amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
February 25-27 Winter Storm Part 2

Chicago Storm

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RGEM and Ukie would be fitting for the QC.  Wouldn't be surprised at all to see that verify.  NAM has been garbage with the last several systems around here.  GFS still delivers 3-6".  My original pessimistic call of 1-3" may have been the right call after all.  If the Euro goes southeast I'm logging off this site for a long time.  You won't want me on here after that lol...

Haha, sure... you'd be back in under a week!

The SREF is fitting for you too!

Fun progression of p-types for sure. Even get a little of what we know.

I guess it's not entirely inconceivable that we fight the transition to rain for a while. Even after sfc temps get above freezing by mid-late morning, there is a layer a little above the surface that hangs right around 0C which might be good enough to mix in some pellets especially during any heavier bursts of precip. It will be interesting to watch the precip type progression if nothing else.

For what it's worth...0z GFS has 12+ inches from Hamilton into Niagara region with 8-12 inches for much of Southern Ontario . Seems overdone but one has to wonder if this southward trend in 0z model runs may verify.

Yeah. Hard to tell where the heaviest snow would be around here. NAM is pretty far north and is almost a complete miss for Hamilton but every other model is south so I'm not too confident about that. I'd still feel a lot safer being closer to, say, Guelph or Cambridge. It'll be tight.

I guess it's not entirely inconceivable that we fight the transition to rain for a while. Even after sfc temps get above freezing by mid-late morning, there is a layer a little above the surface that hangs right around 0C which might be good enough to mix in some pellets especially during any heavier bursts of precip. It will be interesting to watch the precip type progression if nothing else.

Another nail biter for nothing amounting to much for LAF. Woo!

There's a good reason why BowMe and I drink. Him for the opposite side of the coin.

RGEM and Ukie would be fitting for the QC.  Wouldn't be surprised at all to see that verify.  NAM has been garbage with the last several systems around here.  GFS still delivers 3-6".  My original pessimistic call of 1-3" may have been the right call after all.  If the Euro goes southeast I'm logging off this site for a long time.  You won't want me on here after that lol...

Sounds like a similar situation to here, though your boom potential may be higher.

Yeah. Hard to tell where the heaviest snow would be around here. NAM is pretty far north and is almost a complete miss for Hamilton but every other model is south so I'm not too confident about that. I'd still feel a lot safer being closer to, say, Guelph or Cambridge. It'll be tight.

Will be really close. If we do manage to stay all snow we could see some pretty good totals as many models show the most QPF around our area. Backed up by HPC as well

post-6756-0-10890900-1361769408_thumb.jp

To keep it short and sweet, regarding the watch issuance, myself and the other evening shift were both opposed to issuing a watch for all the reasons that Gino listed here earlier, but our hand was basically forced by MKX hoisting a watch up against us. Even had a preliminary AFD written as to why I wasn't going to issue a watch. 

To keep it short and sweet, regarding the watch issuance, myself and the other evening shift were both opposed to issuing a watch for all the reasons that Gino listed here earlier, but our hand was basically forced by MKX hoisting a watch up against us. Even had a preliminary AFD written as to why I wasn't going to issue a watch. 

But what if your office was right in not issuing a watch and scored a coup when the other offices took theirs down or ended up downgrading to an advisory?

But what if your office was right in not issuing a watch and scored a coup when the other offices took theirs down or ended up downgrading to an advisory?

But but but but, it doesn't matter one bit.

That's the point of watches. Its acceptable and pretty common to transition to an advisory after a watch. This storm at worst is going to have an advisory level impact so the Watches are perfectly fine.. 

It's the NOGAPs.  Of course, on the flip side, the JMA is in more of the Euro/NAM camp. :weenie:

oh, ok. Thought I heard it has a se bias and when its NW its a red flag or something.. f if i know what i'm talking about or remember reading    After the 00z models Weenie thinking has one to believe the euro looks like last night at best up here.

But but but but, it doesn't matter one bit.

That's the point of watches. Its acceptable and pretty common to transition to an advisory after a watch. This storm at worst is going to have an advisory level impact so the Watches are perfectly fine.. 

I have no problem with them sneaking a watch in before the  sunday 10pm news.  Won't be the first or last time a watch bust or it turns in to the common advisory.

Archived