amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
FORECAST DISCUSSION: "The Storm They Couldn't Punt" 2/7-2/9

HM

• Replies 883
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@ sp, thanks for the compliment. No where near ready for that place. Just some things i've learned from reading the boards here and what to look for. These pro forecasters/ skilled ams/ and red taggers ( and maybe even some of those mods) are an invaluable asset to this board.

While I agree of course....nothing wrong for some props.

Believe as one of the original geeks....this whole experience has been incredible in terms of learning.  I was actually trying to figure out how many years it has been....must be like 12 or more...

I like the MT Holly forum....otherwise known as the PHL region.  Great crew both tagged and weenies like me.

which is exactly on mt hollys snowfall map which is a great call.

Yeah, if the GFS doesn't also shift east then their forecast is great.  The last GFS was a bit less snowy than that I think, though, so the GFS will need to trend toward the NAM.  If it also trends east then numbers might not work.

I'm nervous that the NAM is now at the bottom of my range.

The NAM has finally gotten a clue. Both the NAM and GFS indicate the potential for "banding" starting in the western and northwestern suburbs toward/around 00z and working eastward. The 6z GFS / 12z NAM soundings were even okay into PHL but cloud-top temps weren't as ideal and the SGZ wasn't as favorable. Best omega / moist SGZ gets into NW suburbs - TTN line points north just after 00z through 8-11z.

If you want a rough estimate of possible snow amounts on NAM region-wide, just take the 12 hr accumulated precip at 12z SAT and that should be in the ballpark (for those of you at work, like me, that want a quick idea).

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/nam/12/nam_namer_024_precip_p12.gif

yup thats what i did. Here is a higher res shot, though you may need a magnifying glass

NAM_221_2013020812_F24_PCPIN_12_HR.png

Hate to start to ratios talk, but for people closer to EPA/poconos region, they should be a little higher as a good percentage of the precip is from when the northern stream phases. Not talking 20:1 or anything.

(Wish casting 8-12" for camelback privately)

SREF guidance was basically 10-15:1 area wide 00z-12z SAT. It looks like the Poconos 12-18:1 are doable but the most subtle things can ruin the ability for snowflakes to branch out.

Archived