Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE/Okle: Banter/Non Storm OBS thread

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Frost advisories for NW burbs and pinelands seem likely for tomorrow night.   Looking for close to 32

here in NW Chesco.    I guess it's okay because the downpours beat the tomato plants into submission

so a replant is required anyhow.

I was in Brendan Byrne State Forest (Burlington County) on Friday, and Ramapo Mountain State Forest (Bergen County) today.  The difference in leaf out is remarkable.  Just comparing the White Oaks, the trees in Brendan Byrne are weeks behind the trees in Ramapo Mountain.

I was in Brendan Byrne State Forest (Burlington County) on Friday, and Ramapo Mountain State Forest (Bergen County) today.  The difference in leaf out is remarkable.  Just comparing the White Oaks, the trees in Brendan Byrne are weeks behind the trees in Ramapo Mountain.

We've seen countless radiational cooling nights late April, moreso than usual. Probably a 10-15 degree difference in overnight lows given the UHI effect in Bergen County.

We've seen countless radiational cooling nights late April, moreso than usual. Probably a 10-15 degree difference in overnight lows given the UHI effect in Bergen County.

Eh, I'm not sure I'd count Ramapo State Forest as being in the UHI...

Lows could be warmer in Ramapo, but probably not because of UHI...

post-39-0-37343100-1368410757_thumb.png

post-39-0-06975400-1368410771_thumb.png

Eh, I'm not sure I'd count Ramapo State Forest as being in the UHI...

Yeah, they're farther from NYC than I thought. What do you think the cause is for the leaf out difference? If the tree species is identical, it must be overnight lows.

Yeah, they're farther from NYC than I thought. What do you think the cause is for the leaf out difference? If the tree species is identical, it must be overnight lows.

Could be an elevation based thing, i.e. what we call "midslope warmth" out west.  Or just the exceptional radiational cooling in the Pine Barrens trumping everything else.

40.6 here on my last morning in NJ.

The cool March and normal April have definitely yielded a bit later finish to the leaf out season at least in Monmouth County. We still have red oaks really blooming when they're usually done by May 10th or so. The locusts are still coming out, as well as dogwoods I believe. It more or less looks like summer though.

Archived