northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
FORECAST DISCUSSION: "The Storm They Couldn't Punt" 2/7-2/9

HM

• Replies 883
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is that warm nose at 950mb a huge deal or just mean wet snow?

Unless I've been reading a skew-t wrong all these years, that "nose" is below freezing.

yea i mentioned that to ray earlier. It definitely phased in a little earlier. Regardless these qpf totals are way out of wack, nothing supports this model wise.

Yeah it's hard to get even rain storms w/ 3-4" in <24 hrs.

Folks over in the NYC thread are going nuts over this new NAM run.

It appears to be that a slightly quicker phase has brought the 00z NAM closer with the CCB. However, those amounts are ludicrous.

the hi res nam is spitting out 10"+ for parts of coastal ocean& monmouth counties...

BS aside, this storm is going to be SUPER dynamic. Lot of people will see Thundersnow.

It appears to be that a slightly quicker phase has brought the 00z NAM closer with the CCB. However, those amounts are ludicrous.

yea i don't see those amounts occuring..  they also need to look at soundings cause they waste about 2 inches of qpf on non snow.

NAM snow map shows around 45 inches imby.

Cut those total by 50%, I still get hammered.

Overall the NAM run was a beast for NW NJ.

I can only hope the GFS shows some love :sled: 

Latest Wxsim with 0z NAM and 18z GFS for the NW Philly burbs

Shows a period of heavy snow in the AM with 1 to 3" before mixing for a while

Then back to heavy snow by 4pm with another 10" or so before ending by 4am on Saturday - total snow 10" to 13"

Of interest temps are running around 3 degrees colder than the Wxsim models

I honestly think someone in the NE lollipops at nearly 4' of snow.  It could be as close to PHL as northern NJ, but I think anyone in Western NY/RI/Mass/SNH would all have a chance at it.  And I am insanely jealous.  So tired of these lame duck winters out here!

Good to see the home base is now in the 4-8" range when before it looked like a rain storm.  I bet Montco on north sees 6"+ as the baseline.  Good luck folks--tell the next one to come our way! =D

Ray or Tom:  With the transition to wet snow and the tremendous precipitation rates by evening, do you guys have any feeling whether we’re looking at a threat to trees and power lines in the Philly suburbs? I ‘m guessing snow will become more powdery after a few hours, but not really sure.

Ray or Tom:  With the transition to wet snow and the tremendous precipitation rates by evening, do you guys have any feeling whether we’re looking at a threat to trees and power lines in the Philly suburbs? I ‘m guessing snow will become more powdery after a few hours, but not really sure.

It could be an issue.  Depends on how fast temps drop once rain changes to snow.  Also depends on wind; wind can actually reduce the snow load.  Someone posted that they saw a bunch of utility trucks mobilizing. 

So, one wonders what Mt. Holly will do with the next product issuance. Think they'll wait til the GFS run is in?? Wouldn't shock me at all to see the advisories upgraded to warnings, a tier of new advisories further S & W, and snowfall in the warned areas increased....

NAM QPF is almost certainly overdone.  I don't know what they would do, but I would wait.

Archived