Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Feb. 18/19th Winter Weather Disc./Obs.

WilkesboroDude

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This has been explained on here before but here it is again.

Buncombe County is shadowed by 5k+ foot mountains to your west, north and east.  Asheville northward up the valley is the driest part of all of NC and you can thank the mountains for that.   I learned this quickly when I went to school there back in the early 90's.  We would be under a winter storm warning and end up with flurries.  Then I take a drive west to Balsam Gap in Waynesvilles and 6" would be on the gound.  Saw stuff like this many times.  Of course Asheville was clocked in the blizzard of 93 thanks to a nice moisture feed from the south.

It's just the way it is in Asheville.

so what you guys are saying the only way to mostly overcome this is to have a moisture feed from the south such as a low out of the gulf of mexico.  in years past we have done ok with down slope events.  at times a couple of inches

so what you guys are saying the only way to mostly overcome this is to have a moisture feed from the south such as a low out of the gulf of mexico.  in years past we have done ok with down slope events.  at times a couple of inches

The main point is that AVL gets the shaft a lot so you shouldn't be surprised when forecasts come out showing pretty much all areas surrounding AVL to get more.  That's all.  Ed Brotak my professor at UNC-Asheville used to drill in us that the only way for AVL to get heavy snow was with a weak moist flow from the south.  Of course it can happen in other situations but the shaft factor comes into play more because of the potential shadowing.

Our big snows come from Gulf lows. The extreme N part of the county does fairly well with NWFS. Phased systems can be big winners (Xmas 2010) but we all know how often they win. It is what it is, but if you want to look at the glass half full compare the city or even the airports yearly snow avg to most of the SE members & we do ok.

The main point is that AVL gets the shaft a lot so you shouldn't be surprised when forecasts come out showing pretty much all areas surrounding AVL to get more. That's all. Ed Brotak my professor at UNC-Asheville used to drill in us that the only way for AVL to get heavy snow was with a weak moist flow from the south. Of course it can happen in other situations but the shaft factor comes into play more because of the potential shadowing.

I think with a strong miller a and se flow Asheville would do good.

terrain mainly. being close to NW facing slopes is crucial to squeeze out even a light amount. Too much "open valley" from the TN line into the valley. You know buncombe is the driest county in the state, while Trannsylvania is the wettest. Downsloping plays a major role in this stat. Beat me to the punck Franklin Wx, lol.

I would have never guessed that about Buncombe, but based on geography, it does make sense....constant rain shadow- similar to a place I lived in SW Colorado (Gunnison)  It is surrounded N,S,E, and W by 12-14K foot mountains (S- San Juans, W- West Elk, N-East River, E- Cont. Divide)- only time we would get good snow was with a weak northerly wind; we average 55" of snow per year; Crested Butte (20 mi N and up 1000 feet) 250 inches  

The main point is that AVL gets the shaft a lot so you shouldn't be surprised when forecasts come out showing pretty much all areas surrounding AVL to get more.  That's all.  Ed Brotak my professor at UNC-Asheville used to drill in us that the only way for AVL to get heavy snow was with a weak moist flow from the south.  Of course it can happen in other situations but the shaft factor comes into play more because of the potential shadowing.

But regardless, Asheville averages between 13 and 15 inches of snow per year depending on what source you use, which is more than any large city in the state.... and the last 2 winters have been basically snowless. So, despite the fact that Asheville is one of the dryest areas of the state, we still, on average, should get more snow than most parts of the state.... and we have had no problem getting hammered with big rain events this winter. 

and here are the last several winters before the last years trace winter and this years trace(so far) winter.

00/01- 15.5   01/02- 1.6   02/03- 17.9  03/03- 14.3   04/05- 6.6   05/06-  1.4  06/07- 3.2   07/08- 3.8   08/09- 6.1  09/10- 39.2   10/11- 20.2

So, getting no snow whatsoever is not normal.

Also, the stretch of winter between '58 and 83 just had 6 single digit seasons with a 40, 48, and a 31 inch season in there.

But regardless, Asheville averages between 13 and 15 inches of snow per year depending on what source you use, which is more than any large city in the state.... and the last 2 winters have been basically snowless. So, despite the fact that Asheville is one of the dryest areas of the state, we still, on average, should get more snow than most parts of the state.... and we have had no problem getting hammered with big rain events this winter. 

The overall pattern over the past 2 winters has been terrible for wintry weather for the SE forum...so, folks getting more snow than Asheville when they shouldn't climo-wise is as much attributed to randomness as anything else.

