• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
95-96, 02-03, 09-10, would you have preferred less snow because some of the events weren't 6"+?

Deck Pic

less snow?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. too much snow from non K/U's?

• I savor every event in every winter
    • My prodigious record setting winters would be smaller without the small events, so for that reason alone, I cherish every event
    • I don't really care about small/moderate snow events. The blockbuster winters would have been much better without them

I love any and all snow even non accumulating....but I must admit I have grown very tired of the chase bs....even low expectations don't help me when we start a track 4-5 days out. Even in 09/10 most of the storms had my area fringed then slowly adjusted North...the one biggie locked in early and never wavered much but I was still skeptical....2-3" this week would be great but I'm not expecting that....sneak attack is fine by me

Smaller events are fun- you can't expect a clipper to give you 2 feet down this way. Some of my favorite days is just a light snow that is on existing snow cover. We had a ton of .5 to 1 after Feb 6 in 2010 and those were great days. Getting walks in a night when there is snow cover and flurries is awesome.

Tracking is tiresome at times-- but it's a part of the game.

I like any snow event we get, but it's a matter of degree and situation, too, I suppose.  For instance, this year.  The clippers were kinda cool along with some of the coldest air we've had in some years.  The light snow cover made for a wintry feel.

But let's face it, with not even a moderate...let alone big...event to follow, it did make chasing half-inch events kinda tedious.  On the other hand, in a big year (e.g., 2002-03, 2009-10) when there are a couple or so really decent events, the more minor ones really do add a lot and somehow seem more interesting.  Perhaps they get lost in the shuffle of a big winter.

Take the "clipper on 'roids" in Jan. 2003 that gave us 4" in the DC area...the 6-8" that we got sometime in early Feb. 2003 just over a week before PDII, and the prolonged light-moderate event at the end of Feb. 2003 (that technically underperformed, but anyhow).  Similarly, Jan. 30, 2010 and Feb. 2-3, 2010 prior to the big events shortly after.  Oh, and how can I forget Dec. 5 in both 2002 and 2009.  Actually, all those events were quite a bit more than anything we've followed in the past two years so at this point they seem like veritable KUs!

I guess I'm weird. I actually prefer the "smaller" events. As I said in 09-10, my dream winter would have been a Dec-feb where the temp never topped 40, never went below 20, and my 80 inches of snow fell as 16, 5" snows.

Could you imagine a 5" snow every 5 or 6 days for 3 months? That would be awesome.

I get excited for the monsters like anyone else, but they are a lot of work and create an incredible mess.

To answer the thread, I of course enjoy every event, whether it's 1" or 2'+.

But the nice thing about mid-Atlantic winters (particularly IAD and BWI points north and west) is that the really huge storms, let's say 20"+, are just as common here as they are in Providence, Boston, Hartford, and much of I95 in SNE in general. Look at the top 10 storms, a lot of us do compete well with SNE for the big ones.

I guess I'm weird. I actually prefer the "smaller" events. As I said in 09-10, my dream winter would have been a Dec-feb where the temp never topped 40, never went below 20, and my 80 inches of snow fell as 16, 5" snows.

Could you imagine a 5" snow every 5 or 6 days for 3 months? That would be awesome.

I get excited for the monsters like anyone else, but they are a lot of work and create an incredible mess.

I am the same as you. I like to get a little at a time. I enjoyed that little storm we had on Christmas Eve this year. Just enough snow to look nice but not so much that it gets you tired of it. I remember winter of 2010. I grew very tired of the huge mounds of snow all over. I actually really looked forward to Spring that year.

To answer the thread, I of course enjoy every event, whether it's 1" or 2'+.

But the nice thing about mid-Atlantic winters (particularly IAD and BWI points north and west) is that the really huge storms, let's say 20"+, are just as common here as they are in Providence, Boston, Hartford, and much of I95 in SNE in general. Look at the top 10 storms, a lot of us do compete well with SNE for the big ones.

I've seen more than my fair share of 20+ storms in my lifetime that is for sure.  I have seen 7 so far, 3 of them in 09/10.  You could even say 8 if you count the back to backs  in 87 as one, living in Baltimore for them.

Archived