Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Feb. 18/19th Winter Weather Disc./Obs.

WilkesboroDude

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

is Buncombe County always a no snow zone anymore. I don't quite understand, every time there is a chance of snow its all around Buncombe or its everybody 2-3 inches and Buncombe a trace. this one has me puzzled.

the bulk of the precip will fall from the balsams on west. Buncombe counth is the driest part of the state. In situations like this the mtns of sw nc will eat up most of the moisture.

terrain mainly. being close to NW facing slopes is crucial to squeeze out even a light amount. Too much "open valley" from the TN line into the valley. You know buncombe is the driest county in the state, while Trannsylvania is the wettest. Downsloping plays a major role in this stat. Beat me to the punck Franklin Wx, lol.

terrain mainly. being close to NW facing slopes is crucial to squeeze out even a light amount. Too much "open valley" from the TN line into the valley. You know buncombe is the driest county in the state, while Trannsylvania is the wettest. Downsloping plays a major role in this stat. Beat me to the punck Franklin Wx, lol.

this is why I love over running events that move in from a southwest trajectory. The southwest mtns as the warm air upslopes the higher terrain really enhance qpf totals.

how do your soundings look? I think Rosie can squeeze out an inch before a change

The 12z NAM looks very borderline for a brief snow period IMBY around 8 or 9z.  Very thin line so it wouldn't likely pan out IMBY.  I agree with what you have been thinking for up in your neck of the woods.  Quick brust of snow for an hour or two.  Bummer thing is it likely to happen at 3-4am.

I do think Rosie has a better chance than I do on her side of the chain.

NWS is feeling pretty good about this.

SWAIN-HAYWOOD-GRAHAM-NORTHERN JACKSON-MACON-SOUTHERN JACKSON-TRANSYLVANIA-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...BRYSON CITY...WAYNESVILLE...SYLVA...FRANKLIN...BREVARD411 AM EST MON FEB 18 2013...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO10 AM EST TUESDAY...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG HAS ISSUEDA WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW AND ICE...WHICH IS IN EFFECTFROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 10 AM EST TUESDAY.* LOCATIONS...THE MOUNTAINS OF NORTH CAROLINA...ROUGHLY SOUTHWEST  OF A LINE FROM WAYNESVILLE TO BREVARD.* HAZARDS...SLIPPERY ROADS AND SIDEWALKS DUE TO A MIXTURE OF  SNOW...SLEET...AND FREEZING RAIN.* TIMING...LIGHT WINTRY MIX WILL BEGIN AROUND MIDNIGHT  TONIGHT...CHANGING TO MOSTLY SNOW FOR A TIME OVERNIGHT AND THEN  BECOMING SLEET OR FREEZING RAIN AROUND DAYBREAK TUESDAY. THE  PRECIPITATION WILL CHANGE TO RAIN BY MID-MORNING BEFORE ENDING  IN THE AFTERNOON.* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 1 TO 3 INCHES...ALONG WITH  UP TO A TENTH OF AN INCH OF ICE.* IMPACTS...SNOWY OR ICY ROADS WILL CAUSE HAZARDOUS TRAVEL  CONDITIONS DURING THE TUESDAY MORNING RUSH HOUR.* TEMPERATURES...IN THE UPPER 20S AND LOWER 30S.* WINDS...SOUTH 10 TO 20 MPH WITH GUSTS GENERALLY UP TO 35 MPH.  WIND GUSTS AS STRONG AS 50 MPH MAY OCCUR AT HIGHER ELEVATIONS.

Also an advisory for the northern counties for pretty much the same thing.

ASHE-ALLEGHANY NC-WATAUGA-TAZEWELL-SMYTH-BLAND-GILES-WYTHE-PULASKI-MONTGOMERY-GRAYSON-CARROLL-FLOYD-CRAIG-ALLEGHANY VA-BATH-ROANOKE-BOTETOURT-ROCKBRIDGE-MERCER-SUMMERS-MONROE-GREENBRIER-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...WEST JEFFERSON...SPARTA...BOONE...TAZEWELL...MARION...BLAND...PEARISBURG...WYTHEVILLE...RADFORD...PULASKI...BLACKSBURG...INDEPENDENCE...WHITETOP...TROUTDALE...VOLNEY...GALAX...FLOYD...NEW CASTLE...CLIFTON FORGE...COVINGTON...HOT SPRINGS...ROANOKE...SALEM...FINCASTLE...LEXINGTON...BUENA VISTA...BLUEFIELD...HINTON...HIX...UNION...LEWISBURG...QUINWOOD...DUO...RAINELLE

is Buncombe County always a no snow zone anymore.  I don't quite understand, every time there is a chance of snow its all around Buncombe or its everybody 2-3 inches and Buncombe a trace.  this one has me puzzled.

.SHORT TERM /6 PM THIS EVENING THROUGH WEDNESDAY NIGHT/...

AS OF EARLY MONDAY MORNING...MODEL GUIDANCE IN PRETTY CLOSE AGREEMENT

WITH TIMING OF COLD FROPA LATE TONIGHT AND TOMORROW. SOUTHERLY LOW

LEVEL FLOW AHEAD OF THE FRONT WILL PROVIDE BETTER FORCING THAN THAT

FROM FRONTOGENESIS/COLD ADVECTION. PARTIAL THICKNESSES STILL

SUGGESTIVE OF MIXED PRECIP AT ONSET OF EVENT AND WITH THE SOUTHERLY

FLOW COMES WARMING TEMPS IN THE 750-850MB LAYER BEFORE DAYBREAK TUE.