Here are the 2m temps at onset of precipitation from the 12Z ECMWF.  It looks like basically all of NC is freezing at the surface.  Ergo, even if 850s aren't ideal for snow in the foothills/piedmont, we should still be looking at a brief period of freezing rain and/or sleet.

post-4420-0-66888200-1361217358_thumb.pn

Here's the associated modeled precipitation at the same time.  There's not a lot of precipitation there, but I see wintry potential out of this.

post-4420-0-25099000-1361217359_thumb.pn

I have a feeling a different afternoon/night shift at Blacksburg will take an ax to the accumulation map for Surry/Wilkes..SURRY-WILKES740 AM EST MON FEB 18 2013HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK...A BRIEF PERIOD OF FREEZING RAIN...SLEET...AND SNOW WILL BEPOSSIBLE EARLY TUESDAY. NO SIGNIFICANT ACCUMULATION OF ICE OR SNOWIS EXPECTED AT THIS TIME.

- I have class at 8am so maybe things will be melted/washed away before sunrise. 

GSP's afternoon disco.  We know the mountains are going to get some snow.  The interesting part to me is the tail end of this quote.  Caldwell and Alexander counties?  Maybe...

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH TUESDAY/...A POTENT SOUTHERN STREAM SHORT WAVE TROUGH WAS LOCATED OVER THE SRNPLAINS DURING THE MID-AFTERNOON HOURS MONDAY. THE TROUGH WILL LIFTTO THE NORTHEAST OVERNIGHT...MERGING WITH NRN STREAM ENERGY TODEVELOP A STRONG H5 CLOSED LOW OVER THE GREAT LAKES STATES BYTUESDAY AFTERNOON. WHILE WE NEVER COME UNDER PARTICULARLY STRONGUPPER FORCING...A 60KT LOW LEVEL JET...ORIENTED FROM THE SOUTHSOUTHWEST...WILL CROSS THE REGION BETWEEN ABOUT 8-14 UTC TUESDAY.BOTH THE NAM AND GFS HAVE STRONG LLVL ISENTROPIC UPGLIDE AS THE JETCROSSES THE FORECAST AREA. THIS YIELDS ANYWHERE FROM ABOUT 0.25 TO0.40 TENTHS OF AN INCH OF LIQUID QPF...ESPECIALLY OVER THE SOUTHWESTMOUNTAINS WHERE UPSLOPE WILL ENHANCE PCPN AMOUNTS. SOME OF THELIGHTEST TOTALS SHOULD FALL ACROSS THE CENTRAL AND SRN FRENCH BROADVALLEY WHERE DOWNSLOPE OFF OF THE BALSAMS WILL RESULT IN APRONOUNCED PRECIPITATION SHADOW.TO GENERATE OUR WEATHER GRIDS I USED A TOOL THAT USES THE TOP DOWNMETHOD TO GENERATE PCPN TYPE. IN THIS CASE I RAN THE TOOL USING A50/50 BLEND OF THE NAM AND THE SLIGHTLY WARMER GFS. THE RESULTS WEREQUITE INTERESTING AS HIGHER ELEVATIONS OF THE SOUTHWEST AND CENTRALMOUNTAINS...PARTICULARLY THE BALSAMS...SEE MOSTLY SNOW FOR THEEVENT. POINT MODEL SOUNDINGS BEAR THIS OUT AS WELL. THE PREVIOUSSHIFT GOT SIMILAR RESULTS...AND I/LL KEEP THE WINTER WX ADVISORYWHERE IT HAS ALREADY BEEN ISSUED. A FEW SPOTS IN EASTERN MACONCOUNTY...NE RABUN AND SRN JACKSON HAVE NEARLY 4 INCHES OF SNOW.HOWEVER...THESE AREAS COVER TOO SMALL A GEOGRAPHIC AREA FOR ME TOISSUE A WARNING. THE PCPN SHADOW WILL HOLD DOWN AMOUNTS ACROSS THEFRENCH BROAD. HOWEVER...SLIGHT DOWNSLOPE WARMING MAY RESULT IN APERIOD OF FREEZING RAIN IF SFC TEMPS CAN WET BULB DOWN TO FREEZING.THAT/S A BIG IF...BUT WITH HIGHER ELEVATIONS SEEING AN INCH OR TWOOF SNOW AND THE RISK FOR FREEZING RAIN IN VALLEYS...I/VE INCLUDEDTHE FRENCH BROAD VALLEY COUNTIES IN THE ADVISORY AS WELL...INCLUDINGBUNCOMBE.THE NORTHERN MOUNTAINS WILL SEE MORE PCPN THAN THE FRENCHBROAD...AND I HAVE 1 TO 2 INCHES OF SNOW AND A GOOD GLAZE OF ICE INMANY SPOTS FOR THOSE ZONES. AGAIN...WITH THE LIGHT FREEZING RAINPOTENTIAL A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IS WARRANTED NO MATTERWHAT...BUT A FEW SPOTS MAY ALSO APPROACH ADVISORY SNOW CRITERIA OF 2INCHES IN THE NRN MTNS AND ADJACENT ERN SLOPES OF THE BLUE RIDGE.THE AIRMASS JUST LOOKS TOO WARM FOR MUCH EXCITEMENT OUT ACROSS THEFOOTHILLS AND PIEDMONT....THOUGH PCPN COULD START AS A PERIOD OFSNOW OR SLEET IN MANY SPOTS ACROSS WRN NC BEFORE CHANGING OVER TORAIN. THE EXCEPTION TO THIS...HOWEVER...MAY BE PARTS OF CALDWELL ANDALEXANDER COUNTIES WHICH SEE A MUCH WEAKER WARM NOSE. FOR NOW I/MLEAVING THEM OUT OF AN ADVISORY.

