Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
February 2-3 Potential Super Bowl Storm Discussion

Mitchel Volk

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The NAM has the first SW shooting out too fast, so when the much stronger SW moves in the moisture is stolen from the first weaker SW.  The upper level dynamics are excellent for a major storm, if things phase up right.  Since, the trough is negatively tilted with strong PVA I do see some potential from this.  It is a very complex storm so the models will have trouble forecasting it.  Since things will happen after 48hrs I would trust tonight's GFS run more.

The NAM has the first SW shooting out too fast, so when the much stronger SW moves in the moisture is stolen from the first weaker SW.  The upper level dynamics are excellent for a major storm, if things phase up right.  Since, the trough is negatively tilted with strong PVA I do see some potential from this.  It is a very complex storm so the models will have trouble forecasting it.  Since things will happen after 48hrs I would trust tonight's GFS run more.

But how do you get a major storm when the NAO is positive and the PNA is neutral or MAYBE slightly positive and the AO is positive ?

GFS is east and more progressive-just look at how fast the negatively tilting trough is forced east and therefore can't dig out a low until it's way too late. Just about ready to write this one off for anything more than our usual coating to 2" snow. There's potential for the inverted trough but that's anyone's guess and could very easily just be nothing. I think the most we can expect is that some snow will hopefully be on the ground again soon. This winter just won't allow for anything beyond these disorganized and sheared clippers.

.12 perhaps..not much more.

No reason to believe these fast moving systems are going to produce anymore then a inch. Models love to to tease us around day 3-4. Can't wait to nail this winter shut

Absolutely. At least last winter didn't offer these teases. Hopefully we get our usual March megatorch and go from there.

Archived