e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
January 29-31 Wintry Weather

wisconsinwx

• Replies 908
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Snow surprisingly light despite good radar returns.  Must still be mixed with a little rain or something.  Probably a few tenths so far. 

Looks like it should rip in Madison for at least the next few hours.

Just the opposite here.  Just blue over us on radar, but the snow has really picked up.  Beautiful moderate snow with moderate-size flakes, really not much wind so it's falling vertically and not horizontally.  This storm is much more enjoyable than the December that had 3.5 inches of cement followed by some dry fluff that was impossible to measure due to ridiculous wind.  This snow is light, but moist enough to not drift much.

Just the opposite here.  Just blue over us on radar, but the snow has really picked up.  Beautiful moderate snow with moderate-size flakes, really not much wind so it's falling vertically and not horizontally.  This storm is much more enjoyable than the December that had 3.5 inches of cement followed by some dry fluff that was impossible to measure due to ridiculous wind.  This snow is light, but moist enough to not drift much.

Good to see CR get it good after getting the shaft with the 12/20 system.

Storm a huge disappointment here, but still looking forward to the mood flakes later today/tonight when the back-end snow showers rotate through.  At least it will look somewhat wintry again for the first time in a long time.

Brutal, not only that but all of our predictions will bust hard, probably harder than most of the mets whose predictions will also bust in many cases.  Local mets here should've stuck with 1-3" as most were going with earlier yesterday.

These ultra-dynamic wrapped up SW flow systems are always the worst to try to figure out.  They always seem to throw all kinds of wrenches into the forecast.  Overaggressive WAA, dry slot issues, cold-sector cut off from convection, etc.  Can be quite rewarding if your backyard cashes in, but more often than not they tend to be heart breakers. 

FWIW riding my 5.5" MKE call terrible

Bonus Callz

Cyclone-3.1 terrible

Cortland, IL-1.9" terrible

Turtletown-6.8" probably bust high

Central DuPage Co, IL-.6" likely bust high

ORD-.3" probably bust high

Mt. Geos!-1" terrible

MBY-.1" probably bust high..decent call

LAF-6 mood flakes decent call

Take 'em to the bank folks

cyclone77, on 29 Jan 2013 - 12:32, said:snapback.png

Not bad.

I'll go with..

Hawkeye/Natester:  4.8"

DLL/Saints:  3.2"

Dubuque:  6.0"

Turtle:  6.6"

Bowme:  5.2"

QC:  4.2"

Here:  4.0"

Chicago Storm:  2.5"

Geos!:  3.2"

Alek:  1.4"

LAF crowd:  0.6"

Still gonna ride with this.  I'm gonna keep riding the high-res models, even if I go down in flames lol.

Someone get a fire extinguisher lol.

FWIW, 12Z GFS actually is wetter for SC WI with the 12Z-0Z 12hr QPF today than the 6Z run (big blob of >.5" QPF vs. none earlier).  I was thinking it will be hard to get to the heavier amounts here over 6 inches after looking at the diminishing returns already on the QC radar, but maybe it will hold out long enough.

Since it looks like snow is going to be pretty wet this morning when it's coming down the heaviest, lower than expected ratios probably will limit our accumulation even if we do get over .5" water equivalent.  I'm thinking up by La Crosse they may end up with more snow but less water equivalent than us.  

Changed over to sn in RFD about 9:35 (10 mins ago). Changeover was clean, no mixed precip, just rain then boom snow. Its accumulating surprisingly quick. Flakes were huge for a few minutes and now medium size.

Started accumulating quickly here as well until the flake size dropped off.  Pavement still just wet and have actually seen our few tenths in the grass melt a bit, probably due to the ground still warm/wet.

Looking at the trends it's not out of the question we still see 2" here, but that should be about tops, as we wasted too much precip on rain and sleet.  Nice intense band right along the WI/IL border heading N/NNE, so if that is all snow, could be ripping for 15 minutes anyway.

Yeah, that could be heavy for you. I am sitting here grinding my teeth on whether we will get our first synoptic inch or more today. We are on the line...again. Yeah, yeah I know I will get LES, but I would like to see more than an inch of REAL snow this season. Taking LES out of the equation, it is amazing that we still haven't been an inch of synoptic snow..and it is about February,

Just talked to my nephew who goes to college here...said the roads were the worse he's seen them in a long time...cars off the road all over..s.aid he saw a city worker stuck down a steep hill and could tell the guy had made several attempts to get back up but was going nowhere (2 wheel drive truck)...  Said once he got out of his truck at UW-L all he could hear were sirens...

Yeah, that could be heavy for you. I am sitting here grinding my teeth on whether we will get our first synoptic inch or more today. We are on the line...again. Yeah, yeah I know I will get LES, but I would like to see more than an inch of REAL snow this season. Taking LES out of the equation, it is amazing that we still haven't been an inch of synoptic snow..and it is about February,

Yep, it was close for you to begin with and now with the last minute change where the hi-res models showed a SE bias, it is even more difficult.  I'm not sure what to tell you, other than thank goodness for the lake.

Looking at the trends it's not out of the question we still see 2" here, but that should be about tops, as we wasted too much precip on rain and sleet.  Nice intense band right along the WI/IL border heading N/NNE, so if that is all snow, could be ripping for 15 minutes anyway.

It isn't snow! Not even a mix down here. This weather this morning is bogus! Was expecting some good flakes flying by this time! :fulltilt:

It isn't snow! Not even a mix down here. This weather this morning is bogus! Was expecting some good flakes flying by this time! :fulltilt:

Well here it is mostly snow.  I'm sorry to say it but you might be just on the negative side of the gradient of this storm.  The reason looks to be that the low will move or is moving pretty much right through Chicago again.  The most recent GFS and NAM showed that as the track.

Well here it is mostly snow.  I'm sorry to say it but you might be just on the negative side of the gradient of this storm.  The reason looks to be that the low will move or is moving pretty much right through Chicago again.  The most recent GFS and NAM showed that as the track.

Did the last model shift around again? It's dropping but painfully slowly. 34.0° right now.

GL on accumulations! Hopefully this band can wrap back on itself as the cold air bleeds south. Looks like the snow is only 15-20 miles from here.

Archived