frost in fields, larger yards and some roof tops at 6:30am.

interesting.

i was 33.5 and your around the corner. 

when i left for work there was lots of frost in fields, larger yards and some roof tops at 6:30am.

i must be close enough to the trees to get forrest heat island effect, my plants like that

Yesterday my Pocono cabin had an inch or two of snow. Crazy

Did not see any other reports here? Though my iPhone and eyes could be the issue. ;)

Isolated? MPO reported rain briefly.

I'm traveling. My wife said she heard the same from local friends apparently there are pics.

Archived