• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Snow threats for the mountains.

Met1985

Interestingly enough the new Euro and also the UKMET say even down to the northern burbs of ATL we could see a few flakes tomorrow, especially if the precip lasts into tomorrow night. Nothing will stick of course but this winter I will take what I will get. I will be in Alpharetta drinking beer tomorrow so maybe I can see something. May even toodle on up north further if the mood strikes. Too bad it is Super Bowl Sunday weekend (have a party to attend), or a road trip to Boone would have been in order.

• Replies 888
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Already a WWA for most.

AVERY-MADISON-YANCEY-MITCHELL-SWAIN-HAYWOOD-GRAHAM-NORTHERN JACKSON-MACON-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...NEWLAND...SPRUCE PINE...BRYSON CITY...WAYNESVILLE...SYLVA...FRANKLIN329 PM EST FRI FEB 1 2013...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM NOON SATURDAY TO NOONEST SUNDAY...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG HAS ISSUEDA WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM NOONSATURDAY TO NOON EST SUNDAY.* LOCATIONS...THE WESTERN MOUNTAINS OF NORTH CAROLINA.* HAZARDS...LIGHT SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS.* TIMING...SNOW WILL OVERSPREAD THE AREA SATURDAY AFTERNOON. THE  SNOW WILL END IN SOME AREAS SATURDAY EVENING...BUT SNOW SHOWERS  WILL PERSIST ACROSS THE TENNESSEE BORDER COUNTIES THROUGH AT  LEAST SUNDAY MORNING.* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 2 TO 5 INCHES. LOCALLY  HIGHER AMOUNTS IN THE HIGH ELEVATIONS ALONG THE TENNESSEE  BORDER.* IMPACTS...HAZARDOUS DRIVING CONDITIONS MAY DEVELOP...ESPECIALLY  IN THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS.* TEMPERATURES...LOWS SATURDAY NIGHT AROUND 30.* WINDS...WEST 5 TO 15 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 30 MPH.

Even down into North GA.

MURRAY-FANNIN-GILMER-UNION-TOWNS-258 PM EST FRI FEB 1 2013...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM NOON SATURDAY TO 7 AMEST SUNDAY...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN PEACHTREE CITY HAS ISSUED AWINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM NOONSATURDAY TO 7 AM EST SUNDAY.* LOCATIONS...MURRAY...FANNIN...GILMER...UNION AND TOWNS COUNTIES.* HAZARD TYPES...SNOW.* ACCUMULATIONS...UP TO 1 INCH OF SNOW.* TIMING...SATURDAY AND SATURDAY NIGHT.* IMPACTS...PRIMARILY TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES.* WINDS...WEST 5 TO 10 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 20 MPH.* TEMPERATURES...HIGH IN THE 30S TO LOWER 40S SATURDAY. LOWS IN THE  UPPER 20S TO LOWER 30S SATURDAY NIGHT.

GSP shows a trace east of the mountains?

Blurb in GSP discussion:

MODEL SOLUTIONS CONTINUE THE TREND OF SPREADING SOME VERY LIGHT

PRECIP INTO THE PIEDMONT...OWING TO LESS OF A DOWNSLOPE COMPONENT IN

THE PRE-FRONTAL ENVIRONMENT. POPS HAVE BEEN INCREASED TO SLIGHT/LOW

CHANCE IN MOST AREAS. IF PRECIP DOES FALL ACROSS THE FOOTHILLS/

PIEDMONT OF NORTH CAROLINA...IT WILL LIKELY BE IN THE FORM OF A VERY

-RA/-SN MIX.

My wife took this around 11am today from mby in northern Mitchell county, NC as the NWFS cranked down...just over 2 inches here @ 2600'...View is looking North toward the TN line...NC 226 north traverses through this valley before it becomes TN 107 at the Iron Mtn gap

Beautiful picture. Living in the mountains is awsome especially when it snows.

18z still looks good for snow in NE AL and into Northern GA and in East TN and WNC.

but why is it that buncombe county is not in the wwa again.  its hard to believe every time we have a shot at snow everyone around us is in a wwa but not buncombe county.  maybe they'll put us under one later.  i was hoping for maybe a couple of inches out of this one since last night and last week was a skiffing.  everyone keeps saying how good wnc as a whole looks and more precip. keeps showing up with each run.

but why is it that buncombe county is not in the wwa again.  its hard to believe every time we have a shot at snow everyone around us is in a wwa but not buncombe county.  maybe they'll put us under one later.  i was hoping for maybe a couple of inches out of this one since last night and last week was a skiffing.  everyone keeps saying how good wnc as a whole looks and more precip. keeps showing up with each run.

Ya it seems like Madison county really takes away the moisture from yall. Although last night the Northern part of the county got some good snows. I think that yall may get into the Advisory by tomorrow morning depending on how things trend.

Ya it seems like Madison county really takes away the moisture from yall. Although last night the Northern part of the county got some good snows. I think that yall may get into the Advisory by tomorrow morning depending on how things trend.

i guess what hurts us is 2200 as opposed to your 3500 ft.  well hopefully things will keep trending wetter and by morning we'll be in a wwa,  I've seen this happen before.  oh yea northern buncombe my mom had a inch and a half and we had some flurries and I'm only 20 minutes from her.

.SHORT TERM /6 AM SATURDAY MORNING THROUGH MONDAY/...AS OF 155 PM FRIDAY...A FAST MOVING CLIPPER SHORT WAVE TROUGH ANDATTENDANT SURFACE FRONT WILL SWEEP ACROSS THE REGION SATURDAY NIGHT.THE WAVE WILL PENETRATE FAR ENOUGH SOUTH THAT IT SHOULD BE ABLE TOTAP INTO SOME LOW LEVEL MOISTURE WITHIN SW LOW LEVEL FLOW. ALTHOUGHFORCING WILL NOT BE GREAT...THERE IS A BRIEF WINDOW OF TIME SATURDAYAFTERNOON WHEN MODEL CROSS SECTIONS DEPICT A FAIRLY IMPRESSIVECROSS-HAIR SIGNATURE ATOP INCREASING LOW LEVEL MOISTURE IN THESOUTHWEST NC MTNS. HOWEVER...SOME OF THIS FORCING WILL BE WASTED ONSATURATING THE DRY LOW LEVEL AIR MASS...AND THE LATE START TO THEPRECIP SUGGESTS THAT IT WILL BEGIN AS A RAIN/SNOW MIX IN THEVALLEYS. HOWEVER...WET BULB EFFECT SHOULD RESULT IN PREDOMINANTLYSNOW BY LATE AFTERNOON/EARLY EVENING ACROSS MOST AREAS OF THE NC ANDFAR NORTH GEORGIA MTNS. THE HIGHEST QPF/ACCUMS THROUGH TOMORROWEVENING ARE EXPECTED TO OCCUR IN THE SOUTHWEST MTNS...WHERE UPSLOPEENHANCEMENT IN THE STRONG W/SW LOW LEVEL FLOW IS EXPECTED TO RESULTIN A COUPLE OF INCHES IN MOST AREAS. LIGHTER AMOUNTS ARE EXPECTEDFARTHER NORTH...BUT MOST LOCATIONS ACROSS THE TENNESSEE BORDERCOUNTIES SHOULD SEE AN INCH OR TWO BY LATE SATURDAY EVENING.

Archived