CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Friday February 8th Storm Potential

Edge Weather

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Damnnnn. That is nice. I just wish the euro had more support for this solution.

You have support the Euro .And thats all you will need 2 days out . Chill and dont look to the GFS as insurance .

Its a lagger and comes late to every Northeast snowstorm

It's just odd to see what the Euro depicts given the indicies presented. We'll have a slightly negative AO and a slightly positive PNA/NAO.

This is when you go to the drawing board. Models are showing an east based NAO, a decent ridge out west which the euro and other models are trending better with, and of course the MJO, which is in a prime phase for an east coast storm

You have support the Euro .And thats all you will need 2 days out . Chill and dont look to the GFS as insurance .

We would all feel a lot more comfortable if the other models gave in to the Euro because if the Euro trends the other way or toward the other models, then we're screwed. (A very realistic possibility).

Anything possible , I go back to 1982 - 1996 - 2003 - 2005 - and yes 2010 , The GFS had each of those systems SE of us just 2 days before .

Now I would much rather focus on the pattern as oppose to who caves . If anything tonite , I was more worried about a track too close to the coast and not an escape .

I just think the GFS makes this mistake over and over again . Again at this point it will be like waiting at the finish line for you`re fat friend to come accross , thats what will happen when the NAM and GFS come north and west for me later at 12z or 0z tonite

thanks.  it'll be interesting to see the euro ensembles and the later nam/gfs. 

from the NE thread

"Hard to tell...it looks NYC does ok....esp for the 2nd half of the storm....ensmeble mean is always dangerous, but I think NYC gets a good warning event on the ensembles...LI looks even better"

You may see Blizzard Warnings up over Long Island on FRI the CCB after it starts as rain is intense and some parts may gust to Hurricane Force .

If parts of the Island saw 12 - 18 ,  I  dont think it would shock me .

In  Boston , DT says 50 -50 they get into there top 5 with this , thats 25 plus . so some insane numbers once you go North and East .

Without going overboard at this stage, I can certainly see the NYC metro region getting a solid 8-12" snowstorm if the Euro is right with the possibility for higher amounts, even Philly would see accumulating snow. Today is going to be an important day model wise since we are now closing in on 48 hours or so before the start of this event. Regardless of the outcome I think both NYC and Philly will see snow at some point during the storm.

You may see Blizzard Warnings up over Long Island on FRI the CCB after it starts as rain is intense and some parts may gust to Hurricane Force .

If parts of the Island saw 12 - 18 ,  I  dont think it would shock me .

In  Boston , DT says 50 -50 they get into there top 5 with this , thats 25 plus . so some insane numbers once you go North and East .

the thought of possible blizzards warnings after the last two years....is just amazing

but I'd be happy with anything that does better than these past few "storms".... just something with a little more substance

Exactly this. The GFS has SE biases and overdoing primary biases in these setups at this range always has and always will. Euro will end up embarassing the GFS on this one if the GFS doesn't come around to the Euro solution (whatever that ends up being) eventually.

Here's a comparison between the Euro Op and Euro Ensm for 72 and 96 hours wrt H500 and cutoff locations....would really love to see hour 84, though. Mean is a little faster, but it looks like the impacts for the area would be similar to the OP run.

attachicon.gifecm_z500_anom_east_4.png

attachicon.gifecm_eps_z500a_east_4.png

attachicon.gifecm_z500_anom_east_5.png

attachicon.gifecm_eps_z500a_east_5.png

Hr 84 cuts off 500mb over the BM on the ensembles.

Archived