• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
February 25-27 Winter Storm Part 2

Chicago Storm

I've seen nice fat flakes falling at a good rate not accumulate one bit because of warm surface temps.  I'm concerned about mixing but sub 5:1 ratios is a greater concern.  Unless the wettest models verfiy...this has major bust potential.

This storm has such a big bust potential... it's unreal.

Has anyone looked at the 12z WRF?? Not good... that's all I'm going to say.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DVN has a good overnight AFD, a must read IMO. Even throwing out the word "bust" in response to where this thing eventually sets up.

THE SITUATION IS THIS...THE POTENTIAL FOR THE EVENT TO BUST IS   GROWING RAPIDLY...BUT UNTIL WE KNOW THE EVOLUTION OF THIS SYSTEM FOR   CERTAIN...WE CANNOT RULE OUT...OR EVEN GREATLY DIMINISH THE   POTENTIAL FOR A HEAVY WET SNOW EVENT...ESPECIALLY IN THE SOUTHEAST   1/2 OF THE CWA. SOMETIMES THERE IS NO CORRELATION BETWEEN AN EVENTS   POTENTIAL SIGNIFICANCE...AND THE CONFIDENCE THAT IT WILL OCCUR. A   WATCH CONTINUES TO BE THE BEST PRODUCT TO REPRESENT THIS EVENT FOR   TUESDAY AND TUESDAY NIGHT. 

The people at the DVN NWS must be pulling their hair out.  I'm not sure if I'll see any snow from this lol.

Of all the models that will make me worry, the RGEM and a miss south just isn't going to cut it.  I'm shook but not that shook

Yeah, I wouldn't get shook at all to what it says. Just another solution.

12z NAM looks like it'll continue its northwest look...so probably good for the DVN and WI folks.

Temp issues are the thing, even if snow is the predominant precipitation type. I'd lean lower because of that, no doubt about it. But like you said, intensity will be critical. Hopefully there are some good surprises in store for some, because there'll most likely be some bad surprises for a few. 

The euro staying wet is the curveball...I really want to ride the GFS as it has been drier and more realistic with bands here all winter. And even the wet NAM is only 3-4" or so if you exclude the wraparound which is a lock not to stick.  LOT seems to have a good handle and will probably flip to a WWA this afternoon.

12z NAM coming in warmer

RPM model showing a 7"+ on this morning's WGN news.

Not buying it.

I would bet, area wide, snow totals are from 2.5 to 3" with some areas maybe getting close to 4.  Temps are just way too marginal for this to be any more than a rain-to-snow-to-rain event.  I would not be at all surprised if the rain wins out in some areas around here.

Archived