• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Early March threats - Mar 1st-8th Period

free_man

My gut says keep the snow shovel out, that is a decent block, climo has me spooked and says this thing should deliver a bomb to sne.

Perhaps a compromise is in order?  Or perhaps it's another blizzard, just not feeling a complete miss at all right now no matter how badly I want to start my clean ups next week.

It's coming

I thought you still had snow on the ground???? 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How come you're going with a miss?

Well if I put up a 7 day forecast I would go with a near miss. I'm still being a sloth and haven't looked at anything in detail so I'm not commenting too much. It comes down to phasing and I don't know if we can do it in a timely manner. I'll look more.

Well if I put up a 7 day forecast I would go with a near miss. I'm still being a sloth and haven't looked at anything in detail so I'm not commenting too much. It comes down to phasing and I don't know if we can do it in a timely manner. I'll look more.

Look for positives..reasons why it can and will happen. i don't want to hear why it won't.

LOL you need to be realistic too. We all want it, but can't always have every storm. When all guidance misses 5 days out...pretty good consensus.

Maybe..I just have a hard time believing it doesn't come north to some degree. it's not an epic block like 2010 was  and it's late in the season. I'm not saying KU..but I don't see why we can't get a decent snowfall

Maybe..I just have a hard time believing it doesn't come north to some degree. it's not an epic block like 2010 was and it's late in the season. I'm not saying KU..but I don't see why we can't get a decent snowfall

Yeah that's possible too. I dunno...I sort of see this as a big hit or nothing. Weak precip rates won't do anything for us...even higher elevations. You can't write anything off 5 days out...and it won't take much to bring it north so there is hope. Realistically just not sure its a big hit.

well Kevin if you are looking for positives the 3rd analog on the list is 03/03/94

A strong low pressure system moving to the northeast over the ocean from the Delmarva Peninsula and passing to the southeast of Cape Cod resulted in a strong nor'easter with heavy snow and blowing and drifting snow, except over the southeast portion of the state. Snowfall amounts of 6 to 15 inches fell from the Boston metro area west and north. Over southeast Massachusetts there was three to six inches of snow before a change to rain. Less than three inches fell over Cape Cod and the Islands. Worcester reported a total of 14.8 inches when light snow ended on March 4th. The total for the season there reached 88.0 inches. The National Weather Service at Boston's Logan International Airport measured 7.8 inches bringing the seasonal snowfall total to 89.3 inches and establishing a new record for any season since records began in 1891-92. The old record was 89.2 inches in 1947-48. Strong to gale force northeast winds accompanied this storm with gusts to 40 to 60 mph and piled up snow in two to three foot drifts, especially in central Massachusetts. In Marlboro, a 60- by 100-foot section of roof collapsed at an automobile dealership. Most fortunately, this occurred at 0430 EST on the morning of March 4th, when nobody was in the building. Damage was estimated at $500,000. Schools and businesses were closed and highway travel severely disrupted by this storm.

I remember that storm. We changed to rain but had no school.

this seems more likely to me, not SE winds though

MA 19980128/2200 STRONG WINDS WFO: BOX

A large and powerful slow moving ocean storm passing across the Atlantic Ocean to the south of Cape Cod brought strong southeast winds to southeastern Massachusetts, with high tides and beach erosion affecting north and east facing coastal areas. The strong northeast winds before high tide piled water toward shore and combined with astronomically high tides to produce coastal flooding. Some peak wind gusts reported late on January 28th included: Buzzards Bay Buoy, 52 mph at 5 PM; Boston Buoy, 45 mph at 9 PM and midnight. Some peak wind gusts reported during the morning of January 29th included: Nantucket, 53 mph at 1:15 AM; Bourne, 52 mph at 2 AM; Dennis, 46 mph; and Martha's Vineyard, 45 mph. Coastal flooding was reported along the coast south of Boston at Hull and Scituate, where shore roads were closed because crashing waves sent rocks and other debris over sea walls. The tide in Scituate was reported to be about 3 feet above normal. An 80-foot section of the most vulnerable sea wall in Scituate collapsed in the aftermath of the storm, on the tide following the noon high tide on January 29th. This left a section of one coastal road completely (but temporarily) unprotected. Farther south along the coast of Marshfield, in the Brant Rock section, the surf washed over cars parked near a pier and flooded several streets. On Cape Cod, three dozen dolphins died after being stranded on Cape beaches by the high tide. On Nantucket Island, Pebble Beach parking lot was relocated due to erosion and high tide was reported to be 2.5 feet above normal. On Martha's Vineyard, flooding was reported at Edgartown and at several other points along the coast. In the Boston area, high tides forced the closing of several coastal roads to the north and south of the city. Roads were closed for about one hour around the time of the noon high tide. However, in Winthrop, one coastal causeway was closed for two hours.

I just mentioned why. The only way it comes north without phasing is to have the ULL itself move north which may be difficult.

Just read one of your posts in the MA if Zwyts and Ian get to be Mets so do I. Matts a lawyer and Ian a journalist, both excellent hobbyists and very knowledgeable but not College trained and degreed.

Just read one of your posts in the MA if Zwyts and Ian get to be Mets so do I. Matts a lawyer and Ian a journalist, both excellent hobbyists and very knowledgeable but not College trained and degreed.

They probably know more about the climo there then most mets there. Zwyts knows his shiat.

Archived