Someone is showing the love for Jackson Co... SW Special!

They must hate Asheville by looking at the map. 

GSP's afternoon disco.  We know the mountains are going to get some snow.  The interesting part to me is the tail end of this quote.  Caldwell and Alexander counties?  Maybe...

Interesting find man thanks. Means something for me and Frosty perhaps. 

Greenville is not the brightest of them all...will certainly go with Blacksburg when it comes to winter weather.

Greenville goes on to say "LIGHT FREEZING RAIN POTENTIAL A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IS WARRANTED NO MATTER WHAT"...well that makes little sense to hold off Caldwell/Alexander then of course...snow/sleet criteria won't be met there most likely but one would think they would transition to some light freezing rain.

looks like the western half of transylvania and all of jackson are going to do fairly well with this system.

looks like the heaviest precip could fall as snow before we hear some pingers bouncing of the windows. Looks like it should end as light rain tho. Should get to see some moderate snow for a few hours. Big flake potential!

Someone is showing the love for Jackson Co... SW Special!

attachicon.gifStormTotalSnowFcst.png

Ya Jackson always does well with these southern stroms when the temp is right.

SWAIN-HAYWOOD-GRAHAM-NORTHERN JACKSON-MACON-SOUTHERN JACKSON-

TRANSYLVANIA-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...BRYSON CITY...WAYNESVILLE...SYLVA...

FRANKLIN...BREVARD,  RABUN-AVERY-MADISON-YANCEY-MITCHELL-BUNCOMBE-HENDERSON-

CALDWELL MOUNTAINS-BURKE MOUNTAINS-MCDOWELL MOUNTAINS-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...CLAYTON...NEWLAND...SPRUCE PINE...

ASHEVILLE...HENDERSONVILLE

259 PM EST MON FEB 18 2013,ASHE-ALLEGHANY NC-WATAUGA-TAZEWELL-SMYTH-BLAND-GILES-WYTHE-

PULASKI-MONTGOMERY-GRAYSON-CARROLL-FLOYD-CRAIG-ALLEGHANY VA-BATH-

ROANOKE-BOTETOURT-ROCKBRIDGE-MERCER-SUMMERS-MONROE-GREENBRIER-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...WEST JEFFERSON...SPARTA...BOONE...

TAZEWELL...MARION...BLAND...PEARISBURG...WYTHEVILLE...RADFORD...

PULASKI...BLACKSBURG...INDEPENDENCE...WHITETOP...TROUTDALE...

VOLNEY...GALAX...FLOYD...NEW CASTLE...CLIFTON FORGE...COVINGTON...

HOT SPRINGS...ROANOKE...SALEM...FINCASTLE...LEXINGTON...

BUENA VISTA...BLUEFIELD...HINTON...HIX...UNION...LEWISBURG...

QUINWOOD...DUO...RAINELLE

Here are all the counties from North GA up through WNC in the Advisory.

GSP's afternoon disco. We know the mountains are going to get some snow. The interesting part to me is the tail end of this quote. Caldwell and Alexander counties? Maybe...

