Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 28th Minor Icing Event

Isopycnic

38  and I am 5 miles from you.

You are out by the Airport if I remember. Not unusual on radiational cooling nights for me to head to town and be as much as 7-10 degrees colder. When I'm approaching town several miles out the temp will start to rise. On cloudy nights we are uniform as I'm sure will be the case tomorrow morning . Once clouds thicken up everything will balance out.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are out by the Airport if I remember. Not unusual on radiational cooling nights for me to head to town and be as much as 7-10 degrees colder. When I'm approaching town several miles out the temp will start to rise. On cloudy nights we are uniform as I'm sure will be the case tomorrow morning . Once clouds thicken up everything will balance out.

Can u guys post your location? FWIW I live about 5 miles from GSO airport and see the same temp disparity on calm clear nights.

Tw

36.4/27 I'm still not sure it will get below freezing tonight here?

You can wet bulb down to 32.5 according to the stats I just ran for there.

North Wilkesboro is down to 32...your probably still going to drop but slowly. 

Moisture to our west and developing...a second batch is just now moving into view north-west of Chattanooga. 

555451_398359563590377_1082901795_n.jpg

Well, this 'silly' just came across on Facebook...

NBC17

Don't want you to miss this: Wake County Schools on a 3 hour delay Monday....Durham Public on 2 hour delay.

Edit: We just got a phone from the Wake County school system advising us of tomorrow's delay... problem is, we don't have any children in school, and we don't live in Wake County!!! :D

I just got a call also about the 3 hour delay.  I wasn't paying any attention to this due to I thought it was for the NC/Va state line area.  I received the call from Wake County and didn't have a clue what they were talking about.  Now, all of sudden everybody is calling me asking what is going on. 

Be interesting to see if the moisture reaches the ground. It's only got a few hours to do so and some dry air to overcome. Raleigh east should have no problem with temps since they are benefitting the most from radiational cooling. Further west it's gonna be tough to wet bulb. On sugar it's above freezing up top and at the base. Waiting to see how their temps drop and Wilkes does since they would be the first to get under precip. Really all this event is good for is getting some folks/kids a couple extra hours of shut eye tomorrow morning.

Be interesting to see if the moisture reaches the ground. It's only got a few hours to do so and some dry air to overcome. Raleigh east should have no problem with temps since they are benefitting the most from radiational cooling. Further west it's gonna be tough to wet bulb. On sugar it's above freezing up top and at the base. Waiting to see how their temps drop and Wilkes does since they would be the first to get under precip. Really all this event is good for is getting some folks/kids a couple extra hours of shut eye tomorrow morning.

True, you have to actually be in the wedge. Notice the lack of advisories in south-west Virginia and Tennessee. Already 32 in Wilkes...its a few hours of showers...but probably several hours of freezing drizzle. 

Archived