amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
February Pattern and Storm Discussion

POWERSTROKE

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

#3 The euro is just as cold in that time frame as the gefs, it just dumps the core in the west. So really both models are just as cold.

But it still isn't as cold for the SE. Why do you keep saying both models are equally cold based on the Euro being colder out west when the SE is clearly warmer on the Euro? Isn't it much more important how cold it is in the SE, itself? If the core of the cold is really dumped out west, it won't get as cold in the SE as it would modify on its way here. The Euro is ~7 F warmer in the 11-15 in the SE US. It seems like you're assuming the Euro is going to be wrong in dumping the cold out west. Nonbody knows that at this time.

But it still isn't as cold for the SE. Why do you keep saying both models are equally cold based on the Euro being colder out west when the SE is clearly warmer on the Euro? Isn't it much more important how cold it is in the SE, itself? If the core of the cold is really dumped out west, it won't get as cold in the SE as it would modify on its way here. The Euro is ~7 F warmer in the 11-15 in the SE US. It seems like you're assuming the Euro is going to be wrong in dumping the cold out west. Nonbody knows that at this time.

Agree with this...don't have consensus...it's a wait and see

I never said which model is right or wrong. The best thing to do is usually take a blend of the two. And if you want to know where I stand I think the trough axis sets up in the plains to start. My point is that the GFS and Euro are both as cold as each other. One dumps the cold into the west the other in the east. You can't just say " GFS cold bias" and move on. Most of this has to do with the handling of the features in the Pacific. The euro also has a bias of digging troughs into the southwest. This causes height rises in the southeast (warmer temps). Maybe the gfs is too cold in the long range, I don't really pay attention to that. I am mainly looking at 500mb patterns.

^

Just sitting back waiting to see what the models do for a few runs ...

Actually, I know Allan is having some site issues but for whatever reason I'm having difficulty getting other model sites to run right now.

So, here's a polite request for some verbal summary to supplement what's been posted above.

^

Just sitting back waiting to see what the models do for a few runs ...

Actually, I know Allan is having some site issues but for whatever reason I'm having difficulty getting other model sites to run right now.

So, here's a polite request for some verbal summary to supplement what's been posted above.

Use this site    

http://www.instantweathermaps.com/ECMWF-php/showmap-ecmwf.php?run=2013020612&region=USA&var=TMP_850mb&hour=192

12Z Euro is quite a bit warmer than the 12Z GFS in the 8-10 day and it again has no sig. SE winter storm in the 6-10 day.

Edit: day 10 map suggests no significant SE cold soon afterward. Suggests more of  a -PNAish pattern.

Edit #2: 12Z Euro suggests the cold 12Z GFS day 10 map is on crack and vice versa.

Yes, a much different rain storm.

1021mb "high" pressure - LOL.

Canadian has the best track, by far, of all the models and it still basically never gets below freezing anywhere in NC and almost all of Virginia.

Euro is not even close. GFS is a Lakes Cutter.

This "event" is going nowhere and the pattern looks terrible down the line despite day after day of anomoly maps showing how great it is.

12z cmc at 168, much different than the gfs.

GZ_D5_PN_168_0000.gif

yep shows signs of a pna.....

Yes, it does...but much closer to a -PNA than a +PNA on day 10 of the 12Z Euro. A -PNA is generally not good for cold in the SE. Cold out west and maybe into the Plains? Yes, that's a different story. If the cold ever gets to the SE, it would normally be quite modified by then.

Edit: The 12Z Euro 228 hour map is actually worse looking than the 0Z Euro 240 hour map imo. Not a good run for SE cold lovers.

Yes, it does...but much closer to a -PNA than a +PNA on day 10 of the 12Z Euro. A -PNA is generally not good for cold in the SE. Cold out west and maybe into the Plains? Yes, that's a different story. If the cold ever gets to the SE, it would normally be quite modified by then.

Edit: The 12Z Euro 228 hour map is actually worse looking than the 0Z Euro 240 hour map imo. Not a good run for SE cold lovers.

your right larry. so now we have the gfs and its ensembles vs the euro and its ensembles.

ill go with the euro

yea I just got a call to go help plow in New York supposedly around 2 feet coming

Latest EURO in...nothing major for NY standards. 6-12" for NYC. 24-36" showing up in Massachusetts tho. 

I have a friend from Billerica MA, I'll see if I can get some pics and post in the banter later. EURO has 2'+ there. 

From Robert's WxSouth Facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/WxSouth

"European also joining GFS in the longer range. 5 days ago the GFS was showing a building amplified ridge out west and deep trough for central states, bringing in a cold blast and active weather. Now the GFS has it within its 9 and 10 day maps, so does the European, so this is getting more support. It looks like a very active period is coming and probably the most snowy of the Winter so far for some areas, but it's hard to say who will bear the brunt of the February snowstorms (besides New England soon). Considering all factors, the central and eastern states will probably have a very active Winter storm pattern by mid February, with several snowstorms and some of them could be blockbusters for some areas. That includes Oklahoma to Kentucky, Tennessee, the Carolinas and Virginia, northern Ms/Al/Ga as this area will be the likely storm tracks.

Example of the extreme ridge (Euro has the ridge strong on day 10, and getting stronger/taller later on most likely)"

From Robert's WxSouth Facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/WxSouth

"European also joining GFS in the longer range. 5 days ago the GFS was showing a building amplified ridge out west and deep trough for central states, bringing in a cold blast and active weather. Now the GFS has it within its 9 and 10 day maps, so does the European, so this is getting more support. It looks like a very active period is coming and probably the most snowy of the Winter so far for some areas, but it's hard to say who will bear the brunt of the February snowstorms (besides New England soon). Considering all factors, the central and eastern states will probably have a very active Winter storm pattern by mid February, with several snowstorms and some of them could be blockbusters for some areas. That includes Oklahoma to Kentucky, Tennessee, the Carolinas and Virginia, northern Ms/Al/Ga as this area will be the likely storm tracks.

Example of the extreme ridge (Euro has the ridge strong on day 10, and getting stronger/taller later on most likely)"

I haven't seen the model run yet since I'm at work but I saw this on FB and thought the euro had to be a decent run in the extended. Then I came here and started reading and didn't know what to think. I'll have to check the euro when I get home but what's being said here sure didn't sound like what Robert was saying.

I haven't seen the model run yet since I'm at work but I saw this on FB and thought the euro had to be a decent run in the extended. Then I came here and started reading and didn't know what to think. I'll have to check the euro when I get home but what's being said here sure didn't sound like what Robert was saying.

Yeah, there's an obvious big disconnect in our opinions. Maybe Robert is referring to the 0Z Euro op. run, which looked a bit better than the 12Z op. Euro at the end?

The 11-15 day 12Z Euro ensemble mean is colder in the SE than the 6-10. However, like the 11-15 day 12Z CDN ens. and the 11-15 0Z Euro/CDN ens's, it is not nearly as cold as reent GFS ens. means.

Archived