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH TUESDAY/...
A POTENT SOUTHERN STREAM SHORT WAVE TROUGH WAS LOCATED OVER THE SRN
PLAINS DURING THE MID-AFTERNOON HOURS MONDAY. THE TROUGH WILL LIFT
TO THE NORTHEAST OVERNIGHT...MERGING WITH NRN STREAM ENERGY TO
DEVELOP A STRONG H5 CLOSED LOW OVER THE GREAT LAKES STATES BY
TUESDAY AFTERNOON. WHILE WE NEVER COME UNDER PARTICULARLY STRONG
UPPER FORCING...A 60KT LOW LEVEL JET...ORIENTED FROM THE SOUTH
SOUTHWEST...WILL CROSS THE REGION BETWEEN ABOUT 8-14 UTC TUESDAY.
BOTH THE NAM AND GFS HAVE STRONG LLVL ISENTROPIC UPGLIDE AS THE JET
CROSSES THE FORECAST AREA. THIS YIELDS ANYWHERE FROM ABOUT 0.25 TO
0.40 TENTHS OF AN INCH OF LIQUID QPF...ESPECIALLY OVER THE SOUTHWEST
MOUNTAINS WHERE UPSLOPE WILL ENHANCE PCPN AMOUNTS. SOME OF THE
LIGHTEST TOTALS SHOULD FALL ACROSS THE CENTRAL AND SRN FRENCH BROAD
VALLEY WHERE DOWNSLOPE OFF OF THE BALSAMS WILL RESULT IN A
PRONOUNCED PRECIPITATION SHADOW.

TO GENERATE OUR WEATHER GRIDS I USED A TOOL THAT USES THE TOP DOWN
METHOD TO GENERATE PCPN TYPE. IN THIS CASE I RAN THE TOOL USING A
50/50 BLEND OF THE NAM AND THE SLIGHTLY WARMER GFS. THE RESULTS WERE
QUITE INTERESTING AS HIGHER ELEVATIONS OF THE SOUTHWEST AND CENTRAL
MOUNTAINS...PARTICULARLY THE BALSAMS...SEE MOSTLY SNOW FOR THE
EVENT. POINT MODEL SOUNDINGS BEAR THIS OUT AS WELL. THE PREVIOUS
SHIFT GOT SIMILAR RESULTS...AND I/LL KEEP THE WINTER WX ADVISORY
WHERE IT HAS ALREADY BEEN ISSUED. A FEW SPOTS IN EASTERN MACON
COUNTY...NE RABUN AND SRN JACKSON HAVE NEARLY 4 INCHES OF SNOW.
HOWEVER...THESE AREAS COVER TOO SMALL A GEOGRAPHIC AREA FOR ME TO
ISSUE A WARNING. THE PCPN SHADOW WILL HOLD DOWN AMOUNTS ACROSS THE
FRENCH BROAD. HOWEVER...SLIGHT DOWNSLOPE WARMING MAY RESULT IN A
PERIOD OF FREEZING RAIN IF SFC TEMPS CAN WET BULB DOWN TO FREEZING.
THAT/S A BIG IF...BUT WITH HIGHER ELEVATIONS SEEING AN INCH OR TWO
OF SNOW AND THE RISK FOR FREEZING RAIN IN VALLEYS...I/VE INCLUDED
THE FRENCH BROAD VALLEY COUNTIES IN THE ADVISORY AS WELL...INCLUDING
BUNCOMBE.

THE NORTHERN MOUNTAINS WILL SEE MORE PCPN THAN THE FRENCH
BROAD...AND I HAVE 1 TO 2 INCHES OF SNOW AND A GOOD GLAZE OF ICE IN
MANY SPOTS FOR THOSE ZONES. AGAIN...WITH THE LIGHT FREEZING RAIN
POTENTIAL A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IS WARRANTED NO MATTER
WHAT...BUT A FEW SPOTS MAY ALSO APPROACH ADVISORY SNOW CRITERIA OF 2
INCHES IN THE NRN MTNS AND ADJACENT ERN SLOPES OF THE BLUE RIDGE.
THE AIRMASS JUST LOOKS TOO WARM FOR MUCH EXCITEMENT OUT ACROSS THE
FOOTHILLS AND PIEDMONT....THOUGH PCPN COULD START AS A PERIOD OF
SNOW OR SLEET IN MANY SPOTS ACROSS WRN NC BEFORE CHANGING OVER TO
RAIN. THE EXCEPTION TO THIS...HOWEVER...MAY BE PARTS OF CALDWELL AND
ALEXANDER COUNTIES WHICH SEE A MUCH WEAKER WARM NOSE. FOR NOW I/M
LEAVING THEM OUT OF AN ADVISORY.
the warmer gfs just came in much colder for this event. Mostly a snow sounding until the very end.

Archived