• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
FORECAST DISCUSSION: "The Storm They Couldn't Punt" 2/7-2/9

HM

I keep seeing pressure falls in the northern energy. If that holds, the whole game changes, and this gets more interesting for points south.

I'm no model hugger. They are only as good as the information they are fed. My point is, this is such a complicated "Rube Goldberg" type storm with a million convoluted moving pieces, the end result will never reflect what was modeled. We watch the model change every six hours. Doesn't someone realize that is exactly how it is initialized, NOT its prediction?

How many model runs to date? Our good friends at NOAA in Mt. Holly, are calling this based on what they are seeing, a nowcast, with current real-time information.

Yes, and here's their just updated forecast: (note, my 5-10 for TTN is actually a tad on the high side based on this map)

post-39-0-30055200-1360314811_thumb.png

• Replies 883
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In any event, the warm front/coastal front appears to be setting up 75-100 off the coast of Jersey. Looking back at the Ohio Valley, the cold front is racing east, while the warm front has been moving slower. Looks like a classic sign of vertical stacking, so by day break the rapid intensification should begin. By then it should be off the NE coast of N.C.

I'm sold on those dynamics, just not the eventual boundaries of what the models forecasted. By the way, talk about cyclogenesis and rapid intensification, the thermal profile of the water this storm will traverse is incredible.

Time will tell.

By the way, look at the thermal profile of the water this storm will traverse. If that verifies, KABOOM.

I see your point, but feel this is just the model cha cha in the "end game" Time will tell.......

The gradient with this storm is going to be insane....around here there will be some pretty massive weepings and gnashing of teeth. Keep your expectations low and disregard the NAM...and be pleasantly surprised if by chance it ended up being the blind squirrel.

I've been dealing with tight gradients for the past few major snowstorms, so this is nothing new to me. Hopes high, but expectations low is the name of the game lately if you live a considerable distance from the coastal plain.

Nam and gfs where to warm at this time for the NYC metro. Should be interesting to see what happens in the next few hours

yea they both were to warm. Though the real push of warmth isn't forecasted to come til later on, that may get muted since its colder. we shall see. That r/s line is pushing north on the coef corr

Nam and gfs where to warm at this time for the NYC metro. Should be interesting to see what happens in the next few hours

Encouraging that the GFS is already too far east with the low. We're definitely riding on pins and needles here for tonight though to see how fast everything starts to really crank.

@ sp, thanks for the compliment. No where near ready for that place. Just some things i've learned from reading the boards here and what to look for. These pro forecasters/ skilled ams/ and red taggers ( and maybe even some of those mods) are an invaluable asset to this board.

PRetty impressive jet structure. The RRQ( entrance region) of a 130kt jet streak to out north, and a 110kt jet streak left exit region to our south. IN the middle, BOOM< goes the dynamite.

7a9apepa.jpg

Next time you better draw your acceleration vectors and ageostrophic vectors! :P

Yes, this jet structure is very impressive and a major reason why this southern stream s/w is going to town.

Archived