THIS PROVIDES THE WARM NOSE THAT WILL LARGELY DETERMINE PRECIP TYPE.

ICE NUCLEI LOOK TO BE PLENTIFUL DURING THE EARLY PART OF THE

EVENT...WITH DEEP SATURATION OCCURRING JUST AHEAD OF THE SFC FRONT.

WITH THE WARM NOSE IN PLACE THIS MEANS ANY PTYPE COULD RESULT. RAN

TOP DOWN TECHNIQUE USING NAM INPUT GRIDS WHICH GIVES INITIALLY MOSTLY

SNOW IN THE MOUNTAINS...MIXING TO OR CHANGING TO SLEET FOR A TIME

BEFORE SOME SITES CHANGE TO FREEZING RAIN AS THE WARM LAYER

STRENGTHENS TO ALLOW TOTAL MELTING. FORTUNATELY BY THE TIME THE BULK

OF THE PRECIP ARRIVES MID-MORNING SFC TEMPS WILL HAVE WARMED TOO

AND EVERYTHING SHOULD CHANGE TO RAIN.

THIS EVENT LOOKS TO HAVE FAIRLY LOW QPF DUE TO THE FAST SPEED OF THE

FRONT THROUGH THE REGION AS WELL AS THE LACK OF GOOD UPPER LEVEL

SUPPORT EXCEPT FOR SOME UPPER DIVERGENCE IN THE EXIT REGION OF THE

TROUGH. FOLLOWED MODIFIED 21Z SREF POPS...WITH HIGH PROBABILITIES OF

0.10 TO 0.25 INCHES IN THE SW MTNS AND ALSO NORTH OF THE FRENCH BROAD

VALLEY. PARTLY GIVEN THE MIXY NATURE OF THE PRECIP TYPE AS WELL AS

THE WARMING MID-MORNING...AND ADVY PROBABLY IS NOT NEEDED IN THE NRN

ZONES. DUE TO POTENTIAL HIGH IMPACT WILL MENTION IN HWO AND PERHAPS

AN SPS. IN THE SOUTHWEST CONFIDENCE IS HIGHER WITH THE EARLIER PRECIP

ONSET AND POTENTIAL ENHANCEMENT DUE TO SOUTHERLY FLOW. WILL GO ADVY

THERE.

With all the responses being said......It has been 2 rough winters in a row for Buncombe county!

Also an advisory for the northern counties for pretty much the same thing.

ASHE-ALLEGHANY NC-WATAUGA-TAZEWELL-SMYTH-BLAND-GILES-WYTHE-
PULASKI-MONTGOMERY-GRAYSON-CARROLL-FLOYD-CRAIG-ALLEGHANY VA-BATH-
ROANOKE-BOTETOURT-ROCKBRIDGE-MERCER-SUMMERS-MONROE-GREENBRIER-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...WEST JEFFERSON...SPARTA...BOONE...
TAZEWELL...MARION...BLAND...PEARISBURG...WYTHEVILLE...RADFORD...
PULASKI...BLACKSBURG...INDEPENDENCE...WHITETOP...TROUTDALE...
VOLNEY...GALAX...FLOYD...NEW CASTLE...CLIFTON FORGE...COVINGTON...
HOT SPRINGS...ROANOKE...SALEM...FINCASTLE...LE
QUINWOOD...DUO...RAINELLE
Its snows in your area with every system that passes by. How much are at for the season?

The 12z NAM looks very borderline for a brief snow period IMBY around 8 or 9z. Very thin line so it wouldn't likely pan out IMBY. I agree with what you have been thinking for up in your neck of the woods. Quick brust of snow for an hour or two. Bummer thing is it likely to happen at 3-4am.

the nam has been the warmest of all the models. And its newest 12z run has the slightest warm nose at 800 mb for mby. It looks like a good thump of snow then sleet before ending as drizzle.

The 12z NAM looks very borderline for a brief snow period IMBY around 8 or 9z.  Very thin line so it wouldn't likely pan out IMBY.  I agree with what you have been thinking for up in your neck of the woods.  Quick brust of snow for an hour or two.  Bummer thing is it likely to happen at 3-4am.

I do not think I will wait up to see what falls! Hope you see some wintry precip!

is Buncombe County always a no snow zone anymore.  I don't quite understand, every time there is a chance of snow its all around Buncombe or its everybody 2-3 inches and Buncombe a trace.  this one has me puzzled.

This has been explained on here before but here it is again.

Buncombe County is shadowed by 5k+ foot mountains to your west, north and east.  Asheville northward up the valley is the driest part of all of NC and you can thank the mountains for that.   I learned this quickly when I went to school there back in the early 90's.  We would be under a winter storm warning and end up with flurries.  Then I take a drive west to Balsam Gap in Waynesvilles and 6" would be on the gound.  Saw stuff like this many times.  Of course Asheville was clocked in the blizzard of 93 thanks to a nice moisture feed from the south.

It's just the way it is in Asheville.

post-347-0-41168100-1361198359_thumb.png

Archived