• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
FORECAST DISCUSSION: "The Storm They Couldn't Punt" 2/7-2/9

HM

As promised, if the data today moved in any direction for possible wintry effects in our area, I would make a thread.

Let's sum up the points quickly and get discussing...

1. The NAO has come around from last week due to the current clipper and PV revolving. This leads to a decent, though temporary, 50-50 low and trailing confluence.

2. MJO-induced subtropical high fueling southern stream waves

3. Excellent upper level jet structure for rapid deepening / lift

4. Modeling of s/w interaction is some of the poorest our NWP can do. The exact evolution of the 2 waves partially phasing will not be modeled correctly but reasonably.

5. Will our immediate area benefit from CAD and a developing CCB?

Let the NWP roll...

• Replies 883
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The southern wave on the NAM still looks like, well the NAM. :)

But, even with its crummy, though better than previous runs, solution, there is an excellent deformation zone from NE PA to N NJ / NY / NE. Unfortunately, we get the tombo-warned separation if the northern wave does all the work.

​Congrats on starting this thread...

first in a while I believe...

Great call on this potential from WAY out!

Thanks. Yeah between jobs, life crap etc. it has been a long while since I've made a thread. But a deal is a deal. ;)

his to me may be all or nothing from the nj turnpike northwest. If the low comes up the coast, phase I would think dynamical cooling would change rain to snow that would be heavy. If the low moves out to sea or east, little interaction we have rain showers perhaps mixed with snow. Also I see the euro control ensemble it was one of Tombo's hits for most of the region. NAM really isn't that far away from being a home run but it can't make contact and is a strike out run If moderate to heavy precipitation was falling on this NAM run on Friday it would have been cooler from 295 northwest. 

The s/w mayhem continues. GFS slows northern s/w down and the southern s/w swings out ahead. So while the precip increases, the cold air is absent.

No phase here in time for us...not even close.

It basically starts closing off farther south which is what we want...Question is, since the EURO is kind of all alone here, which set of models will cave? Or do they meet somewhere in the middle. For us in Philly it's kind of an all or nothing type deal because we need the storm to bomb farther south to get snow since we don't have enough cold air without that happening. 

So is the Euro a 5" snow for Philly?

I'm no pro, I just have the maps. I'd lean towards 3-4" because I'm not sure when the changeover comes. Would have to see soundings and stuff. Based on looking at some stuff there is def a push of warmer air into SE PA and surrounding areas. I just don't know how much of it snow. We def would get accumulating snow though if euro was 100% right. 

Archived