amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
February 2-3 Potential Super Bowl Storm Discussion

Mitchel Volk

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it's a norlun scenario, then we're probably screwed. Anything past 48 hrs on the Nam should be taken very lightly. I think it took a big step back from its previous run. 

Actually, it was a step forward.  There was more digging on this run compared to the 12z run.

Are inverted troughs always nowcasted?

Many times that's how it works out. The models give a general signal, but location and amounts

of snow are usually better forecast in the short term. Sometimes it's the best hope in a La

Nina-like  pattern with a dominant northern stream where the secondary low gets going too

far offshore. The really memorable ones are on the rare side here. December 1988 was

one of the all time greats during a strong la Nina year.

The flow is way too fast for us to benefit. Probably just some light snows as is the usual with these clippers anyway. 

I'm not optimistic about this unless a mechanism can slow the flow down, or the trough amplifies further west somehow. The flow looks too messy, and it's impossible to rely on an inverted trough setting up even 24 hours out. I'd be a lot more optimistic if I were in eastern New England as they have more room for error than us. If I were to guess now I'd assume a coating to 2 inch type deal like we've been having.

Many times that's how it works out. The models give a general signal, but location and amounts

of snow are usually better forecast in the short term. Sometimes it's the best hope in a La

Nina-like  pattern with a dominant northern stream where the secondary low gets going too

far offshore. The really memorable ones are on the rare side here. December 1988 was

one of the all time greats during a strong la Nina year.

attachicon.gifScreen shot 2013-01-31 at 8.23.36 AM 09-00-11-801.png

The signal for this event is very strong at 500-850, even stronger than it was for the event in SNE that busted a couple of weeks back.  If you look at the 500 heights on the link below from the early evening on 12/13/88 you can see how remarkably close that 500 map looks, obviously the surface low is much closer this time but I think its a pretty good chance an inverted trof is forming somewhere between CNJ and Boston with this event but where or how intense is not even possible at this point to say.

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~fxg1/NARR/1988/us1214.php

These systems are 1 to 3  inch type events . I  have to ignore the Norlun look this far out , because they are NEVER modeled well.

I  will stick to the clipper coming to the coast and snowing . These aren`t big events but each of these may put down snow cover throughout this board.

As far as UPTONs AFD , if its a really light event , the immediate coast could mix at the end , But it starts as snow everywhere and if the system is deep enough , it will stay snow in most places. Thermo profiles will get clearer over the next 24 hours , as  the models start to agree on the real position and strength of the SW as it hits the coast . But both UPTON and MT Holly allude to  the above concern .

But unless you live in SNJ , Eastern LI or an immediate south facing shore IMO  I wouldnt worry about Rain .

Norluns are great , super tight gradient and stationary . Its like driving from PULASKI  to WATERTOWN  .   within 30 mins of driving, you go from 2 inches to 8 and back to 2 on the other side ... They do love NE though ,so I am cautious .

see how important it is to have the indicies favorable ?- if they were - fair chance we would be talking about 1 - 2 feet for parts of the area

Not from a clipper. In a perfect weenie world would we have all of the indicies in a favorable state. In reality, that doesn't happen often at all. I'll take what I can get. 

Archived